Spear-based Martial Arts

Ragnarok

Re: Spear-based Martial Arts

Another thing that you may want to keep in mind is weapon length. In Ninja hero 4th, the stretching for polearms were not bought as 0 end. The reason was in Asian styles there are techniques which the user can "choke up" on the spear as to not have a penalty for using it at close range. Also speaking of length, how long are you considering the spear? Also can this system be used empty handed? There is a fencing style listed in the ulitmate Martial Artists books which allowed you to buy barehanded element with the restriction though that you could only use certain techniques with it, such as disarm, block, and dodge. You couldn't do a martial strike barehanded. I'm curious, even though this is for a fantasy game, how "realistic" are you keeping it?

Is there magic in your setting? I know you want to be a bit more low key with magic so here is an example of a magic spear that is more low fantasy magic. Maybe you can find it on your journeys. It's built keeping the weapon advantages/limitations of 6E2 in mind. I based it off of the medium spear.

Spear of Coinchenn: A magic spear made from the bone of a massive sea dragon known as Coinchenn. It has barbs on the end of the spear that can bypass the hardiest of armours and strike a clean blow into the enemy.

HKA 2d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END; -1/2), Armour Piercing (-1/4)
plus
+1 2-point OCV CSL
plus
+2m Reach:
56 Active Points
; Real Weapon (-1/4), Two Handed Weapon (-1/2), OAF (-1), STR Min (13; -1/2):
17 Real Points

Ragnarok' date=' please post on what you decided on. I for one am curious . :)[/quote']

I will, though it probably will take a few days at least. I have schoolwork to do, then I need to sort out things from three separate campaigns I'm involved in right now. Then, I might be able to tinker around with some of these ideas and throw something together. I will say I am leaning toward something like NuSoardGraphite posted, with a few modifications here and there.

Thanks everyone for contributing, and so quickly! There are plenty of things here I probably would have overlooked myself. That being said, the thread remains open of course in case anyone has any other suggestions to make. :)