Circle of Protection

Narf the Mouse

Re: Circle of Protection

Is this a trick question? Barrier' date=' Only Works Against Lions (-1 to -2, depending on how prevalent they are in your campaign; conceivably, an all-lion campaign setting (The Ghost and the Darkness Hero?) could reduce the value to nothing.)

The only problen with this - is that the way I read things is that if anything other than a lion crosses the barrier, it brings the Barrier down.

That's why I thought about the Change Environment... Just make them afraid to enter the area

For the barrier, I'd let you do it if you limited it vs Lions but added semi-transparent from your own side (after all you can attack the lions, but they can't fight back)...

I have a question. Can you attack through the barrier?

The disadvantage approach is the most elegant for most of the traditional, only versus type of magics. It means that you are concentrating on what the limitations of the protection are rather than the mechanics of trying to affect someone else.

So. If demons are limted to not crossing pentacles, then anyone who can achieve a pentacle can trap a demon. However, one tradition may create pentacles where each point must contain a different elemental substance, another might require a particular kind of chalk, another might require perfectly drawn lines etc etc. It is a nice way to mix up the magic without breaking the fundamental rule affecting the demons.

If you wanted a way of keeping safe then I might suggest EDM. You are moved to a visible but unachievable destination for the protected against group to go. If someone within the dimension breaks the boundary then everyone is moved back to where they started.

Shooting attacks out of the pocket dimension may be more difficult and might possibly break the rule about breaking the boundary....

Doc

If you wanted a way of keeping safe then I might suggest EDM. You are moved to a visible but unachievable destination for the protected against group to go. If someone within the dimension breaks the boundary then everyone is moved back to where they started.

Something like this?

Circle of Protection: Extra-Dimensional Movement (Inside the circle treated as a seperate dimension), x4 Increased Weight, Constant (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Nearby (+1) (90 Active Points); Extra Time (5 Minutes, Only to Activate, -1), Requires A Roll (Skill roll; Magic; -1/2), IIF Expendable (Difficult to obtain new Focus; Inks, powders, magical writing implements; -1/2)

I'm not satisfied with this build. It has UN and Extra Mass to let you bring friends and gear, and Constant to model it sticking around. I still think I've left something out

There is also some handwaving going on. You can see both into and out of the circle, so I think that balanced out. The mechanism for entering or leaving the pocket dimension is simply crossing the edge of the circle. Only those near the caster when the circle is set up can do this, however. I considered adding AoE: Radius to reflect the size of the circle, but decided that was unnecessary.

Shooting attacks out of the pocket dimension may be more difficult and might possibly break the rule about breaking the boundary....
You would need to add something like this.

One-Way Protection: Naked Advantage: Transdimensional (Single Dimension; Outside the circle; +1/2) for up to 40 Active Points, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Usable Nearby (+1) (50 Active Points); Linked (Circle of Protection; -1/2), Unified Power (Circle of Protection; -1/4)

Just to chime in here, Telekinesis 30 str (Set effect - repulsion, whole object only, only affects predators, area of effect surface, persistent, 0 end) seems like it would work more elegantly than XDM without worrying about your GMs interpretation of the Barrier rules.

Good idea, Tylorsama... (and welcome on board ;)

Since it is already Constant, I'd say adding Uncontrolled (so the character can sleep it lasts until the Circle isn't "broken"), "Extra Time" (scraping the circle on the ground), Cost END to activate (if like a spell) or 0 END... add to that your Set Effect & affect Whole Object

It costs a lot tho... with an AoE of 3m Radius (+- 20' diameter), it's about 90 AP...

15 pts for 30 STR

AoE +1/4

Cost End to Activate -1/2 or 0 END for -1/4

Affect Whole Objects -1/4

Uncontrolled +1/2

Extra Time (say... 5 mins to do the circle correctly, -2)

90 AP, 28 Real

101 AP, 31 Real for the 0 END one

Pick one, season to taste...

Barriers go down when something they can affect penetrates them -- in game terms, if the BODY is overcome after an attack penetrates the defenses, the Barrier is down. If I have a Barrier that can only affect one entity and its attacks, then that's it. Since it's the GM's call whether or not to allow it, it basically comes down to "if the GM wants it to work, it does." The One-Way Barrier Advantage is to allow a Barrier to affect a particular kind of attacks, but from only one direction. So, I could have a Barrier that prevents an enemy's fire spells from hitting me, but my fire spells are unimpeded.

Now, keep in mind that the Barrier might have the limitation "Only Works Against Demons And Other Summoned Entities." The GM is within his rights to consider the various attack types the summoned creature has, to work around this. For instance, if my summoned demon happens to have learned fire magics, then my PC may be out of luck depending on interpretation. Because of nuances like this, I prefer the Physical Complication approach to Summonables.

Thanks! And I concede the point on the the cost. I didn't sit down and compare the points to the barrier case before posting. The TK just seemed like an elegant way around the 'barrier falls if you walk through it' issue. All you need is a 90 pt. multipower... that happens all the time in heroic games, right? :nonp:

Thanks! And I concede the point on the the cost. I didn't sit down and compare the points to the barrier case before posting. The TK just seemed like an elegant way around the 'barrier falls if you walk through it' issue. All you need is a 90 pt. multipower... that happens all the time in heroic games' date=' right? :nonp:[/quote']

Or a Real Point multi-power. :)