Hostile guidance system

Lavek

I'm trying to build a defensive system into a vehicle that tries to hack into the guidance systems of incoming missiles, and redirects them to unfriendly targets, or points them in a generally safe direction. This sounded like a reflection to me, but there are a couple problems with that aproach.

The first problem is that reflection can't be used at range and this would require a minimum range so there would be time to take the missile over, and turn it around (GM restriction)

Second: the computer can redirect one missile at a time, with a succesful roll. That's fine except that reflect works off of blocking, and that requires a held action, or abort. Would a trigger make it always ready? Can that even be used with a maneuver like that?

Re: Hostile guidance system

It's a fairly complex concept.

To be workable the missiles probably need to be built as vehicles/automatons or such with on-board computers.

Then it's just a matter or using a Mind Control that hacks into the 'self-destruct' override or something similar.

Yeah, I would definitely ignore what 6E says and do this with Reflection, Ranged, Any Target, Requires a Roll. APG mentions this as an option.

That, or:

Hostile Guidance System: +4 with Ranged Combat (32 Active Points); Side Effects (Guidance system reaches out and smacks character; -1/4)

:)

Extra DCV is all well and good, but I want the likelyhood to be the same as the counterattack's.

And even if I can ignore the anti-ranged rule how do i get it to go off. There's still the problem of it needing to be an abort or held action.

And even if I can ignore the anti-ranged rule how do i get it to go off. There's still the problem of it needing to be an abort or held action.

Trigger that resets automatically will allow it to be set up oonce and then work automatically thereafter.

This won't be cheap, but then you basically want an ability that redirects attacks with no loss of actions on your part, which should be fairly expensive. There should be a fairly hefty limitation for the limited variety of attacks it affects, unless these are very common in your game.

Extra DCV is all well and good, but I want the likelyhood to be the same as the counterattack's.

You don't need to use an action or a Trigger for extra DCV. It's always going to be on unless you apply some kind of Limitation to make it otherwise.

Yeah, the onboard computer is what I went with. And the missiles are fairly common, but no more then chain guns, lasers or almost anything else. We're driving mechs. Either way it's all worked out now. Thanks once again for all the advice! :)

The first problem is that reflection can't be used at range and this would require a minimum range so there would be time to take the missile over' date=' and turn it around (GM restriction)[/quote']

I have to admit I think you or your GM are thinking way too literally on this point. The mechanic of HOW you redirect the missile and where that redirection occurs is irrelevant. What matters with reflection is that the missile is targeting the vehicle. You can't reflect an attack made against an ally, which in my mind is what "ranged" would allow you to do. Like other said... you could always ignore that rule as well. in 5th edition you used to be able to apply ranged to deflect/reflect.

Second: the computer can redirect one missile at a time' date=' with a succesful roll. That's fine except that reflect works off of blocking, and that requires a held action, or abort. Would a trigger make it always ready? Can that even be used with a maneuver like that?[/quote']

Buy extra actions for the vehicle / computer with a custom limitation that they can only be used to reflect missiles. I would give that at least a -1 limitation (probably much more) but the final value would be up to your GM.

Lets see right here...*thinking outside the box* Let me take a crack at this...

(13 active points) 14+Int/5 Computer programing (because i couldnt find a hacking skill), usable at range, triggered by sonar detecting incoming missile. Total +1 advantage. Real cost 26 points.

Would that work?

I think there might be some confusion about Deflection and Reflection. You don't need either to Block a Ranged attack (though it's up to the GM whether you can Block one at all). Deflection allows you to Block an attack at Range. That means against a target other than yourself, who is not next to you. So you could Block an attack made by A at your friend B who is across the room from you. Reflection is not needed to redirect in, "a generally safe direction;" it's assumed that Block by itself will do something like that. Reflection is required to redirect the ranged attack, "to unfriendly targets," and cannot--for some odd reason--be used on attacks you block at Range using Deflection (though I see nothing about whether it applies to attacks against an adjacent character you've Blocked for, so it appears that the original target of the attack doesn't have to be you as long as the attack is within your reach).