As A Hero Gamer, Do You Use The Surbrook's Stuff Website?

Susano

Re: As A Hero Gamer, Do You Use The Surbrook's Stuff Website?

We need a "So you know your Website is being Run by Susano when....." top ten list.....heh.

1) There's no Catwoman character sheet, but there's a lot of catgirls....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the resources fairly often' date=' either as added matrerial for a champions game, or just good reading material[/quote']

Can you tell me which ones?

I love looking at the character archive. I primarily use the adoptions. Both as a way to judge character strength and as a model for for characters with similar abilities and characteristics. If I can come up with a character concept that I can compares to a known character I can often find that character or someone similar to base my own writeup on.

Since you asked I found your resources section which I hadn't looked at before but will give me a lot of reading to do.

My ultimate wish list item, and I know how much work it is so I don't expect to actually see it, would be a parametric search of the hosted characters. I'd love to be able to search by one or more criteria such as total points, edition, keywords, heroic/superheroic.

I love looking at the character archive. I primarily use the adoptions. Both as a way to judge character strength and as a model for for characters with similar abilities and characteristics. If I can come up with a character concept that I can compares to a known character I can often find that character or someone similar to base my own writeup on.

Since you asked I found your resources section which I hadn't looked at before but will give me a lot of reading to do.

My ultimate wish list item, and I know how much work it is so I don't expect to actually see it, would be a parametric search of the hosted characters. I'd love to be able to search by one or more criteria such as total points, edition, keywords, heroic/superheroic.

The search engine is one of my wish list items too.

Here's my current plan, based on the responses given here:

1) Remove the photo galleries and the trip to Australia section.

2) Remove the fiction section (well, at least the MST3K stuff).

3) Remove the Feng Shui RPG material.

4) Merge the Kazei 5 material directly into the website (which will happen once we create the new one under my own domain).

5) Remove the awards section (no one gives those out anymore).

6) Keep the Character Archive, Hero System Gaming Resources, World Books, and Pictures That Could Be Superheroes.

7) Make the site searchable, at least so people can locate characters based on various criteria.

I'm late to comment on this thread, but this site definitely ranks top dollar as a Hero resource. I drop in frequently, and have for several years.

Often when I'm designing a character, I come to think of a similar literary concept, and then I pop over to see how that was done here, for comparison. Or inspiration. Or need of an NPC. Or need of a strange piece of equipment/spell/ability. Or...

Here's my current plan, based on the responses given here:

1) Remove the photo galleries and the trip to Australia section.

2) Remove the fiction section (well, at least the MST3K stuff).

3) Remove the Feng Shui RPG material.

How much in a hurry would I be to have one last look through all of that before you removed the stuff?

I actually browsed through the entire "trip to Australia" section for a grip on Sydney a while back (character background research).

4) Merge the Kazei 5 material directly into the website (which will happen once we create the new one under my own domain).

5) Remove the awards section (no one gives those out anymore).

6) Keep the Character Archive, Hero System Gaming Resources, World Books, and Pictures That Could Be Superheroes.

7) Make the site searchable, at least so people can locate characters based on various criteria.

This sounds awesome, even easier navigation among the valuable resources.:thumbup:

Yes, I'm one of those who think the Pictures That Could Be Superheroes is both a great idea as well as giving me inspiration from time to time.

You maintain a terrific site there.

I'm late to comment on this thread, but this site definitely ranks top dollar as a Hero resource. I drop in frequently, and have for several years.

Often when I'm designing a character, I come to think of a similar literary concept, and then I pop over to see how that was done here, for comparison. Or inspiration. Or need of an NPC. Or need of a strange piece of equipment/spell/ability. Or...

How much in a hurry would I be to have one last look through all of that before you removed the stuff?

I actually browsed through the entire "trip to Australia" section for a grip on Sydney a while back (character background research).

This sounds awesome, even easier navigation among the valuable resources.:thumbup:

Yes, I'm one of those who think the Pictures That Could Be Superheroes is both a great idea as well as giving me inspiration from time to time.

You maintain a terrific site there.

This is all due to happen over the next 6-8 months (i.e., I want to have the new site debut no later than January 2011.)

Oh' date=' I almost forgot: you should bring back Raggomuffin's photo gallery.[/quote']

That cat is so vain.

BTW, how is she? Have any new photos?

Pity she can't come to GenCon.

I also have used Surbrook's stuff to get an idea of how to build certain characters, or even to fully borrow characters. When I was running a HERO adaptation of Shadow Run (merged with Kazie 5 for the anime feel) I eventually sent my players up against the writeup for Tetsuo from Akira I found on Surbrook's site. It was the perfect way to end that campaign even if half the party did in fact die before Tetsuo went critical mass. Neo York will never be the same :P

I've also used scaled down versions of the Androids in my home-brew Champs campaign as summons used by a would be villain that could bring cartoon-characters to life (the villain had a thing for anime and videogames).

Maybe a character index on top of the search box would be helpful (list all characters, source, contributor etc and have them sortable by those catagories).

I also have used Surbrook's stuff to get an idea of how to build certain characters' date=' or even to fully borrow characters. When I was running a HERO adaptation of Shadow Run (merged with Kazie 5 for the anime feel) I eventually sent my players up against the writeup for Tetsuo from Akira I found on Surbrook's site. It was the perfect way to end that campaign even if half the party did in fact die before Tetsuo went critical mass. Neo York will never be the same :P[/quote']

Have you seen the new version of Kazei 5?

I've also used scaled down versions of the Androids in my home-brew Champs campaign as summons used by a would be villain that could bring cartoon-characters to life (the villain had a thing for anime and videogames).

Maybe a character index on top of the search box would be helpful (list all characters, source, contributor etc and have them sortable by those catagories).

We've made some progress in creating the new website. Inserting metadata so the site can be searchable (by type, point value, genre, and so on) is one of my goals.

As A Hero Gamer, Do You Use The Surbrook's Stuff Website?

That would have to be an unequivocal yes.

If so, what parts are most useful to you?

Which parts should stay?

Which should go?

What could/should be added to the site?

Those are a little harder to answer....I'd say that the adapted characters are the biggest draw (even if sometimes as a point of departure from which to figure out what I would do differently.)

The one thing I might like more of is "generic" write ups rather than individuals, i.e. not "this is Legolas" (or not just "this is Legolas" ) but "this is an average 'Wood Elf' of 3rd Age Middle Earth," the way you did not just Conan but several examples of the monsters of the Hyborian Age. Although now I think of it you already have quite a few examples of that sort of thing don't you? Maybe I'm just asking for "more of the same."

I find it seriously hard to point to anything and say "this can go." Even if I don't look that much at the Kazei 5 material for example, I'm certain that there are other players who find it very useful.

Lucius Alexander

But we don't need a write up for a palindromedary, thank you

Have you seen the new version of Kazei 5?

Haven't had much time for Browsing for gaming purposes. My wife gets mad if I spend too much time doing so. I'm not even allowed to begin PLANNING my Champs game until I get my 2nd paycheck. Well the joke is on her cuz the job I have lined up pays WEEKLY. BWA HA HA!!!

Is the new Kazei 5 on your website or is it a PDF on HERO Games?

Haven't had much time for Browsing for gaming purposes. My wife gets mad if I spend too much time doing so. I'm not even allowed to begin PLANNING my Champs game until I get my 2nd paycheck. Well the joke is on her cuz the job I have lined up pays WEEKLY. BWA HA HA!!!

Is the new Kazei 5 on your website or is it a PDF on HERO Games?

You can download an intro PDF from my website, but the full version is buyable either from Hero, BlackWyrm or several on-line stores. You can also buy either the PDF or the full book.

You can download an intro PDF from my website' date=' but the full version is buyable either from Hero, BlackWyrm or several on-line stores. You can also buy either the PDF or the full book.[/quote']

Hrm. Maybe once I have a disposible income I'll buy it. I'd also need to see if my players were interested in Anime Cyberpunk (my last campaign's players consisted of members of my College's Anime Club)

As long as there's still 5th Edition material there' date=' you can count on me to be regular visitor.[/quote']

I'll second that. Will the entries be sorted according to what edition they are written up in?

I pop along to the site on a fairly frequent basis (in fact I had just been there before seeing this thread) :)

I almost exclusively use the character archive, especially for characters from other RPGs (Delta Green, Godlike) and movie/comic book adaptations.

Seem to be on a power level that suits me just fine.