Circle of Protection

Narf the Mouse

Re: Circle of Protection

Is it a spell or is it something anybody can do? If second then just give the baddies a physical limitation - "cannot cross or attack across a _______ barrier". Or perhaps wrap a whole bunch of things into one general disadvantage.

It depends on how you understand the magic of your game world. As azato says, if it's something anyone can do, it's probably a Physical Complication. My (traditional) demons are built with this:

20....Physical Complication: Restricted By Pentagrams, if confined within a pentagram cannot leave or affect anyone or anything outside the pentagram (Infrequently; Fully Impairing)
They also have the True Name Complication, on the theory that True Names could be learned by anyone.
20....Physical Complication: Must Obey Anyone Who Knows Its True Name (Infrequently; Fully Impairing)
Now, both of these are dependent on the idea that anyone an draw a pentagram or say a True Name; if these require special knowledge to use (say, proper knowledge of the runes and incanting a spell while drawing the pentagram, or knowledge of a magical language to learn the True Name), then they become something more like Powers.
82....Magic Circle: (Total: 785 Active Cost, 82 Real Cost) Barrier 20 PD/20 ED/20 Mental Defense/20 Power Defense/20 Flash Defense: Radio Group/20 Flash Defense: Mental Group/20 Flash Defense: Touch Group/20 Flash Defense: Smell/Taste Group/20 Flash Defense: Hearing Group/20 Flash Defense: Sight Group, 20 BODY (up to 6m long, 1m tall, and 1/2m thick) (448 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3 1/4), OIF Immobile Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain; magic circle drawn in fresh blood with black candles; -2), Concentration, (0 DCV; throughout the drawing of the circle; -1), Only Works Against Attacks From One Specific Type Of Demon (-1), Gestures, (-1/2), Incantations (; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4) (Real Cost: 45) plus RKA 6d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger requires a Turn or more to reset; specific species of demon crosses the threshold of the Barrier; +1/4), Affects Desolidified (even desolid demons of the specific species cannot escape; +1/4), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (target is not a specific species of demon; All Or Nothing; +1), Does BODY (+1) (337 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Hour, Character May Take No Other Actions, -3 1/4), OIF Immobile Fragile Expendable (Difficult to obtain; magic circle drawn in fresh blood with black candles; -2), Concentration, (0 DCV; throughout the drawing of the circle; -1), Gestures, (-1/2), Incantations (; -1/2), No Range (-1/2), Restricted Shape (-1/4) (Real Cost: 37)....END=78

44....True Name: Mind Control 20d6 (Alien class of minds), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (target is not the True Named target; All Or Nothing; +0), Affects Desolidified (even desolid demons cannot escape; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (175 Active Points); Only Works Against The Target With The Given True Name (-2), Incantations (-1/4), Literal Interpretation (-1/4), Perceivable (-1/4), Limited Range (16m -- 'hearing range'; -1/4)...END=0

Tough Barrier coupled with a Suppress AoE vs "effects from Evils"?

I had to take a second look(need new reading glass I guess) at this cause I was wondering what exactly the "effects of Elvis" were and why you would want to suppress them? :D

I had to take a second look(need new reading glass I guess) at this cause I was wondering what exactly the "effects of Elvis" were and why you would want to suppress them? :D

For those not old enough to remember the effects of Elvis, or the attempts to suppress them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elvis_Presley#Commercial_breakout_and_controversy_.281956.E2.80.9358.29

Lucius Alexander

And an unsuppressible palindromedary

An inclusive circle, one meant to keep something in would probably be built as an Entangle. Just increase the defenses, affects desolid, transdimensional to stop EDM etc.

An exclusive circle, one meant to keep things out (protecting the person/object in the middle of the circle) I would use Force Wall/Barrier with lots of Defense and Body, hardened, transdimensional etc.

You might suggest it as a common Complication for Summoned beings. (The beings in HSB I was talking about were demons' date=' devils, that sort of thing.)[/quote']who said anything about summoned beings. When camping in the savannah, I want to make sure that the local carnivores can't get to me, and I don't want to have to build a fortress or bring down the barrier if I have to pee.

When camping in the savannah' date=' I want to make sure that the local carnivores can't get to me, and I don't want to have to build a fortress or bring down the barrier if I have to pee.[/quote']

My apologies for neglecting the context. The simplest builds would be a Barrier large enough to encompass your camp and latrine (so you don't encounter a lion while doing your bear-in-the-woods impression) or Mind Control (animal class of minds, single command "Stay Away").

What would you think of this...

Change Environment, AoE, with a small surprise (say, 1-2 points of electrtical damage) -Xm Running (Only when going toward the Center of the AoE), only affects animals of type Y.

Say it is a "ward" vs Lions... they'd get Zapped and slowed when trying to get to the center of the Ward, but not when going away from it...