Spear-based Martial Arts

Ragnarok

I've often tinkered with the idea of creating a character skilled in the use of a spear, but never actually got around to it. Well, now I am. I think such a character would be really unique and cool because you don't really see people using spears that often.

What I need help with is the specific martial maneuvers. I figure that such character would have...

• Some sort of legsweep attack to take the target down. Probably requiring a Strength roll for your average human-sized target. Either sweeping with the haft or hamstringing with the blade.
  • Martial Block (parrying with haft)
  • Some sort of extra damage "critical" attack, like an impaling attack. Negatives to DCV maybe?
  • A bludgeoning hit with the haft, probably the capped bottom.
  • Perhaps a Disarm

I'm thinking that Find Weakness would also go well with this build (hitting chinks in the armor, like the neck, or the knees, or the armpit, you get the idea...)

What do you all think? Anything I'm missing?

Re: Spear-based Martial Arts

Yeah, I was trying to stay away from the Asian-centric aspect. Though, at some point an effective technique is an effective technique. I could probably just slap a different name on the Kung Fu fighting style, if it came to that.

As I recall, the guy who plays Prince Nuada in Hellboy 2 received a crash course in what I think is the Kung Fu spear form.

I've often tinkered with the idea of creating a character skilled in the use of a spear, but never actually got around to it. Well, now I am. I think such a character would be really unique and cool because you don't really see people using spears that often.

What I need help with is the specific martial maneuvers. I figure that such character would have...

• Some sort of legsweep attack to take the target down. Probably requiring a Strength roll for your average human-sized target. Either sweeping with the haft or hamstringing with the blade.
  • Martial Block (parrying with haft)
  • Some sort of extra damage "critical" attack, like an impaling attack. Negatives to DCV maybe?
  • A bludgeoning hit with the haft, probably the capped bottom.
  • Perhaps a Disarm

I'm thinking that Find Weakness would also go well with this build (hitting chinks in the armor, like the neck, or the knees, or the armpit, you get the idea...)

What do you all think? Anything I'm missing?

The basic attack would have a DCV bonus (keeping them at bay)

There'd also be a charge/set manuever with bonuses for relative velocity (i.e. you charging them, or you setting vs their charge)

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Enterprises had planned to put on and charge admittance to an exhibit of spears, javelins, and lances from Armorica, but abandoned the project upon realizing that the public was less eager than expected to learn all there is to know about Brittany spears.

Some ideas.

A choke where you strangle someone with the shaft

A nerve strike where the spear hits a weak point (neck, groin, wrists)

An armour piercing strike from above (jump then stab down)

A throw using the shaft of the spear

From something less realistic, try watching this and replace the bo staff with spear

Spears are good for keeping your distance in melee. Attack the sword swinger before they can get to you and keep your distance.

I actually should have clarified this first....

The concept I have is of an agile, acrobatic guy who fights with both hands on the spear, so he can use staff-like attacks when appropriate. Not really interested in a shield+spear combo. I could definitely see him pulling some acrobatic moves where he can get a good angle for AP.

Keep it coming! Great stuff.

Ah. Well if we're making something up...

- a long-range strike, with the wielder gripping the very back end of the spear... guess this'd be defensive strike

- a throw, where the wielder tangles up the target's limbs and uses the leverage to fling the victim

- pole vaulting, possibly in conjunction with a high-damage kick or movethrough

- twirling the spear to make a sort of autofire slashing attack

- twirling the spear to deflect missiles

Also, if you have time, see if you can find fight scenes from "Musa the warrior" on youtube. Based in Asia, but the spear combat seems more cinematic than kung fu.

There was a (fairly) recent article in Antiquity, I think, about Bronze-Age halberds and possible fighting tactics. They're about 11 feet, same as a half-pike, bill, glaive, or all those other Gygaxian gadgets that were used two-handed without being as stodgy as pikes. If I recall correctly, the conclusion was that people would normally use them like quarterstaffs in hand-to-hand, seeking to knock the enemy down, and then use the spikily-pointy bit on the end for the finishing blow.

I'm not convinced, but while you're looking through the back issues, check out the article on slings, because that one rocks.

Disclaimer: I do not have the 6th edition, so I am not aware of any changes. Any stats I post are 5th Edition versions.

A spear fighting art should be pretty easy to build, but there are a few things to consider.

The first thing is if your GM is using the Weapon Sizes option. In this option a character wielding a Medium (M) or Short (S) weapon gains a -1 penalty to their OCV when trying to his someone with a Long Weapon (L). The spear is a Long weapon, so that means the majority of opponents you face will get a -1 to their OCV when they face you, until they hit you (at which point the penalty is reversed until you hit them back) Take advantage of this option if you GM is using it and always keep this in mind for your character during encounters.

How is your spear fighter going to fight? You mention an acrobatic style, which is very cool. Acrobatic type characters are known for their agility and can be notoriously difficult to hit. Lets build on that premise.

Lets look at the following maneuvers:

Defensive Strike: One of the best maneuvers in the game. While it doesn't give any damage bonus, it provides a +1 OCV bonus, making the characters attacks slightly more accurate. However the big payoff is in the +3 DCV bonus. The character will have the same DCV as a character using the Standard Dodge maneuver, but will still be able to move and attack! When your character faces off against opponents with comparable Combat Values, this move will make the character extremely difficult to hit...couple that with the -1 OCV penalty for facing off against a longer weapon and your character will prove quite elusive to his enemies. This move is absolutely invaluable when facing off against multple attackers. Utilize this maneuver in conjunction with Defensive Maneuver II (or better) to kick serious buttock. (or rather to avoid getting your butt kicked!)

Martial Strike: A solid middle of the line maneuver. It doesn't provide an OCV bonus, but it does provide a nice +2 DCV bonus and a +2D6N damage bonus (or +1 DC for a killing damage weapon). This maneuver is good to use when facing off against an opponent of equal skill to help in the area of defense. The extra damage bonus can help put the enemy down faster or help the weapon penetrate armor better.

Offensive Strike: This is the big damage dealer. Offensive strike gives a hefty +4D6N damage bonus (0r +2 DC to a killing weapon) so this is the one you want to use to put your enemies down quickly or to puncture an enemy with heavy armor. The down side is that the attack isn't very accurate with a -2 penalty to OCV. However the maneuver does give a +1 DCV bonus when using it, so one doesn't have to give up defense for big damage with this maneuver.

Charge: A classic move for a spear wielder. Your character would charge into his enemy at full force using his momentum to skewer the opponent. This is the big damage causing maneuver. Even moreso than Offensive Strike and Sacrifice Strike if one configures their character correctly (more on that later) Unfortunately, there is a -2 DCV penalty that comes with this maneuver, but if you hit the opponent, it shouldn't matter as they will probably be dead.

Fast Strike: Probably my favorite maneuver in the UMA. This maneuver provides no DCV bonus (or penalty) but it provides a hefty +2 bonus to OCV and a +2D6N (+1DC killing) bonus to damage. It is very useful when one needs an extra OCV bonus such as when you are aiming for a specific hit location or attempting to hit an enemy with a high DCV. It also works great for Sweep maneuvers, as the initial +2 OCV bonus gives your character the ability to hit twice with no reduction in his own OCV. In essence, Fast Strike gives Sweep-oriented characters an extra attack at no OCV penalty!

Leg Sweep: Another classic maneuver for a Staff wielding character. If your character intends to use his spear as a makeshift quarterstaff (what spear wielder worth his salt doesn't?) then this maneuver is almost required. Great for depriving characters of initiative on subsequent phases. If faced with a faster opponent, Leg sweep them, then get the drop on them in the next phase. (I recommend Leg Sweep, then Offensive Strike while they are down)

Takedown: simply an alternative to Leg Sweep. Leg Sweep automatically attacks the targets leg region. Takedown is a general attack maneuver and can hit any location but also knocks the opponent down like Leg Sweep. An all around good maneuver, not as much damage as Leg Sweep but has a bonus to both OCV and DCV (+1 each) and costs the same is Leg Sweep. I personally favor Takedown over Leg Sweep.

Shove: This is a cool maneuver for a spear wielder to posses. Basically Shove forces the opponent back several Hexes based on the STR involved (the Character's STR plus the maneuver bonus which is +15). How is this advantageous for the spear wielder? Well, if an opponent gets inside your spear wielder's gaurd and reverses the OCV penalty for L vs M weapon, simply Shove them back a few Hexes and the game starts all over again. Pretty slick huh?

For defensive maneuvers you have to decide if you want Martial Block or Defensive Block. Both are good. Martial Block gives a slightly better OCV to facilitate the OCV vs OCV block roll, but Defensive Block is great to use when facing multiple attackers because of the +3 DCV bonus (essentially the same as blocking and dodging!) For a highly acrobatic character, Martial Dodge is a must, though Flying Dodge is also good for highly mobile characters who move around the battlefield a lot.

There is much more to discuss, but I have to go for now. Will post more later.

Sojutsu/naganita is in Ultimate Martial artist 5th. If you get a chance to look at it, it could give you some ideas. One thing that I didn't agree with was that if you wanted to use the shaft like a staff, then you had to wf: staff. WF: spear only allowed you to use the pointy end. They also had a NND manuever defined as striking a vulnerable spot with the butt of the weapon.

Sojutsu/naganita is in Ultimate Martial artist 5th. If you get a chance to look at it' date=' it could give you some ideas. One thing that I didn't agree with was that if you wanted to use the shaft like a staff, then you had to wf: staff. WF: spear only allowed you to use the pointy end. They also had a NND manuever defined as striking a vulnerable spot with the butt of the weapon.[/quote']

Whereas I have to agree. Not sure it should be a seperate weapons element in a martail art, but I could see that too.

Look at it this way - if you're capable of using a spear shaft like a staff, is there any reason you would not be able to use a staff like a staff?

Lucius Alexander

Keeping a palindromedary on staff

Whereas I have to agree. Not sure it should be a seperate weapons element in a martail art, but I could see that too.

Look at it this way - if you're capable of using a spear shaft like a staff, is there any reason you would not be able to use a staff like a staff?

Lucius Alexander

Keeping a palindromedary on staff

I think that they did it this way so to be "fair". You aren't to use the staff for free. But for one point, I won't squabble to much.