In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

You know Tesla going to be a fun character when just skimming his Wikipedia entry nets you the following Skills:

2	Animal Handler (Birds) 11-
3	Electronics 11-
3	Gambling (Card Games, Chess) 11-
3	Inventor 11-
3	PS: Billards 11-
3	Systems Operation 11-
2	Weaponsmith (Energy Weapons) 11-
3	Linguist
2	1)  Language:  Czech (completely fluent)
2	2)  Language:  English (completely fluent)
2	3)  Language:  French (completely fluent)
2	4)  Language:  German (completely fluent)
2	5)  Language:  Hungarian (Magyar) (completely fluent)
2	6)  Language:  Italian (completely fluent)
2	7)  Language:  Latin (completely fluent)
0	8)  Language:  Serbo-Croatian (idiomatic; literate)
3	Scholar
3	Scientist

This doesn't count his possible Eidetic Memory, his Life Support (~1-2 hours of sleep a night), and his slew of Psychological Complications (or his Rivalry with Edison.)

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lord Rutherford was more than an experimental match for Tesla, but he was a New Zealander (who went NZ --> England --> Canada --> England) and doesn't go in a Mythic America book. All he did was get nuclear physics well started. Actually, he did more than that, but that's what he's best known for.

As noted before, each Archetype includes mini-bios of significant individuals associated with that Archetype (for example, Custer had Lee, Grant, Stonewall Jackson, and others.)

Here is my list for Sitting Bull:

Black Elk (Heȟáka Sápa) (1863-1950):

Crazy Horse (Tȟašúŋke Witkó) (c. 1840-1877):

Chief Joseph (Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt) (1840-1904):

Geronimo (Goyaałé) (1829-1909):

Pocahontas (c. 1595-1617):

Sacajawea (1788-1812):

Sequoyah (ᏍᏏᏉᏯ) (c. 1770-1843):

Chief Seattle (Si’ahl) (c. 1780-1866):

Code Talkers:

And in case it doesn't come through, the text after Sequoyah is his name in the Cherokee alphabet.

As noted before, each Archetype includes mini-bios of significant individuals associated with that Archetype (for example, Custer had Lee, Grant, Stonewall Jackson, and others.)

Here is my list for Sitting Bull:

Black Elk (Heȟáka Sápa) (1863-1950):

Crazy Horse (Tȟašúŋke Witkó) (c. 1840-1877):

Chief Joseph (Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt) (1840-1904):

Geronimo (Goyaałé) (1829-1909):

Pocahontas (c. 1595-1617):

Sacajawea (1788-1812):

Sequoyah (ᏍᏏᏉᏯ) (c. 1770-1843):

Chief Seattle (Si’ahl) (c. 1780-1866):

Code Talkers:

And in case it doesn't come through, the text after Sequoyah is his name in the Cherokee alphabet.

What is the criteria here? Are these other Native American leaders/people of influence? If so I'd like to suggest Tecumseh and his brother Tenskwatawa. Both of them have a great deal of personal mythology around them and they came alarmingly close to being the founders of an Indian nation recognized by the Europeans.

What is the criteria here? Are these other Native American leaders/people of influence? If so I'd like to suggest Tecumseh and his brother Tenskwatawa. Both of them have a great deal of personal mythology around them and they came alarmingly close to being the founders of an Indian nation recognized by the Europeans.

I've dropped Seattle and Code Talkers from the extended list (I mention them in the introduction) and have added Tecumseh.

Ok. In all this Blackwyrm Games discussion, I somehow failed to visit the website. I think I'm gonna need a copy of "Gestalt: The Hero Within", Scott.

And Terracide and...

Kazei 5!

Ok. In all this Blackwyrm Games discussion, I somehow failed to visit the website. I think I'm gonna need a copy of "Gestalt: The Hero Within", Scott.

And Terracide and...

Yes, you will.

And work continues, slowly but surely, on the 6e conversions for the follow up book. Hope to get that out in the reasonably near future.

• 4 months later...

Another progress update. Let's see if I can sum it all up....

1. I changed the archetype for Tesla from Mad Scientist to Inventor. This is for two reasons: a) "Mad Scientist" is more Pulp-era than late 18th Century, and B) it works better with the other sample inventors I have listed.
  2. I finished reading Tesla: Master of Lightning and have worked up a 300-point character sheet for him. As with many of the other real-world people in the book, the character sheet is slanted towards a cinematic portrayal.
  3. The other inventors of note listed in this section are: Benjamin Franklin, Charles Goodyear, Eli Whitney, George Washington Carver, Samuel Finley Breese Morse, Thomas Alva Edison, and Walter Hunt.
  4. I have completed the Inventor Template.
  5. I migrated Calamity Jane, Liver-Eatin' Johnson, and Emperor Norton from their 5E appearances in YGHC to 6E. I intend to look up some of Jason's listed source material and see about putting my own take on the work Jason has done.
  6. The list of remaining characters is as follows: Calamity Jane (Scout), Emperor Norton (Emperor), Jesse James (Outlaw), Liver Eating Johnson (Mountain Man), Nikola Tesla (Inventor -- in progress), Uncle Sam (National Icon), and Wild Bill Hickok (Lawman).
  7. Uncle Sam will be an essay, with no character sheet.
  8. Emperor Norton (Joshua Abraham Norton) will be a stand alone character, as he doesn't really fill an archetype.
  9. I also offer Tesla's Quote for his character sheet: “You would think me a dreamer and very far gone if I should tell you what I really hope for. But I can tell you that I look forward with absolute confidence to sending messages through the earth without any wires. I have also great hopes of transmitting electric force in the same way without waste. Concerning the transmission of messages through the earth I have no hesitation in predicting success.”
  10. As a side note, I'm also working on something called Ghosts, Ghouls, and Golems--A HERO System Sourcebook for the Strange and Supernatural.
  11. I hope to have both books ready for GenCon 2013.

The more I learn about Tesla, the more I've come to conclude that he can totally re-write your late Victorian and early-Pulp Era campaigns if you so wish. All you need to say is "Tesla did it" and your players will reply with "Oh, well no problem then."

Case in point is The Prestige. Upon viewing certain scenes, your reaction is probably -- "But that's something out of Star Trek!" until you realize Tesla made it. Then you're all "Seems legit." (And I've yet to find someone who has seen the movie and disagrees with said assessment.)

The more I learn about Tesla, the more I've come to conclude that he can totally re-write your late Victorian and early-Pulp Era campaigns if you so wish. All you need to say is "Tesla did it" and your players will reply with "Oh, well no problem then."

Case in point is The Prestige. Upon viewing certain scenes, your reaction is probably -- "But that's something out of Star Trek!" until you realize Tesla made it. Then you're all "Seems legit." (And I've yet to find someone who has seen the movie and disagrees with said assessment.)

I completely agree. Doc Volt, the Black Current!, in our pulp game, is Tesla's nephew and the entire party takes the "Oh, Tesla? Well, then, of course it works!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a further teaser, I've decided to post some of the quotes I'll be using to illustrate the nature and personality of the various characters presented in the book.

Such a day, rum all out. Our company somewhat sober. A damn’d confusion among us! Rogues a-plotting, great talk of separation—so I looked sharp for a prize.

[later] Such a day, took one, with a great deal of liquor on board, so kept the company hot, damn’d hot; then all things went well again.

An except from Blackbeard’s journal.

“I can out speak any man.”

Davy Crockett

“Can't say as ever I was lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.”

Daniel Boone

“I’m a salt-river roarer, a ring-tailed squealer, a screamer from the old Mississippi! I refused milk as a babe, and drank rye instead. I can out-run, out-jump, out-shoot, out-brag, out-drink, and out-fight any man.”

Mike Fink

“I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way.”

John Paul Jones

“My name is John Henry and when folks call me by my name, they’ll know I’m a natural man. I’m big and black and six-feet tall and my feet don’t touch the ground.”

John Henry

“If you want to hit a man in the chest, aim for his groin.”

Bat Masterson

“Courage boys, we’ve got them! We’ll finish them up and then go home to our station."

[Custer’s last known words, uttered at the Battle of the Little Big Horn]

Soldier of the 15th Alabama: “We were never whipped before, and [we] never wanted to meet the 20th Maine again.”

“It is well that war is so terrible—we should grow too fond of it”

Robert E. Lee

A Union Soldier: “Ulysses [s Grant] don't scare worth a damn.”

“The income tax has made more liars out of Americans than golf.”

Will Rodgers

"Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.”

Chief Joseph’s surrender speech (authenticity in question)