Scion (White Wolf) Using HERO

Turmoil

Re: Scion (White Wolf) Using HERO

Done it. Mostly because I was the demo lead for Scion back in the Schlepping for White Wolf days, so I had to run screaming from the horribly broken (yet oddly fun to run and play heh) Scion game, and hide behind my HERO stuff. Which Edition of HERO are you planning to use?

~Rex

Gimme a couple of days to find the box I got that notebook stuffed in. It's really not that hard, though it's easier with everything stated out. Works real well for 6e in particular since 6e Scales better then FrEd. I had all that stuff out recently since I was on a "I shall Convert Thee!!!!!" kick for the last month since all my game sessions have broken down to once a month off topic sessions (*sigh*). If anything since my Teen Terror player group is hassling me to do a Percy Jackson and the Olympions it'll be good to dig out the scion conversion stuff anyway to double check the scale.

~Rex

[my Teen Terror player group is hassling me to do a Percy Jackson and the Olympions it'll be good to dig out the scion conversion stuff anyway to double check the scale.]

LOL Thats EXACTLY why im starting the Scion:Hero 'HERO' If you found your conversion material that would be extremely helpfull :)

A couple of questions regarding the conversion.

1. How did you convert the 'Epic attributes where * = 1 auto success/** = 2 auto success and *** = 4 auto success? (did you just give skill bonuses instead?

2. Did you create a 'Legend' attribute

It's a bit trickier really if you want to do a direct conversion because Epic Attributes had a lot of game effect. It would be easier really to set up a Percy Jackson level 6e game right off the bat instead of reverse engineering a mechanic from a broken game system to a non broken one. If I recall right, off the top of my head I went real heavy with Skill Levels for a lot of the Vague stuff, and the legend stuff was more of a campaign limiter that adjusted as the game went on. I'll have to root into the boxes later to find the book. I was on a real tear then for about 6 weeks straight and converted practically the entire White Wolf lines of stuff I liked, to a system that the munchkins over there in White Wolf land can't even understand, much less continue to muck up heh.

~Rex

Herr Surbrook's WoD to hero is more then helpful, especially if you poke around on there and find the Exalted write ups (think those are still there) and between the two that will give you a good comparative scale, to begin to translate the rest of the Scion stuff, direct.

~Rex

Right but you Host it. Possession being 9/10ths and all that, heh. Oh saw the Percy Jackson Movie (If you can call taking a bunch of 12-14 year olds in a pack to see a movie......One should never gamble as the humility of working off the lost bets is not worth the torture).

~Rex

We had a Scion|Hero game that fell apart partly because the system started to show the strain. We converted the characters to Hero.

We made no attempt to recreate things like Legend or some of the other things, we just made characters that somewhat replicated the strengths and weaknesses of the Scion versions.

Susano - Thanks for the WOD links.

Rex - Think i'll follow your advice and avoid a 'direct' Scion to HERO conversion.

I'm going to be using 6ED. PC's starting as competent or Heroic 'normals'. After a few weeks when they receive the gift of their divine parent i will apply a template to the character that will give X amount of point s in characteritics/Y in skills, talents, perks and Z in powers and equipment. Initially the characters will be based on approx 100 points (which will include approx 25 disads) Any suggestions on howe many points should be in the first template when they become a Hero? Might do a direct conversion of the Boons (not sure about this)

Thanks All. Any more suggestions are welcome

If you start them at 100, you can just progressively move them up the scale point wise as a reflection of their heritage. That gives you a steady field of points, that keeps everything tied together. I'd start them as a notch up myself, because demigods really shouldn't be "meh" normals to start. Even ol Percy Jackson was quite exceptional in many ways, even as an unknowing spaz teen. Start with Low Heroic, then, first Notch is Heroic, Second is High Heroic, then so on and so forth.

My current 6e campaign uses something of a sliding structure like that. The PC's are all built as High Heroic (275 if I recall of the top of my head for 6e). Normal Human Characteristic Maxima is a campaign rule, equipment is real and bought with money etc, so this tends to make a group of cinematic level heroes really. The actuality of it though is those PC's are really 400 Point starting Supers, (still with the campaign restrictions). As they develop in play, I just move forward up the power scale, and turn loose that many more points for their character growth. It makes for a Modern Pulp Age feel (Along the lines of Ed Brubakers Incognito Comic), and though Super Heroic in the end, it leans more towards a world of Modern Golden Age-ish/Pulp Cinematic in effect and atmosphere.

So that being stated, you could do very much the same thing, starting at a slightly lower scale, and then climbing the ladder on the way back up.

~Rex

Oh that's easy. Stat Conversion" 1 dot = 3-6, 2 dots = 7-11, 3 dots = 12-16, 4 dots = 17-21, 5 dots = 22-26. You can fudge it + or - a few either direction depending on which addition of Storyteller you are converting. Effectively though, 1 Dot in Storyteller is roughly equal to 5 points in Hero.

~Rex

Oh that's easy. Stat Conversion" 1 dot = 3-6, 2 dots = 7-11, 3 dots = 12-16, 4 dots = 17-21, 5 dots = 22-26. You can fudge it + or - a few either direction depending on which addition of Storyteller you are converting. Effectively though, 1 Dot in Storyteller is roughly equal to 5 points in Hero.

~Rex

yeah, I figured that much. I guess I was thinking more in terms of Aberrant's "mega stats"(and the equivalent thereto in various other Storyteller games).

Mega Stats translate even easier. You just look at their effect, and then using the base stat scale you can translate them to additional points in relation. Still roughly speaking, every d10 in Story Teller, is 5 points in Hero in regards to something like a Mega Stat.

~Rex