Have we ever seen the Hawken again?

Mathew

I have nore kept up with the books that lsst few years, but I did have Enemies for Hire, with Ultraviolet Sparrowhawk, and it also mentioned her race, the Hawken, and a racial package for them. I was curious has there been any official use of the Hawken since then? If so where?

Also, has anyone made any Hawken characters?

Re: Have we ever seen the Hawken again?

That particular race/culture/location was not carried over into the Fifth Edition Champions Universe, nor is it part of the Sixth Edition. However, there is an official humanoid avian race, called (pragmatically enough) the Birdpeople, who dwell on a mist-shrouded island/city called Thaar in the Indian Ocean. A few Birdpeople have interacted with the wider Champions Earth, including one named Klee who served through the 1970s as a member of the superhero team, the Fabulous Five, under the code name "Kestrel"; and another who became the supervillain "Gyrfalcon."

The Birdpeople are tall and slim, with hollow bones, feathers instead of hair, beaked faces, and huge wings growing from their shoulders. They're stronger and more agile than the average human. Kestrel received a full write-up in Digital Hero, but I'll have to check whether a Birdpeople Package Deal has been published anywhere.

That particular race/culture/location was not carried over into the Fifth Edition Champions Universe' date=' nor is it part of the Sixth Edition. However, there is an official humanoid avian race, called (pragmatically enough) the [i']Birdpeople[/i], who dwell on a mist-shrouded island/city called Thaar in the Indian Ocean.

"Birdpeople"? Should have called them Garuda.

"Birdpeople"? Should have called them Garuda.

Perhaps that was thought a little too obvious, although the Birdpeople's proximity to India could have influenced the perception of the mythic Garuda. However, the king of Thaar when the Fabulous Five encountered it was named "Gudra," so there's a nod there to the myth.

Well that's a shame. I much prefer anthromorphic alternate intelligent races to people with wings pasted on.

The picture of Kestrel from Digital Hero doesn't look too dissimilar from Ultraviolet Sparrowhawk, and the Birdpeople are hardly "people with wings pasted on." Like I said, beaked faces, and feathers instead of hair (body as well as head), plus large eyes and small talon-like finger- and toenails. Kestrel has other avianlike abilities, although it's unclear if all of them are typical of Birdpeople.

For people who do like to play or run anthropomorphic characters, the official Champions Universe offers several options besides the Birdpeople. Prominent among these are the various species of "Manimals" created by Dr. Phillippe Moreau, descendant of the infamous Victorian Dr. Moreau. (A number of Moreau's creations rebelled against him and formed their own independent community, "Beast Mountain," in the Ukraine.) The underground Kingdom of the Apes in Africa is a city of mutated intelligent gorillas. The current Dr. Destroyer is served by the Karkaradon, amphibious shark-men. The Lemurians are a race of reptilian, shape-shifting humanoids.

Speaking of shape-shifters, the Chunhu clan of China are an extended family of therianthropes, most of whom can assume the form of tigers or tigerlike humanoids. And the hidden Valley of Night in South America is reputed to be ruled by "were-jaguars."

What books are these in please?

Among the Fifth Edition sources published to date: Thaar and the Birdpeople are described, and a "Typical Birdman Warrior" template provided, in Champions Universe: News Of The World p. 106. (Kestrel is written up in Digital Hero #11). CU: NOTW also briefly describes the Kingdom of the Apes on p. 155. No stats for its inhabitants are given, but Champions Universe recommends using the character sheet for the "Guardian Ape" from the 5E HERO System Bestiary p. 40.

Beast Mountain and Lemuria are detailed in Hidden Lands. Two things to keep in mind about that book: the Manimals aren't statted there; and the Lemurians it describes are trapped in human form due to an ancient spell. However, Monster Island includes character sheets for several species of Manimals (and other animal-men appear in the Bestiary), and MI also writes up the reptilian, shapeshifting type of Lemurians. Note that the Sixth Edition version of the Bestiary will consolidate all the varieties of animal-men in one section.

The Chunhu are mentioned in The Mystic World, and the were-jaguars of the Valley of Night briefly touched on in Champions Universe. No stats are provided for either, but the Weretiger on HSB pp. 101-102 would be a good template to start with. As for the Karkaradon, you'll find them in Book Of The Destroyer pp. 72-74.

Among the Fifth Edition sources published to date: Thaar and the Birdpeople are described' date=' and a "Typical Birdman Warrior" template provided, in [i']Champions Universe: News Of The World[/i] p. 106. (Kestrel is written up in Digital Hero #11). CU: NOTW also briefly describes the Kingdom of the Apes on p. 155. No stats for its inhabitants are given, but Champions Universe recommends using the character sheet for the "Guardian Ape" from the 5E HERO System Bestiary p. 40.

Beast Mountain and Lemuria are detailed in Hidden Lands. Two things to keep in mind about that book: the Manimals aren't statted there; and the Lemurians it describes are trapped in human form due to an ancient spell. However, Monster Island includes character sheets for several species of Manimals (and other animal-men appear in the Bestiary), and MI also writes up the reptilian, shapeshifting type of Lemurians. Note that the Sixth Edition version of the Bestiary will consolidate all the varieties of animal-men in one section.

The Chunhu are mentioned in The Mystic World, and the were-jaguars of the Valley of Night briefly touched on in Champions Universe. No stats are provided for either, but the Weretiger on HSB pp. 101-102 would be a good template to start with. As for the Karkaradon, you'll find them in Book Of The Destroyer pp. 72-74.

Thank you.