Magic Sword help 6E

Shinobi Killfis

One of my fellow players is trying to build a magic sword. It is a big two handed sword and he wants it to do more damage as it draws blood or kills people over the day. The first thought from me was an Aid with trigger and a slowed rate of decay but I noticed there is no way in 6e to increase the maximum aid without increasing the dice.

He wanted more of a slow build instead of hitting max after two kills so a 3-4d6 aid was not working. The other idea is to just buy what you want in killing attack but put a limit on the extra past normal two handed sword.

Does anyone have a idea on what kind of limitation we are talking about roughly. Also any other ideas on how to build this.

Re: Magic Sword help 6E

One of my fellow players is trying to build a magic sword. It is a big two handed sword and he wants it to do more damage as it draws blood or kills people over the day. The first thought from me was an Aid with trigger and a slowed rate of decay but I noticed there is no way in 6e to increase the maximum aid without increasing the dice.

You could buy extra dice with the Limitation, "Only to increase maximum effect". I think that -1 would be an appropriate value.

I'm going to suggest the Proportional Advantage/Limitation from the Advanced Players Guide, page 139-140. It's built for this kind of thing. You figure out how powerful you want the power to get, and slide the advantage or limitation value over depending on how often the condition that triggers it is going to happen.

For instance, let's say I have a magic longsword dedicated to an evil Sun God. It does 1d6+1 HKA (4 DCs) all night long and first thing in the morning. If I kill people with it during the day, it gets more powerful. So, I define that by saying the first person adds +1 DC, the second adds +2 DC, the fourth adds +3 DC, the eighth adds +4 DC, and so on, up to a maximum of 4d6 HKA (12 DCs, when I've killed 128 people); whenever it reaches a milestone, it stays that way until the sun sets.

That's a tripling of power, worth +2. Now, if I'm in a campaign where the setting dictates that what I'm doing would be murder and it frowns on that, then the circumstances under which I'd get the boost would be maybe Very Uncommon, which reduces the value of the advantage by 2, to +0. If all I have to do is draw blood from opponents, then it might be Uncommon, for a total value of +1/2. If I'm an adventurer or soldier and the chances of me drawing blood/killing people rises to likelihood, then it's maybe Very Common, for a total advantage of +1 1/2.

Applied to an HKA of 1d6+1, bought with Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) and this Proportional Advantage (+1 1/2), I'd have an Active Point value of 60.

I'm going to suggest the Proportional Advantage/Limitation from the Advanced Players Guide, page 139-140. It's built for this kind of thing. You figure out how powerful you want the power to get, and slide the advantage or limitation value over depending on how often the condition that triggers it is going to happen.

For instance, let's say I have a magic longsword dedicated to an evil Sun God. It does 1d6+1 HKA (4 DCs) all night long and first thing in the morning. If I kill people with it during the day, it gets more powerful. So, I define that by saying the first person adds +1 DC, the second adds +2 DC, the fourth adds +3 DC, the eighth adds +4 DC, and so on, up to a maximum of 4d6 HKA (12 DCs, when I've killed 128 people); whenever it reaches a milestone, it stays that way until the sun sets.

That's a tripling of power, worth +2. Now, if I'm in a campaign where the setting dictates that what I'm doing would be murder and it frowns on that, then the circumstances under which I'd get the boost would be maybe Very Uncommon, which reduces the value of the advantage by 2, to +0. If all I have to do is draw blood from opponents, then it might be Uncommon, for a total value of +1/2. If I'm an adventurer or soldier and the chances of me drawing blood/killing people rises to likelihood, then it's maybe Very Common, for a total advantage of +1 1/2.

Applied to an HKA of 1d6+1, bought with Reduced Endurance (0 END, +1/2) and this Proportional Advantage (+1 1/2), I'd have an Active Point value of 60.

Very nice. I need to re-read my APG

If you want something more like Stormbringer, where every person you kill increases your strength, it's bought as an Aid, Trigger (+1/4), Linked to the HKA (-1/2), Only If HKA Brings Someone To 0 BODY (-1/4 to -2, depending on how big the HKA is).

If you want something where the sword seems to get lighter as you kill people, but you don't actually gain any STR, then it's more like a separate Proportional STR Minimum -- figure out what the "normal" STR Min is for the sword (say 12 STR, for a -1/2 Limitation) and then adjust according to how often you think it's going to be lower than that. If we go by the above example, where I'm an adventurer and I achieve the greatest effect when I kill 128 people, then it's Very Common. Let's say every 10 people I kill, the STR Minimum goes down by 1, to a minimum of 1; I would value the STR Minimum at -1/4, assuming that it's going to be fairly infrequent that I kill 128 people, and most of the time the STR Min is going to hover in the 4-8 range by the end of the day.

Now, all of this post and the last one is predicated on the idea that you have a group of bloodthirsty sociopaths like the standard group of D&D adventurers. If that's not the case, then these Limitations rise somewhat in value since it's unlikely the PC will be killing vast hordes of monsters.