Large Wingspan Disad?

ajackson

Let's say you have a character with wings. What sort of limitation is it that you can't fly except in fairly wide spaces? In this case, the limit was basically that he needed a full 2m of clear space on both sides of his flight path. I assigned this a -1/4 (on top of Restrainable, which is normal for wings), but pondering if that seems fair. Thoughts?

Re: Large Wingspan Disad?

I think -1/4 is fine. Unless every character with wings and the Restrainable Limit. needs extra space to fly.

Um, every character with wings and the Restrainable Limit do need extra space to fly. At least thats always how I've seen it played. I guess you could technically say Wings should also have "Doesn't work in a Vacuum" and "Can't Hover" (unless they are humming bird like wings) and others could probably think of more, but it seems excessive to me.

If that's how it works in your game then it doesn't get the extra -1/4. I look at each character's SFX on it's own' date=' not all wings are the same.[/quote']

So do you give winged characters a Limitation for not working in a vacuum, or not being able to hover (most can't, though I suppose some could)?

So do you give winged characters a Limitation for not working in a vacuum' date=' or not being able to hover (most can't, though I suppose some could)?[/quote']

I'd say "doesn't work in a vacuum" would be a -0 Limitation in most campaigns. (If large portions of your game are actually set in space, of course, then it'd be worth more.) For Cannot Hover I'd apply the standard values from 6E1 228, as Restrainable doesn't in and of itself cover that and some winged creatures can in fact hover just fine.

I was using vacuum as a generic example. Of course that wouldn't apply in most fantasy games (Limitations that aren't limiting and all that).

Looking at it from the other side, I'd say it definitely isn't worth any more than 1/4 Limitation. Looking back, I also see that I mis-read (or at least am now mis-remembering) the OP. I was thinking 2 m wing span, where he said needs at least 2 m to either side of the flight path. That's equivalent of twice a standard characters height. If the wings are that big, how small do they fold up? They may be worth a Complication where he couldn't fit through openings an average human could either.

The setting makes quite a difference as well. If any schmuck with enough cash to buy or enough magic to make a “ring of flight” can slip on a ring and fly around like superman, then maybe it is worth that extra ¼. But if personal flight is a complicated/risky affair which requires a skill roll and incantations throughout, or a magic carpet focus that can be shot of the air, and this character is one of the rare examples of fairly uninhibited personal flight, then maybe it isn’t.

If you think it’s not worth the extra limit, maybe just call the -½ Limitation “Wings” instead of restrainable and leave it at that. I think this is definitely in “GM’s call” territory.

Sunset's wing can not be restrained by grabbing unless the grabber is comparable in size

the trouble with fighting kobolds is they run around tunnels the guy in plate mail can't even move in

Sounds more like a size-related Physical Complication than necessarily a Limitation on his Flight in particular, then. But maybe that's just me.