Time in a Bottle

Sidetrack

I'm looking to build an attack that would place a target into a fragile 'bottle'. Inside the bottle no time passes. Basically, if successful, the target would be out of action and preserved until someone released them. External energy sources like heat or radiation wouldn't cause any changes/damage to the target, but just a little physical damage would break the bottle.

This seems to fit the concept:

Time in a Bottle: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Dimension - Null Time), Usable As Attack (+1) (40 Active Points); Physical Manifestation (-1/4)

...but too cheap for the effect. Would Transform, Suppress, Entangle, Desolidify, etc... be more appropriate?

Re: Time in a Bottle

If you feel like it should cost more you could always adjust the cost; or take the EDM and add an Entangle that takes no damage from attacks but is vulnerable to the bottle being broken. What I'm thinking is that the EDM itself doesn't prevent the trapped character from moving around in the Null Time dimension, so you add the Entangle to represent their limited movement.

But really, use the EDM build and make it cost what you think it should.

Make it Extradimensional Movement, through time, forward to the point at which the bottle is broken.

This still might seem a little cheap, but it will neatly sidestep "moving around in the Null Time Dimension" or questions of the victim being conscious or aware of the passage of time and "does he age if it's many years before the bottle is broken" etc.

If Time Manipulation Powers (or whatever the special defense is) are particularly rare, some form of "Attack Versus Alternate Defense" Advantage may be appropriate.

You can also consider Difficult to Dispel, Power Defense, and if you're defining the bottle as a Focus, Energy Defense, Damage Negation, and Damage Reduction, limited to only protect the bottle.

Now it should cost plenty.

Lucius Alexander

Defense: Palindromedary

Lucius

Lucius' idea is very cunning - although one might argue that 'the time the bottle is broken' is a bit vague - it might never get broken.

A very expensive way to do it - but quite legal, I think - would be this:

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Point in Time, Physical Location Same As Starting Location), Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Breaking bottle; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) (140 Active Points)

You actually travel through time to the time you were PUT in the bottle - which means that for you no time passes. When you are released you are 'personally' at the time you were imprisoned - which is why you could not do anything in the interim - there wasn't one - but the rest of the 'verse has moved on. Making it constant means that you keep travelling back to the start until the cycle - or the bottle in this case - is broken. It is a powerful effect though.

Lucius' idea is very cunning - although one might argue that 'the time the bottle is broken' is a bit vague - it might never get broken.

A very expensive way to do it - but quite legal, I think - would be this:

Extra-Dimensional Movement (Single Point in Time, Physical Location Same As Starting Location), Costs Endurance Only To Activate (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Uncontrolled (Breaking bottle; +1/2), Usable As Attack (+1 1/4) (140 Active Points)

You actually travel through time to the time you were PUT in the bottle - which means that for you no time passes. When you are released you are 'personally' at the time you were imprisoned - which is why you could not do anything in the interim - there wasn't one - but the rest of the 'verse has moved on. Making it constant means that you keep travelling back to the start until the cycle - or the bottle in this case - is broken. It is a powerful effect though.

Very powerful, similar to how Stasis fields worked in Larry Niven's Known Space. Luckily, nothing can affect you in this stasis build either.

I actually had a PC Time Mage with this ability in my old campaign, though it was Sticky (touch it and you're also drawn into stasis), which tended to offset it's versatility somewhat.

Make it Extradimensional Movement' date=' [i']through time,[/i] forward to the point at which the bottle is broken.

If Time Manipulation Powers (or whatever the special defense is) are particularly rare, some form of "Attack Versus Alternate Defense" Advantage may be appropriate.

You can also consider Difficult to Dispel, Power Defense, and if you're defining the bottle as a Focus, Energy Defense, Damage Negation, and Damage Reduction, limited to only protect the bottle.

Very interesting ideas...

No extra DEF for the bottle though, it should be fragile... easy to dispel is actually more what I'm going for, but AVAD Time Powers and EDM definitely fits the ticket

The constant time loop sounds cool, but putting an 'expiration date' on the bottle would fit more with what I'm trying to do, a 1000 year bottle would be fine. In the interim though, the physical location would have to be variable, with the idea that the target could be collected and then toted around or shelved somewhere.

So... The time limit is fairly straightforward, but how would I handle the variable physical location? The EDM itself would have no effect on physical location, the target would have to be moved by conventional means. Physical location isn't neccessarily Starting location, but would it need to be Any Physical Location?

no - i think the fact that the location has to be moved manually, and that the person who banishes the person to the bottle may have no control about where the bottle ends up when it gets broken, would make up for any advantage you get for being able to move the bottle

Y'know, somehow, I'm pretty confident that at some point between the evocation of the Power, and the heat-death of the universe, that bottle's going to get broken.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary kicks it around.