I want to construct, with as little fuss and bother as possible...

Narf the Mouse

...A D&D-style "Sorcery" spell system, where spells can be either memorized and discharged for different effects or bought as scrolls and cast once only. My current effort involves such things as two spell lists, one for Powers, one for Equipment, each with the exact same spells. This is highly undesirable.

The cost system I use is AP * RP, with AP divided by the Charges limitation, if any.

Thanks for any and all help.

Re: I want to construct, with as little fuss and bother as possible...

Last time I tinkered with this I had all the spells in an MP. The MP had charges on it. Depending on the power of the spell, some spells used only 1 charge and some used 2 or 3 or even more (kind of reflecting the difference between a 1st or 3rd level spell).

You could probably do the same thing but instead of using charges, have all the spells powered by an END Reserve that requires meditation or study to Recover.

To use a spell as a scroll, purchase a Naked Trigger (Scroll Must be Read), Extra Time (1 day or however long it takes to create the scroll), Incantations (reading the scroll), OAF (scroll). You spend however long to inscribe the scroll (setting the trigger and using the charge out of your MP and casting the spell), to use the scroll you just read it, triggering the spell. Something to watch out for is that the character doesn't prepare 47 scrolls of each spell! :)

Last time I tinkered with this I had all the spells in an MP. The MP had charges on it. Depending on the power of the spell, some spells used only 1 charge and some used 2 or 3 or even more (kind of reflecting the difference between a 1st or 3rd level spell).

You could probably do the same thing but instead of using charges, have all the spells powered by an END Reserve that requires meditation or study to Recover.

To use a spell as a scroll, purchase a Naked Trigger (Scroll Must be Read), Extra Time (1 day or however long it takes to create the scroll), Incantations (reading the scroll), OAF (scroll). You spend however long to inscribe the scroll (setting the trigger and using the charge out of your MP and casting the spell), to use the scroll you just read it, triggering the spell. Something to watch out for is that the character doesn't prepare 47 scrolls of each spell! :)

At a 1 day creation time, unless you have a year or so off in between adventures, I doubt that you would see 47 scrolls of each spell. Besides, there is more than just creating the spell. You have to get the materials first of all, and you need to be able to set aside that time to create the scroll without distraction.

If you want a rule to limit the amount of scrolls, there are a couple of things that you could do. The first option is to use the resource point method. Or, you could create some formula like say the total AP/10 of spells cannot exceed the characters EGO score.

At a 1 day creation time, unless you have a year or so off in between adventures, I doubt that you would see 47 scrolls of each spell. Besides, there is more than just creating the spell. You have to get the materials first of all, and you need to be able to set aside that time to create the scroll without distraction.

If you want a rule to limit the amount of scrolls, there are a couple of things that you could do. The first option is to use the resource point method. Or, you could create some formula like say the total AP/10 of spells cannot exceed the characters EGO score.

Oh, most certainly. I just thought it was a point to mention, lest it get forgotten until said magus shows up with the PHONEBOOK OF MAGICAL DEATH AND DESTRUCTION .

This is the mutliple charges MP I whipped up:

SpellBook: Multipower, 62-point reserve, all slots 32 Charges (+1/4) (77 Active Points); all slots Requires A Roll (SpellCasting Skill roll; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4)

- Magic Missle: Blast 8d6, Autofire (5 shots; +1/2)

- Lightning Bolt: Blast 10d6, Area Of Effect (1m Line; +1/4); Requires 3 Charges (-1/4)

- FireBall: Blast 10d6, Area Of Effect (10m Radius Explosion; +1/4); Requires 3 Charges (-1/4)

Alternatively, remove all the charges and just build an END Reserve. All spells are powered by this Reserve (and you can adjust END Cost with the normal Advantages/Limitations):

Endurance Reserve (150 END, 25 REC) Reserve: (56 Active Points); REC: (18 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, -3), OAF (SpellBook; -1), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2)

For the Naked Advantage:

Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; Read Scroll; +1/4) for up to 62 Active Points of SpellBook (15 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Day, Only to Activate, -2), OAF (Scroll and Magical Ink; Requires Multiple Foci or functions at reduced effectiveness; -3/4), Concentration (0 DCV; -1/2), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; Inscribing; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4)

Now, keep in mind that I just whipped these up real quick, but that is kind of what I was thinking.

Oh' date=' most certainly. I just thought it was a point to mention, lest it get forgotten until said magus shows up with the PHONEBOOK OF MAGICAL DEATH AND DESTRUCTION .[/quote']

The NECROTELECOMNICON!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary wants to place a Collect Call of Cthulhu

• 2 weeks later...

For some help with the "Can only use X-Level Y times" spell, here is something I use for my game. its a Power level system that i am sure you can tweak a bit. For my campaign, seals = levels.

(Active Points + Real Points)/10, then compare the number below.

1 First Seal

2-3 Second Seal

4-5 Third Seal

6-10 Fourth Seal

11-15 Fifth Seal

16-20 Sixth Seal

21+ Seventh Seal

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I'd just go the way the Fantasy Hero book did and say a magic using character has XX amount of points to buy spells with. Also, those spells would run on END (be it personal END or some sort of reserve). This has advantages in that it makes it easy to deal with spells (once you get them all written out), and it's self balancing in that you buy them all at cost (you can also give assigned experience for buying spells).

That's how I'd do D&D magic (arcane as well as divine). I never really was that found of study, cast & forget, go to bed then study to put a new spell in the slot you just got back by sleeping... but that's just me I guess.

Personally, I'd just go the way the Fantasy Hero book did and say a magic using character has XX amount of points to buy spells with. Also, those spells would run on END (be it personal END or some sort of reserve). This has advantages in that it makes it easy to deal with spells (once you get them all written out), and it's self balancing in that you buy them all at cost (you can also give assigned experience for buying spells).

That's how I'd do D&D magic (arcane as well as divine). I never really was that found of study, cast & forget, go to bed then study to put a new spell in the slot you just got back by sleeping... but that's just me I guess.

*sigh* I wasn't going to say anything, but my brain won't leave me alone. Technically you haven't regained the spell you cast just because you've slept. What sleeping does is clear your head in preparation of studying the spells you will prepare for the day. Even if you want to cast the exact same spells today as yesterday, you still have to take the time to study them, again. Unless of course you didn't cast the spell yesterday, then you're fine (or you can change it out if you want). Even the way that KS treats this style of Fire and Forget magic works like that. You can't rearrange your VPP until you've slept and studied.