Re: Stats for a Forklift

I'd probably go with....

Size 0 (2m^3)

Str 35 (~3 tonnes)

Dex 8

OCV 3

DCV 3

Speed 2

PD 6 (Doesn't Protect Passengers (-1/2); 9 active, 6-3=3 real)

ED 6 (Doesn't Protect Passengers (-1/2); 9 active, 6-3=3 real)

Body 10

Ground Movement 12m (x2 NCM)

Total Points: 27

Certain types might have more Str (very heavy forklifts can apparently lift more like 50 tons, vs. the 1-5 tons of typical models) or protect the passengers (e.g. explosion proof models).

Sometimes for stuff like this I usually tend to lean towards "as much as it needs to do." I basically let dramatic license just take over. However, if said forklift is going to be integral to the game and you can't get around statting it up, I believe 20 STR and 15m of movement, SPD 2 should just about do it.

Sometimes for stuff like this I usually tend to lean towards "as much as it needs to do." I basically let dramatic license just take over. However' date=' if said forklift is going to be integral to the game and you can't get around statting it up, I believe 20 STR and 15m of movement, SPD 2 should just about do it.[/quote']

Well said... Is it really necessary to put stats to everything? I guess if you actually build it then you know for certain what the vehicle is capable of, but the bottom line is unless you are planning on it being a recurring vehicle in your game let it do what needs to be done for the story and move on. Now if your hero is Construction Guy! and he drives a super powered fork lift then by all means build stats for it. but if the bad guy wants to use a fork lift to drop a heavy box on the heroes then just say a fork lift can do that.

IMHO Making stats is just a way of putting thought to how the vehicle will interact. Reducing the requirement of the GM to make arbitrary on-the-fly decisions during game time. No real need to work out how many points the vehicle is made of, but thinking about how much STR might be required to stop its forward motion, or destroy it, how fast it can move, how sharply it can turn is good to have before hand.

Sometimes for stuff like this I usually tend to lean towards "as much as it needs to do." I basically let dramatic license just take over. However' date=' if said forklift is going to be integral to the game and you can't get around statting it up, I believe 20 STR and 15m of movement, SPD 2 should just about do it.[/quote']

20 seems really low unless it's one of those little electric numbers or one of the smaller propane run ones. We have pretty small forklift for flooring and that's about a 24 or 25. We regularly move pallets with with over 1,000 lbs. and rolls of carpet, that while usually not that heavy, stick out 12-15ft. which drastically effects the pressure on the machine. I know we've had carpet rolls over 1,000 lbs. and granite counter tiles that were over a ton (though we don't risk raising the mast more than a few feet once we get to those weights). My point is, while I've seen smaller forklifts, any thing that can be run outside or used in any "heavy duty" industry is going to be around 25 STR, give or take a point or two, and large2 material handling devices closer to 30 or more.

Something to keep in mind: most forklifts will have several levels of increased mass. In order keep from tipping over when they lift a couple of tons with their front-mounted forks' date=' they have a [i']huge[/i] counterweight in the back. I've seen 'lifts no bigger than size 2 that weighed almost 4 tons.

Good point. Which, in 6E, really just becomes some extra KBR on top of the Str. Probably not enough of a disadvantage to merit a Complication for the vehicle.

PD 6 (Doesn't Protect Passengers (-1/2); 9 active, 6-3=3 real)

ED 6 (Doesn't Protect Passengers (-1/2); 9 active, 6-3=3 real)

I disagree with the part about the PD not protecting the operator. Most lift trucks these days have a roof over the operator's head in case something falls off what's being lifted.

I disagree with the part about the PD not protecting the operator. Most lift trucks these days have a roof over the operator's head in case something falls off what's being lifted.

Perhaps change it to Doesn't protect from attacks aimed at Passengers (since most are open on all four sides) and change it to a -1/4 Limitation?

Ok according to Hyster's Website their Electric and Propane small lifts can lift 3000lbs - 4000lbs (1360kg - 1814kg) or approx Str 28- Str 32

They can travel at a rate of around 10mph which is about 4.5m per second or around 26m per phase (assuming the lift has spd 2) or around 18m per phase if spd 3

The roll cages on a forklift is incredibly thick steel for the head so I would give it like def 16 or so which covers the top and front top.

It can lift a load to a height of 3m so 2" Stretching straight up only

http://www.hyster.com/americas/en-us/products/electriccounterbalanced/j30-40xnt.htmx

http://www.hyster.com/Americas/SiteCollectionDocuments/Products/J30-40XN-XNT-BTG.pdf

http://www.hyster.com/americas/en-us/products/internalcombustioncushiontire/s30-35ft,s40fts.htmx

http://www.hyster.com/Americas/SiteCollectionDocuments/Products/S30-40FTS_TG.pdf

BTW the Electric lift weighs 4000kg for the base model. Lifts of higher capacity weigh more due to their increased counterbalance weight.

Also all forklifts are rearwheel turning vehicles so IMHO it should require it's own Transport familiarity. When I used to train newbies on these it became crystal clear that one cannot easily get on a forklift and drive it proficiently without a period of training.

Also the forks should be a Killing attack. There have been people who have been killed by being accidentally pierced by the fork on a lift.

Like in all things Google is your friend and it's better to not pull stats out of your head :D

Tasha

PS I used to drive one very similar to the models that I posted.

Sigh. I figured the stats for everything I needed in terms of construction vehicles would be in 6e2' date=' but apparently no construction vehicles are listed. Does anyone have a link to one, or am I building a forklift tomorrow?[/quote']

I can't imagine needing one of these stated up beyond Body/Def and total weight. These really go about as fast as a normal person running flat out (Slightly faster), and can lift about a ton and a half of stuff. Seems like a waste of time to me, but enjoy the Real world stats above.

Tasha

That's a bigger discount than the "Doesn't Protect Driver" at all is' date=' which seems...odd in this situation.[/quote']you should have to buy defense that doesn't protect passengers (protects vehicle) AND defense that protects the passengers from above

They can travel at a rate of around 10mph which is about 4.5m per second or around 26m per phase (assuming the lift has spd 2) or around 18m per phase if spd 3

You might even give it SPD 1. They're not designed to handle.

The roll cages on a forklift is incredibly thick steel for the head so I would give it like def 16 or so which covers the top and front top.
16 PD is bank-vault level. 7-9 sounds more reasonable.

It can lift a load to a height of 3m so 2" Stretching straight up only
That depends on the model. I'm pretty sure the lift truck at work can extend to 6m or so.

Also all forklifts are rearwheel turning vehicles so IMHO it should require it's own Transport familiarity. When I used to train newbies on these it became crystal clear that one cannot easily get on a forklift and drive it proficiently without a period of training.
Yeah, definitely a 1-point TF.

Also the forks should be a Killing attack. There have been people who have been killed by being accidentally pierced by the fork on a lift.
Not every lift truck has a fork. At work there is a truck with a clamp that we use for moving rolls of paper around.

You might even give it SPD 1. They're not designed to handle.

16 PD is bank-vault level. 7-9 sounds more reasonable.

That depends on the model. I'm pretty sure the lift truck at work can extend to 6m or so.

Yeah, definitely a 1-point TF.

Not every lift truck has a fork. At work there is a truck with a clamp that we use for moving rolls of paper around.

I like keeping it at spd 2 I am pretty sure that one could reasonably turn it more than once every 12 seconds.

I was just recommending armor that is heavier than platemail, and it does need to be strong enough to resist a 3000-4000 kg drop which is what the upper armor is supposed to be rated for. (ie if you messup and drop your lift's payload on the top of the vehicle. You are supposed to be able to survive it). 16 is probably excessive

I was just basing it on Hyster's basic Forklift models. There is another lift that is based on the electric forklift model that can reach forward. I forgot about the ones with a clamp, I worked at a place that printed ad inserts. Though I suspect that Bala was looking for the kind of lift one would encounter in your average Warehouse.

Here are raw Fourth Edition stats for a Small and Medium Forklift that were published in the Corporations sourcebook:

Vehicle>Size>DCV>Mass (KB)>STR>DEF>BODY>DEX>SPD>MOVE>MAX>Notes

Small forklift>1.6x.8>-1>400 (-2)>20>3>12>10>2>12x4>96

Medium forklift>2.5x1.25>-2>1.6T (-4)>30>4>14>10>2>20x4>160