Daniela's Move

Marcus Impudite

For more than 6 months, Campaign City has been terrorized by a serial killer who has, up to this point, claimed a total of 12 victims. Then last night, as the killer broke into a young woman's downtown apartment intent on taking her as victim #13, the building's security guard caught him red handed and, after a breif struggle, chased him up several flights of stairs to the roof. The guard had him cornered and at gunpoint, and was about to call for the police when the killer suddenly jumped from the roof to his (rather messy) death.

Assuming your character would be curious enough, he/she investigates the incident and comes across something rather astonishing. It would seem that the would-be victim lives just a couple of doors down from, of all people, Daniela Dupree, Rolland Fairweather's personal secretary. (that's right, that Rolland Fairweather).

Possibly having reason to ask Miss Dupree if she saw or heard anything that night, you go to pay her a visit at the law firm of Fairweather, Milton, & Spiggott where she works. Just as she's bringing Fairweather a stack of file folders, she stumbles and drops the folders and their contents all over the floor. Assuming your character hasn't already made his/her presence know by this point, he/she overhears the following exchange between the two of them:

Daniela: "S-Sorry Mr. Fairweather, I--"

Fairweather: "Are you feeling alright today, Daniela? You look like something's bothering you."

Daniela: "It's...It's nothing, I'm fine. I--"

Fairweather: "Come now, I know you better than that. If you'll talk to me about it, maybe I can help you."

Daniela: (sobs) "He was in my apartment building last night, that killer the cops were after all these months."

Fairweather: "Oh God...are you alright? He didn't--"

Daniela: "No, he didn't get the chance, but the whole situation was pretty scary just the same."

Fairweather: "Well, for what it's worth, I'm glad no harm came to you."

Daniela: "Thanks. Still, I don't know that I can feel safe living in that apartment after something like this. I'd move out if there were any decent places available in my price range, but..."

Fairweather: "I see. Well, it just so happens I have a guest bedroom at my place that's unoccupied at the moment. It's yours for the asking if you wish."

Daniela: "Really? You would do something like that for me? Wouldn't it be inappropriate or too much of an imposition?"

Fairweather: "Of course not. If you'd like, I can make a couple of phone calls today: I'll talk to your land lord, someone will stop by and collect your things for you this afternoon, and you can just ride home with me this evening."

Daniela: "Okay, well..."

Fairweather: "And besides, you'll no longer have an excuse for being late to work."

(they both laugh)

Daniela: "Oh Thank you Mr. Fairweather, you're like my guardian angel..."

Glancing into the office, you see Daniela hugging Fairweather around the neck. Unseen by her, his eyes glow red for a fleeting moment...

WWYCD?

Re: Daniela's Move

Nuke him from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Barring that, call Daniela's mom and let her know about what happened at her apartment. And wouldn't she be better off with family? After all, it wouldn't be right for a young woman to be living with her boss, would it?

Fairweather can be as bad-*** as he wants, but nothing beats Mom. ;)

Re: Daniela's Move

After viewing those stats... I'd abort to dive for cover (not my character' date=' [i']me!)[/i]. Perferably into a campaign where the players have half a chance...

Then I suggest you also read the Campaign Use section of the text below his stats:

Campaign Use: The Shadow Lord doesn't often Hunt anyone himself, it would be highly impractical for him to personally deal with every trifling little do-gooder that opposes him or otherwise makes a nuisance of themselves. However, in those rare instances when someone does prove to be such a thorn in his side that it prompts him to take a hands on approach, it should be a truly terrifying experience for them. A word of caution though: do not sic him on starting-level PCs unless you want to get yelled at afterwards.

The best way to introduce The Shadow Lord into a new campaign would be to have him as a behind-the-scenes player in the very beginning, possibly filling the role of an éminence grise to some lesser villains at least until the PCs earn enough experience to stand a fighting chance against him.[/Quote]

(text in red for emphasis)

In other words, any direct combat with this guy is meant to be an ultimate challenge for highly experienced PCs at the grand finale of a long campaign; he is not the beatstick of a sadist GM.