Stats for a Forklift

Balabanto

Re: Stats for a Forklift

I would start with the stats for a light truck and add the rated mass for the max lift to the overall weight with 1 limited extra limb that has the necessary strength of the max lift.

Military forklifts can move faster than 10mph, I know the M448 10,000lbs Forklift can get up to 20+mph, not sure of the M443 4k forklift but 10mph seems a little low.

TB

I would start with the stats for a light truck and add the rated mass for the max lift to the overall weight with 1 limited extra limb that has the necessary strength of the max lift.

Military forklifts can move faster than 10mph, I know the M448 10,000lbs Forklift can get up to 20+mph, not sure of the M443 4k forklift but 10mph seems a little low.

TB

My experience with mid weight forklifts suggest that they were faster was well. but looking on Hyster's website the difference is between 10mph and 13mph which makes sense given that it would be easy to roll most forklifts in a quickturn at any speed beyond running speed. Also travelling quickly increases the danger to the load by quite a bit. Also I think that because you are open and so high up on a forklift that any speed feels much faster than it is really travelling.

The Volvo BM-4400 is based on the same design as their construction loader and in 4th gear can reach 24mph and can lift a max of 4700kg. (the military version is designated L-90) Though this Forklift isn't really one that is suitable for warehouse use. It's like one that you would find on a construction site or in a scrapyard.

http://www.volvo.com/constructionequipment/corporate/en-gb/AboutUs/history/products/wheel+loaders/Volvo+BM/Volvo+BM+4400.htm

LOL thanks to you guys, I find myself knowing about a ton of weird seemingly unrelated topics. From Chemical Warfare to Lift trucks to goddess knows what... :P

Here are raw Fourth Edition stats for a Small and Medium Forklift that were published in the Corporations sourcebook:

Vehicle>Size>DCV>Mass (KB)>STR>DEF>BODY>DEX>SPD>MOVE>MAX>Notes

Small forklift>1.6x.8>-1>400 (-2)>20>3>12>10>2>12x4>96

Medium forklift>2.5x1.25>-2>1.6T (-4)>30>4>14>10>2>20x4>160

Thank you. This is highly appreciated. I'll figure out how I want to do the lifty stuff on this end.

Well, a motorcycle's defenses would protect the rider if attacked from underneath as well, but it's suggested that a motorcycle's defenses take the limitation that they don't protect the passengers. I suppose decreasing it slightly or adding another defense with a small activation roll would work. Or just let the GM deal with the corner cases. Either way.

I chose the PD/ED based on about the medium level of machinery on the object chart. More? Perhaps.

Don't know about a killing attack. Maybe some extra HA or separate Str for attacking, but really the issue is the mass being driven into you, not something incredibly sharp. I mean, someone strong enough could probably impale you with a spoon, but most people don't write up a spoon as a KA.... ;)

Well, a motorcycle's defenses would protect the rider if attacked from underneath as well, but it's suggested that a motorcycle's defenses take the limitation that they don't protect the passengers. I suppose decreasing it slightly or adding another defense with a small activation roll would work. Or just let the GM deal with the corner cases. Either way.

I chose the PD/ED based on about the medium level of machinery on the object chart. More? Perhaps.

Don't know about a killing attack. Maybe some extra HA or separate Str for attacking, but really the issue is the mass being driven into you, not something incredibly sharp. I mean, someone strong enough could probably impale you with a spoon, but most people don't write up a spoon as a KA.... ;)

All warehouse forklifts have attached to their rollcages, a thick piece of thick steel plate that protects the driver from objects falling from above and slightly to the front. From the bottom most forklifts are formed from even heavier gauge steel plate that also acts as a counterbalance to the loads the forklift is expected to lift. Granted, from the rear, and sides there is 0 protection for the driver, the front's lift mechanism should give some slight coverage. Also on propane powered lifts there's that volatile propane tank that sits right behind the driver. It could armor the driver from some hits, but the tank should be pretty easy to pierce and propane gas is very flammable.

Here are raw Fourth Edition stats for a Small and Medium Forklift that were published in the Corporations sourcebook:

Vehicle>Size>DCV>Mass (KB)>STR>DEF>BODY>DEX>SPD>MOVE>MAX>Notes

Small forklift>1.6x.8>-1>400 (-2)>20>3>12>10>2>12x4>96

Medium forklift>2.5x1.25>-2>1.6T (-4)>30>4>14>10>2>20x4>160

I know that these are official writeups, but honestly even the lightest forklift can easily lift 800kg and remember the stats from the manufacturer's website said that the trucks could lift up to 1300kg(1400kg for the heavier duty small forklift)

All warehouse forklifts have attached to their rollcages' date=' a thick piece of thick steel plate that protects the driver from objects falling from above and slightly to the front. From the bottom most forklifts are formed from even heavier gauge steel plate that also acts as a counterbalance to the loads the forklift is expected to lift. Granted, from the rear, and sides there is 0 protection for the driver, the front's lift mechanism should give some slight coverage. Also on propane powered lifts there's that volatile propane tank that sits right behind the driver. It could armor the driver from some hits, but the tank should be pretty easy to pierce and propane gas is very flammable.[/quote']You could also simulate the top with "doesn't protect from small objects" as the top is usually a screen or grate.

I was just recommending armor that is heavier than platemail' date=' and it does need to be strong enough to resist a 3000-4000 kg drop which is what the upper armor is supposed to be rated for. (ie if you messup and drop your lift's payload on the top of the vehicle. You are supposed to be able to survive it). 16 is probably excessive.[/quote']

The more I think about it, the more interesting this gets. I think that above a certain level of damage, the safety cage will start to collapse (the lift will take BODY), but the operator will not be injured. How should a crumple zone like this be modeled?

You could also simulate the top with "doesn't protect from small objects" as the top is usually a screen or grate.

Only the front is a screen (at least on the Hyster models I used to drive) about a foot of the front steel is perforated with holes that allow the operator to see the load when you have the boom at it's highest. Behind that is whole 1/4" steel plate that extends to where the back of the lift starts.

Honestly I would go with Strength(Only for lifting) and Stretching +3m(only to lift and drop in the machines front facing)which should be worth at least a -1 or better on the strength. I guess one probably should buy Extralimb Forks so that the truck can have the ability to lift an object. TK is just too ranged and feels wrong for this. With the Stretching you can clearly define how high the lift boom can go. BTW I am assuming that lifting something to a height of 2m is part of having strength (Lifting something over your head)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35758[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35759[/ATTACH]

These are what I've driven.

I have driven the 20yr old versions of the forklifts I posted the manufacturer's specs for. Which are Hyster's small Electric and Propane models. I was really glad when my employer got rid of the electric lift. It was nice and all, but the propane lift was better in every way.