5th Ed - Autofire & Area of Effect...

Arlyansor

Hi All,

I've had an idea for a villain and I was wanting to know if it was legal/legit...

The basic premise is that the character can manifest a swam of telekinetic, monomolecular blades/needles that fill an area around him.

Individually, each of these does minimal damage (only 1 pip RKill) but the kicker is in the rest of the build... Essentially, what happens is that he activates the power, and everyone around him suddenly dies, bleeding from their orifices as their insides are reduced to the consistency of soup...

1 pip RKill, Selective 16" AoE (Radius), autofire (20 shots, Non-standard attack), 0 END, Penetrating, Personal Immunity, Affects Desolid (All), Indirect (Any/Any), Fully Invisible (including effects of the power), No Knockback, No Range, -2 Decreased Stun Multiplier.

51 Active and 23 Real points.

Now, the questions are these: How to best model the fact that there are hundred (or even thousands) of these blades swarming around him, slicing through everyone. I've stated autofire (20), and given him an obscene bonus to his skill (+30) with this attack to represent this, but it seems sort-of clunky to me.

Also, as it is an area of effect, do I roll his attack vs DCV 3, and then calculate the additional hits from there, or what. FREd doesn't say much on autofire AoE attacks, so I need some help here.

Any advise or ideas gratefully received...

Thanks,

Arlyansor

Re: 5th Ed - Autofire & Area of Effect...

You target DCV 3 most likely all 20 shots are going to hit (even if they don't they'll most likely land close enough to still do damage) then for each of your Selective Targets you will need to roll up to 20 times each to hit vs normal DCV. I'd drop the Autofire and just increase the DCs myself.

Keep in mind "Autofire" is not the only way to simulate "multiple attacks." This could easily just be an AoE Penetrating RKA that does Xd6k and has the special effect of "tiny flying blades."

Also, I'd say a 1 Pip Penetrating RKA is kind of Cheesy. Since each DIE of effect is supposed to do 1 BODY minimum, I'd rule that it would take 3 "pips" of damage (ie 3 hits) to cause 1 BODY. I generally don't even allow penetrating on half dice (I'm sure there is an official rule on this, but no books with me right now.)

I don't think you can apply Penetrating to less than a full 1d6 Killing attack; otherwise you end up with amazingly cheap Autofire kills like you have here.

I would model this quite differently. The sfx is the everyone in the area is skewered by dozens of little needles, but the basic result is they die. I would build this as 4d6 RKA, AoE, Selective, NND - defense is Hardened rPD, Does BDY, Personal Immunity etc. You might want to throw another reasonable defense in for the NND to balance it. The effect is the same, but the build is a lot more streamlined and easier to work in combat. The cost is much higher, but a power that kills virtually everyone nearby should be really expensive.

Keep in mind "Autofire" is not the only way to simulate "multiple attacks." This could easily just be an AoE Penetrating RKA that does Xd6k and has the special effect of "tiny flying blades."

Also, I'd say a 1 Pip Penetrating RKA is kind of Cheesy. Since each DIE of effect is supposed to do 1 BODY minimum, I'd rule that it would take 3 "pips" of damage (ie 3 hits) to cause 1 BODY. I generally don't even allow penetrating on half dice (I'm sure there is an official rule on this, but no books with me right now.)

The "official" rule is 1 pip does the job....but I require a whole die....(If I recall correctly)

Just a cautionary build:

25 The Munchkinator!: RKA 1 point (standard effect: 1 BODY, 42 STUN), Area Of Effect Accurate (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Armor Piercing (x2; +1), Autofire (5 shots; +1 1/2), +40 Increased STUN Multiplier (+10) (75 Active Points); Side Effects (GM slaps player upside head for attempting to use such a silly power build; -1), Activation Roll 14-, Jammed (GM smells cheese in the air; -1) - END=0

:D

You probably want Accurate Selective (in 5th ed, this would be represented by two AoE advantages), unless it's actually possible to dodge the micro-blades. And agreed that for this power, Autofire isn't really necessary. If you find the straight-up version too expensive, you could go with a somewhat slower disassembly:

RKA 1d6, AoE (16" Radius, Selective; +1 1/2), AoE (1 Hex, Accurate; +1/2), NND (Defense is Hardened PD; +1), Does Body (+1), Continuous (+1), Only Costs END to Activate (+1/4), 79 active points; No Range (-1/2), No Knockback (-1/4), -2 Decreased STUN Multiplier (-1/2), 35 real points.

Only 3-4 BODY the first phase, but the amount keeps increasing by that much each phase if you keep activating it. So within three phases, that's 21 BODY, enough to drop most non-bricks to dying.