Home Sweet Home Teleport

Dr Divago

Re: Home Sweet Home Teleport

Originally posted by Dr Divago

Okay next question

Red Cap want to buy a power to teleport her (she's a lady) safe to home

So buy Teleport, 5", Megascale 10Km, only fixed location, charge 1/day

Use Megascale so can teleport "home sweet home" if is betwen a 50 Km radius. But if "home sweet home" is only 600 meters away?

Then *technically*, if the GM is a total rule fiend, she can't use it. Of course, that would mean the power is completely useless unless she's exactly 50km, 100km, 150km, 200km, or 250km from the bind point... so most GM's (even myself, a nigh-total rule fiend) allow it.

Re: Re: Home Sweet Home Teleport

Originally posted by TheEmerged

Then *technically*, if the GM is a total rule fiend, she can't use it. Of course, that would mean the power is completely useless unless she's exactly 50km, 100km, 150km, 200km, or 250km from the bind point... so most GM's (even myself, a nigh-total rule fiend) allow it.

That's not entirely the case. She couldn't use it over a distance of less than 10 Km. (since she could technically use 1" of Teleport, which is the minimum), but she can teleport any distance beyond that up to her noncombat maximum of 100Km. Precise break points for each inch of Teleport aren't required.

I'd say this is totally up to your GM; I might allow you the 600m Teleport, but with a Per roll or attack roll (even though it is a fixed location). You might arrive right where you expected if you made the roll, but wind up anywhere within a 10km radius if you failed....

Then again, maybe a fixed location should ignore the normal granularity rule for Megascaled range. I often bend my mind over the thought of a wizard with Clairsentience studying a location in order to place one of his/her Teleport locations there, and being able to teleport exactly and without error anywhere "on the same plane of existence."

Re: Re: Re: Home Sweet Home Teleport

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

That's not entirely the case. She couldn't use it over a distance of less than 10 Km. (since she could technically use 1" of Teleport, which is the minimum), but she can teleport any distance beyond that up to her noncombat maximum of 100Km. Precise break points for each inch of Teleport aren't required.

I think Liaden is right about that. Nothing can force a character to have a minimal T-port distance unles he has some kind of limitation "stall velocity" (or something like that, check in the movement powers section in FrEd)

see also the comment in the FAQ (on this site). IIRC, there's a comment about that.

From the FAQ:

Q: If a character has MegaScaled Teleportation, and a Fixed Location, but the Fixed Location is closer than the shortest increment of his MegaScaling, can he still Teleport to it?

A: Technically, no. However, the GM can certainly let common sense trump legalistic rules interpretations if that seems appropriate.

Originally posted by prestidigitator

I'd say this is totally up to your GM;

[/Quote]

Well, technically, i'm the GM :)

and this is a NPC :)

I might allow you the 600m Teleport, but with a Per roll or attack roll (even though it is a fixed location). You might arrive right where you expected if you made the roll, but wind up anywhere within a 10km radius if you failed....

The problem is:

if you read "megascale" advantage description, you read than it's impossible to use megascaled powers to less than 1Km (so megascaling in 10 Km a power make them not usable at shorter distance than 10Km or 1 Km? boh, not so different :) )

But if you read Example Power for Teleport, Escape Clausole (or similiar name), this power has Megascale "all around earth"... so this mean that is non usable to teleport home if are in the same planet?

Then again, maybe a fixed location should ignore the normal granularity rule for Megascaled range.

This appear to be the best solution...

Re: Shameless cheesy-ness

Originally posted by DigitalGolem

A variable +1/4 advantage will allow the 1km mega-scale to be re-defined each time the power is used, to any value up to 1km, or down to anything over 1 hex. I'm not sure if this is a "valid construction", though.

It's pretty valid. Hero Designer allows it. You do have to pick a specific range for the power when if purchased though. I have a teleporter who bought precisely this. His lowest scale is 10m per hex. And his top scale is 10,000km per hex.

Re: Re: Shameless cheesy-ness

Originally posted by Bartman

It's pretty valid. Hero Designer allows it. You do have to pick a specific range for the power when if purchased though. I have a teleporter who bought precisely this. His lowest scale is 10m per hex. And his top scale is 10,000km per hex.

I'm wondering; does the requirement of picking a specific range apply to a variable advantage? Is a mega-scale advantage with a different range considered a different advantage?

Originally posted by Dr Divago

The problem is:

if you read "megascale" advantage description, you read than it's impossible to use megascaled powers to less than 1Km (so megascaling in 10 Km a power make them not usable at shorter distance than 10Km or 1 Km? boh, not so different :) )

But if you read Example Power for Teleport, Escape Clausole (or similiar name), this power has Megascale "all around earth"... so this mean that is non usable to teleport home if are in the same planet?

Well, the way I choose to interpret Megascaled Range (this does seem to disagree with the FAQ a bit) is that you cannot be more accurate than your scaled 1". It doesn't make much sense that if I am 9.5km away I can't Teleport, but if I move a little further so that I am 10.5km away, I can pop right exactly to the spot I want.

Here's an idea: buy the character a Base, and buy the grounds of the base out to a radius of 10km. Then you will never need to escape to home if you are only 9km away. :D