Famous Artifacts of the Underworld?

AlHazred

One of the (IMO) neatest ideas in the old World of Darkness [WoD] role-playing game Wraith: The Oblivion {WtO] is the idea that objects of importance to someone that are destroyed in the Mortal World (called the Skinlands in that setting) take on reality in the reflection of the Mortal World that the dead inhabit (called the Shadowlands). These objects are called relics, and represent one of the few actual resources of the game -- since the only thing in the Shadowlands is dead people, there's not really a lot else to barter with. If you felt a big attachment to the watch that your wife gave you just before she died, when you go, your dead self (your Wraith character) might have it with him as well. Since the object of WtO seems to be to see how much torment you can inflict on your player character, these objects of great personal importance are good role-playing tools. In any case, over decades of Restlessness, the watch gradually fades away, as do most things in the afterlife.

Some relics, important to more than just one or two individuals, might last longer; these are called artifacts. Objects of importance to large numbers of people, that are destroyed in the Mortal Realm, might permanently take up residence in the Shadowlands. I believe the most famous artifact in the book is the Library of Alexandria. Considering the myths and legends that have sprung up about it, I think that's a fine addition to the decor of the Underworld. A couple of other examples are mentioned, the only one of which that I can remember right now being Brutus' Dagger.

What else might be in there? I can't really think of anything else famous myself, so I pose this question to the fine minds here.

Re: Famous Artifacts of the Underworld?

If the Library of Alexandria can be in the Land of the Dead, then surely the Temple of Solomon belongs there, too. Perhaps also the Colossus of Rhodes.

As to items of a more portable nature, the problem is that many of the most famous ones are either primarily legendary, or rumored to still exist somewhere in the living world. I'll have to give this more thought and get back to you.

I'd also suggest the crown of united Egypt. When the semi-legendary first Pharaoh, Menes, united Upper and Lower Egypt into one kingdom, the crowns of each of its constituents were combined into one design representing the single rule of the land. Although the crown must have been remade many times over Egypt's near-3000-year independent history, the basic design remained the same over all that time.

This may be too sensitive and controversial, but given the metaphysical dynamic you describe, one edifice would surely be in the Shadowlands by now: the World Trade Center.

I'd also suggest the crown of united Egypt.
Later Wraith books describe other Lands of the Dead (called Shadow Kingdoms); the implication is that the shape of the afterlife is determined by Consensus beliefs and that as beliefs shift' date=' the geography of the Shadowlands shifts as well. This crown could very likely be in the Egyptian Shadow Kingdom (which I believe is called Ma'at, though I may be mistaken there).
This may be too sensitive and controversial, but given the metaphysical dynamic you describe, one edifice would surely be in the Shadowlands by now: the World Trade Center.
I was there, and I don't think it's too soon. This is a fine addition to the Shadowlands. Considering the game line started out in 1994, and was closed out in 1997...
Okay' date=' following the example of Brutus's dagger, how about the sword of Alexander the Great, with which he cut the Gordian Knot? Plenty of symbolism there.[/quote']Sadly, I don't know that there's enough knowledge of/belief in this myth for that item to still be around. Be a good one, though...
We're talking about things that have been destroyed in the mortal world.
To be fair' date=' the Stone of Scone being in English hands means that, to the Scots, it might as well [i']be [/i]destroyed...
The True Cross (only fragments still exist in the Skinlands)

The Labyrinth

The Titanic

The Hindenburg

These are all good additions. Thanks!
The only virgin to ever graduate from the University of Missouri?
I said the Underworld contains destroyed items' date=' not [i']mythical [/i]ones...

This may be too sensitive and controversial' date=' but given the metaphysical dynamic you describe, one edifice would surely be in the Shadowlands by now: the World Trade Center.[/quote']

In the webcomic Jack, something similar happened. One tower went to Heaven, the other went to Hell. Not pleasant. The people who ended up there with it re-live the events over, and over, and over.