In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

Susano

Dave gave me the nod, so....

Currently under development for BlackWyrm Games is the Champions supplement Mythic America (name subject to change), a collection of American tall-tale and folk heroes presented as proto-super heroes. Some will be people you've all heard of (such as Davy Crockett and Paul Bunyan), others are far less familiar (Febold Feboldson and Joe Magarac.) All will hopefully be suitable for adventures set in the 1800s or the very early pulp-era.

If all goes well, the book will even cover the more modern era, examining such cultural icons as Elvis Presley and Bruce Lee, as well as going as far back as Blackbeard. After all, what game can't use a pirate, a king of rock and roll, and the greatest martial artist who ever lived?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: In Progress From Blackwyrm Games: Mythic America

As a side note, I showed this material to Oddhat and he was pretty ecstatic. He later told me it caused him to complete rethink the backstory and prehistory he'd have for any supers game he ran.

We're (that being BlackWyrm and I) are discussing a companion book, which is "Fearsome Critters", a collection of tall-talk and folklore creatures from across the US. Some would be classics from the 1800s (the Hodag, the Axe-handle Hound, Hoop Snakes), others would be (I hope) more modern (Bigfoot, Mothman, Mad Gassers, and so on.)

My co-author, Jason, mentioned Michael Jackson as a possible entry.

In "Fearsome Critters"?

Although he might fit per some people's criteria, Michael Jackson was/is under consideration for the Mythic America part. You have to admit, like him or not, he's very much a larger-than-life cultural icon.

I was lucky enough to see some of the character write ups for this project. It looks incredible.

Want a literal Man of Steel who stands unharmed in a furnace and rolls cannon balls from molten metal with his bare hands? All rules legal with no hand waving?

Want a Paul Bunyan who can do pretty much all that Paul could do in the tall tales?

Want a frickin pre-1900 American Super Mage?

As a setting for adventures this is pretty awesome, but it also works very well if you're trying for a Super History (secret or otherwise) for your Supers setting. Adapt it somewhat, and you can have period appropriate Supers starting in the 1800s.

I was lucky enough to see some of the character write ups for this project. It looks incredible.

Want a literal Man of Steel who stands unharmed in a furnace and rolls cannon balls from molten metal with his bare hands? All rules legal with no hand waving?

Want a Paul Bunyan who can do pretty much all that Paul could do in the tall tales?

As a setting for adventures this is pretty awesome, but it also works very well if you're trying for a Super History (secret or otherwise) for your Supers setting. Adapt it somewhat, and you can have period appropriate Supers starting in the 1800s.

And, as I highly value Oddhat's advice, odds are he'll see more of the material as it's developed. A prospect I'm sure he'll have no objection too. ^_^

I totally like the sound of that since my campaign world does have supers going back as long as humanity.

But can I trust this Surbrook Character? I mean what has he written before?

:D

I totally like the sound of that since my campaign world does have supers going back as long as humanity.

But can I trust this Surbrook Character? I mean what has he written before?

:D

A little bit, here and there. :D

On my shelf are Kazei 5, the Asian Bestiaries 1 & 2, Ninja Hero, and the 6thEd Hero System Martial Arts (he was a contributer); then there's his website, which is not on my shelf but is on my favorites bar), plus masses of Digital Hero / Haymaker articles.

So, yup, a bit. :)

A little bit, here and there. :D

On my shelf are Kazei 5, the Asian Bestiaries 1 & 2, Ninja Hero, and the 6thEd Hero System Martial Arts (he was a contributer); then there's his website, which is not on my shelf but is on my favorites bar), plus masses of Digital Hero / Haymaker articles.

So, yup, a bit. :)

*blank stare* Never heard of him

*giggle*

Looking forward to it, Mike.

Although he might fit per some people's criteria' date=' Michael Jacxkson was/is under consideration for the Mythic America part. You have to admit, like him or not, he's very much a larger-than-life cultural icon.[/quote']That, and he had a special love for superheroes (he even developed his own superhero persona ("Captain Fantastic," IIRC).

It may also be worth mentioning that several people have conjectured (myself among them, but not the first) that MJ was somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

That, and he had a special love for superheroes (he even developed his own superhero persona ("Captain Fantastic," IIRC).

It may also be worth mentioning that several people have conjectured (myself among them, but not the first) that MJ was somewhere on the autistic spectrum.

I can honestly say that if MJ is in the book, it will probably be a somewhat idealized version of him... meaning such things as possible autism and accusations of pedophilia wouldn't be mentioned. The same goes for Elvis -- it would be an Elvis as he saw himself, a mix of R&B, rock star, karate black belt, and G-man.

I can honestly say that if MJ is in the book' date=' it will probably be a somewhat idealized version of him... meaning such things as possible autism and accusations of pedophilia wouldn't be mentioned.[/quote']I don't think that "possible autism" and "somewhat idealized" are at all mutually exclusive. But then, I wouldn't.