Life stinks!

tkdguy

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Life stinks!

I suspect that if you were wandering around on Titan and could smell the locals, you've got bigger problems to worry about. Like a leak in your environment suit. Of course, the locals would be a bit upset too, what with having a white-hot *thing* strolling around in their midst spraying deadly oxygen around the place.

I did read somewhere, recently, that the surface tension of liquid methane being what it is, that Titanian-style cells could be millions of times larger than then they are on Earth, and still support metabolism. Imagine boulder-sized amoebas, slowly crawling around under the orange smog, grazing on the tarry slime on the hard boulders of frozen water....

Hmm. The freezing points of methane and ethane are only few degrees below the surface temperature of Titan, so in principle there could be methane or ethane snow and ice there intermittently. I have no idea what the freezing point does in mixtures of the two, though. Or what the density of the solid phase is compared to the liquid phase. The "snow" might not float.

I suspect that if you were wandering around on Titan and could smell the locals, you've got bigger problems to worry about. Like a leak in your environment suit. Of course, the locals would be a bit upset too, what with having a white-hot *thing* strolling around in their midst spraying deadly oxygen around the place.

I did read somewhere, recently, that the surface tension of liquid methane being what it is, that Titanian-style cells could be millions of times larger than then they are on Earth, and still support metabolism. Imagine boulder-sized amoebas, slowly crawling around under the orange smog, grazing on the tarry slime on the hard boulders of frozen water....

Bwahahahaha!!!! My campaign has aliens kinda like this... appropriately enough they're known as 'Titans'. Technologically advanced and intrinsically hostile, they're one of the BBEG's of the setting. (Not originally from Titan, just given the name because of the type of worlds they prefer, and their level of technology.)