Light based teleportation

Ragitsu

How would you alter Teleport so that it works this way?

The character in question can teleport to anywhere there is light, but the catch is that areas with less light cost more END to teleport to.

For example:

A midday desert would cost no END, a normally illuminated room would cost a small bit of END, a lamp would cost a good amount of END, and a penlight would stand a decent chance of totally draining END.

Re: Light based teleportation

Buy it with Cost No END and use a Custom Limitation or some form of Side Effect for the loss of END when lacking sufficient light?

EDIT: Alternately, you may be able to buy Reduced END as a Naked Modifier with its own Limitations so it wouldn’t apply all the time.

Before I give my suggestion, I would like to preface it with the disclaimer that this may not be exactly "by the book". Someone else may decry my methods. That being said, I would allow a player to essentially "split the difference" on the value of a Limitation, for the purposes of putting it in a Multipower. So my take would look something like this:

15.....Light Teleportation: Multipower, 30-point reserve, (30 Active Points); all slots Limited Power: Power loses about half of its effectiveness (Target Must Be Lit; -1) - END=

2f.....1) Teleportation 20m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Power: Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Bright Light; -1/4) - END=0

2f.....2) Teleportation 20m, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Limited Power: Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Lit Room; -1/4) - END=1

2f.....3) Teleportation 20m (20 Active Points); Limited Power: Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Lamp Light; -1/4) - END=2

1f.....4) Teleportation 20m (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Limited Power: Power loses about a fourth of its effectiveness (Pen Light; -1/4) - END=4

POWERS Cost: 22

The modifier on the Multipower itself represents that you lose about half of its total utility (it only works in the light). Each of the four slots that follow only work exactly one-fourth of the time that the greater Multipower functions. Only one of the four conditions apply, so... there you have it. Obviously this particular version doesn't include Safe Teleport or whatever else it may require. Season to flavor. One final note--I have discovered that the way Hero Designer normally annotates the Limited Power is kind of messy to look at. I would suggest picking the level that gives the appropriate modifier, then deleting the text and entering the limitation directly in the Options field rather than using the Comment field. That makes the first slot, for example, look like:

2f.....1) Teleportation 20m, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Limited Power: Only In Bright Light (-1/4) - END=0

Just easier to read when you print it out. Of course, if you haven't purchased Hero Designer, this doesn't make any sense and doesn't matter to you.

I'd probably just make it a custom Advantage. Probably about +1/4 since it'd be relatively easy to take advantage of to not have to pay any End' date=' but in some rare cases you'd be paying way over the normal amount.[/quote']

My only problem with this is that, though simpler to build, it may not be simpler to play. Builds like this, lacking hard numbers and based on my sole discretion, tend to open up what I refer to as "player haggling". Not all players do this mind you, but when it happens it is annoying.

My only problem with this is that' date=' though simpler to build, it may not be simpler to play. Builds like this, lacking hard numbers and based on my sole discretion, tend to open up what I refer to as "player haggling". Not all players do this mind you, but when it happens it is annoying.[/quote']

You will eventually find the need to create custom and Advantages and Limitations and price them according to how you feel is fair. It's not only part of the System, it's a good part. There are enough examples to give you an idea, and no one could possibly think of every permutation of modifiers out there. Embrace the idea.

My only problem with this is that' date=' though simpler to build, it may not be simpler to play. Builds like this, lacking hard numbers and based on my sole discretion, tend to open up what I refer to as "player haggling". Not all players do this mind you, but when it happens it is annoying.[/quote']

Nah. I always welcome such discussion. However, in this case I believe it is pretty clear-cut anyway. There is definitely some benefit to the change because most of the time you'll be able to take advantage of it to be zero or reduced End (at least in most games). But it's definitely not as good as straight 0 End. So +1/4 is just right.

You could also use an average custom Limitation based on how much light there will be on average at a target location, but that would probably cause more problems, later on, than it would solve initially.

An option would be to write up the MP solution separately just for reference, but using either of the other above suggestions:

custom +1/4 Advantage (which seems like a reasonable number), or

0 END with Side Effects (airtight solution by RAW)

would be the easiest solutions - and these would probably save you some arguments, in the long run, about exactly what level of the MP limitation a particular lighting condition would be closest to.

Just make a chart with different lighting-based END requirements to refer to and you have the hard numbers you need - several are already listed on the PER Modifiers charts.

I'd use a custom lim too: buy the power to 0 END then give it a -1/2 limitation (END use based on ambient light level). Most of the time the light level will be 'average' and the power costs END normally, but outside during the day it will often be free, whereas in conditions you can hardly see in it might be x10 END. But generally, unless light level is a real issue, it just costs END as normal...also I'd allow a separate limitation 'doesn't work in the dark'.

You could also use an average custom Limitation based on how much light there will be on average at a target location, but that would probably cause more problems, later on, than it would solve initially.

An option would be to write up the MP solution separately just for reference, but using either of the other above suggestions:

custom +1/4 Advantage (which seems like a reasonable number), or

0 END with Side Effects (airtight solution by RAW)

would be the easiest solutions - and these would probably save you some arguments, in the long run, about exactly what level of the MP limitation a particular lighting condition would be closest to.

Just make a chart with different lighting-based END requirements to refer to and you have the hard numbers you need - several are already listed on the PER Modifiers charts.

This occurred to me after I posted and would probably be the route I would go. My thing about "player haggling" wasn't in reference to the value of the Limitation or even an objection to assigning a custom limitation value. Rather it is the potential for an argument mid-game about how much END this particular jump should cost. Even if going the custom limitation route, I would likely want to set up a table, however sparsely populated, just so the player and I have a general framework we agree on ahead of time. I'd rather have the haggling out of the way before a session or in between sessions.

My thing about "player haggling" wasn't in reference to the value of the Limitation or even an objection to assigning a custom limitation value. Rather it is the potential for an argument mid-game about how much END this particular jump should cost.

Oh. True. Well, you're going to have that no matter which way you buy this power. So either disallow it based on potential arguments or be ready to quash arguments and simply get on with the game. I'd go with the latter myself.

Oh. True. Well' date=' you're going to have that no matter which way you buy this power. So either disallow it based on potential arguments or be ready to quash arguments and simply get on with the game. I'd go with the latter myself.[/quote']

True. I have a pet peeve about keeping the game moving forward and not letting it get bogged down. It isn't that I'm not willing to work with the player, but if I am able to set up guidelines that everyone agrees on ahead of time, saving distraction during actual play, I see no reason not to do it. It's one less thing to get sidetracked on while we're all trying to tell a story.