Common 6E House Rules

Thanee

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Common 6E House Rules

I disagree. If I spend 5 points on PD, for example, it subtracts 5 points of STUN and 5 points of BOD. That will offset most of the STUN from an average 2d6 attack (and even 1d6 can get past it). It will, on average, offset all the BOD from a 5d6 attack, and a 2d6 attack - the one that still does some STUN on average - is incapable of inflicting BOD.

Spending 5 on DN removes 1d6 damage - average 3.5 STUN and 1 BOD. If I am an automaton that Takes no Stun, those 5 points remove 1 BOD on average, 2 max. Bumping the cost to 15 is ludicrous. I can buy 3 rPD instead, with 1.5 points to spare.

Hmm. True. I was thinking more the nature of the powers, not cost comparison. I guess I can agree that DN's cost shouldn't be tripled since it is mostly effective against Stun anyway. Huh.

I'm inclined to think that in fact, only PD, ED, and Resistant Protection should have their cost increased. Of the "pure defense" powers, those are the only that have a stronger effect on automatons.

The somewhat tricky case is the powers that boost PD/ED as one of several effects - Growth and Density Increase. IMO, the best solution would be to reduce the defense provided to 1/3, but not change the cost.

The really tricky case is Barrier. On the one hand, an undead necromancer's Bone Prison shouldn't be 3x as expensive when he traps people in it. On the other hand, using a personal defense barrier at that cost could make you invulnerable.

IMC, I would allow it (at normal cost), but veto any automaton character that could fight from inside a barrier.

That's true - I guess the only case where you get extra power out of Barrier is the moment when someone breaks through. For instance, a 10 DEF/0 BODY personal barrier would be a lot cheaper than 10/10 Resistant Protection. But since that only blocks one attack each time, and you have to spend actions raising it, it's probably not an issue. So Barrier is probably fine at the normal cost.