the meter and the hex (stretching)

Matt Holck

Re: the meter and the hex (stretching)

I'm not exactly sure which point you were addressing specifically... especially in that last paragraph which appears to be a non-sequitor on scaling.

but being able to set your Hex to whatever scale you want - consistent or otherwise between maps - is a good thing, and you don't have to do anything math beyond "If I have X Meters and the Scale is Y Meters Per Hex then I can move Y/X Hexes."

As for the cost of Stretching, 1point/meter may be too low if you're worried about the ramifications, I might suggest 2points/1 meter for Stretching. Any thing higher and it's more effective to buy a Movement Power to engage in Hand To Hand Combat.

It's not a nonsequitur. It's about fitting your battlemap on your gaming table. Most battlefields are not 60 meters in size when the GM puts the pieces down and sets everything up. Therefore, for a mere-smear 30 points, you have total battlefield control, because the game is limited by how much space you have to run combat on a battlemap. That's what I mean by "The Law of The Battlemap." The law of the battlemap says "Barring divine intervention, it is extremely difficult to have a map that is larger than the table that you game on, and have your game function." This affects scale in a huge way. Even if you were to make Stretching 2 points per point, the issue is still there. You can say it's more effective to buy movement, but since the stretching character usually can buy movement too, the answer to that is likely, as far as I'm concerned, to be "no." Also, remember, once you grab somebody, and usually, your stretching character will have a pretty good STR score, he can move that grabbed target to anywhere in his stretching range freely, and the guy is DCV half. Changing the scale to anything other than 1 hex=1 meter can make running combat VERY kludgy. I am willing to be proven wrong here. I'll be doing the final playtests on Pretty Hate Machines over the next month. Mr. Hideous has stretching. We'll see if it's slightly, mostly, or totally broken at one point per point.

If I run a game the game is never limited by the map*. I just extend the map not constrict the battlefield. Even if I have to ditch the map or start adding notes to the edge Rubber Johnny 100m thataway.

*Not that I've ever used battlemaps mind

Perhaps the strangest thing I've encountered on hero in some time.

First, I was addressing two separate points. One regarding the ability to scale Hex Sizes. The Second regarding Stretching.

Also, consider that Starships ALSO buy their movement in Meters and that a Star Map may very well like to have Hexes the size of the smallest ship, not "2 meters" as was the standard. Being able to set your Star Hero space battle to 1 Hex = 30 Meters is very helpful. And you don't have to any math differently than the Heroic Pulp Fight that set the battle map to 1 Hex = 1 Meter or the Superhero Battle Map that set the scale to 1 Hex = 2 Meters.

I don't have a "law of the battlemap" ... I have the scale I need to depict the battle I want. Doubly useful for Online Games, where my "table" isn't limited by the mere physics of my gaming room.