Looking for playability criticisms

Doc Samson

Re: Looking for playability criticisms

Yeah. See, this is the point. Death himself SHOULD be able to kill you, and you SHOULD be able to stay dead when he does. :)

Because Death's shtick is "He can kill anything. Period." Why should Death have to pay for a huge uncontrolled, constant area effect suppress of regenerate from death? That's kind of outlandish and overpointed.

Yeah. See, this is the point. Death himself SHOULD be able to kill you, and you SHOULD be able to stay dead when he does. :)

Because Death's shtick is "He can kill anything. Period." Why should Death have to pay for a huge uncontrolled, constant area effect suppress of regenerate from death? That's kind of outlandish and overpointed.

Do you think I should put a Suppress vs. (Suppress vs. Regeneration) in my Multipower?

Just kidding!

But think of how many XP Death has by now! He probably buys powers like that, just to use up the excess points. I heard he even donated some XP to Foxbat way back in the days of Champions II.

BTW, lemme tell you, having Invisibility to all senses and Detects, only vs. Death (-2) -- that really pisses Death off too.

Of course they aren't. But the problem comes in where the only way to stop the character is to constantly generate fire' date=' because of the massive amount of punishment he can withstand when fire is not on the table. Now, granted, fire is fairly common, and a PC dies in my game about once every two or three years of play. But, no one really comes back from the dead in my game either. [b']Death is meant to be a major story point[/b], and it detracts from the game as a whole when death is a free reboot eighteen months or so down the line.

I would suggest major story points don't happen by accident, such as random bad rolls in combat.

To you it may be a cool thing that this one character can do. But I'm looking at it from the metaperspective of what the rest of the players see' date=' and what they see is "Bob can't be killed, and the rest of us can be." You have to look at the mindset of the average gamer. The average gamer wants his character to be cool. But he doesn't want to constantly feel inferior to the same PC, over and over again.[/quote']

So let's assume a 5 hero PC team. Once every 2 - 3 years, a character dies, so they have a typical lifespan of about 10 years. The fact that one of them won't die after that 10 year average doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. And if it's a major story point, his death seems likely to be caused by whatever it is that he cannot regenerate from anyway.

I must have above-average gamers, then, because I have this same basic situation -- Styx has regeneration; in fact his origin is that he came back from the grave -- and the other PCs aren't jealous. Regeneration is Styx's shtick, not theirs. (Granted, Sentinel can heal BODY, but not an infinite amount and certainly not from death; however, the availability of her Healing likely mitigates any PC fear of death. So it's not a perfect match.)

The point being, IMO, that most PCs have their own shticks, and as long as another PC isn't stomping on my shtick, I don't mind so much when he shines at his specialty.

Agreed, with the caveat that the less lethal the game typically is, the less value that Resurrect adder actually has. If no one dies except the guy who can come back, then the guy who can come back just has a cool (and expensive) SFX for the same ability to survive that the remaining characters share, and paid nothing for.

I'd think the bigger worry would be that the character can absorb (non-fire) hits all day long. I could see other gamers being more jealous of *that* than of the character being able to laugh at Death on those incredibly rare occasions he would normally show up' date=' scythe in hand.[/quote']

Again, agreed. If this character's defenses are such that he's next to impossible to take down in combat, the players of more frequently KO'd characters will likely not be happy. And, in most Supers games, KO is vastly more common than killed, so I think the other players have every right to be unhappy if one character is much tougher to KO than the others.

I'd call 1DC damage negation about 3.5 defenses, so 4 DC negation + 30 PD equates to a 44 PD. That would be too high for my games, with 12 DC typical attacks.

But think of how many XP Death has by now! He probably buys powers like that, just to use up the excess points. I heard he even donated some XP to Foxbat way back in the days of Champions II.

BTW, lemme tell you, having Invisibility to all senses and Detects, only vs. Death (-2) -- that really pisses Death off too.

Death has Mind Scan, AVAD, NND. Defense is not being alive in any way.

Death has Mind Scan' date=' AVAD, NND. Defense is not being alive in any way.[/quote']

Question: If you're invisible to Mental group, then wouldn't Mind Scan be useless against you? :winkgrin:

That said, if there is a manifestation of Death, I hope he's something like Terry Pratchett's version. "You see, you are having a near-Death experience, which inescapably means that I must undergo a near-Vimes experience. Don't mind me. Carry on with whatever you were doing. I have a book."

Question: If you're invisible to Mental group, then wouldn't Mind Scan be useless against you? :winkgrin:

That said, if there is a manifestation of Death, I hope he's something like Terry Pratchett's version. "You see, you are having a near-Death experience, which inescapably means that I must undergo a near-Vimes experience. Don't mind me. Carry on with whatever you were doing. I have a book."

Ah, but see here's the problem. If you allow people to be invisible to the mental group, and just add INvisibility to sight, no one will ever play a mentalist again.

• 2 weeks later...

Your Distinctive Feature is also illegal, as you cannot have an easily concealed distinctive feature that is simultaneously detectable by common senses. Unless he smells like a rotting pile of muck all the time, then he's not getting any points for it.

Can you give a page reference for why an "Easily Concealed" Distinctive Feature can't be "Detectable by Common Senses"? I'm pretty sure I've seen that combination in several write-ups (official, published write-ups no less, unless I mis-remember), notably for people with uniforms (such as police or military) who can simply change clothes, but are required at times to wear very distinct outfits. I probably wouldn't allow the "Extreme Reaction" level, simply because it is Easily Concealed meaning he won't always suffer from it, but that's just me...

Ah' date=' but see here's the problem. If you allow people to be invisible to the mental group, and just add INvisibility to sight, no one will ever play a mentalist again.[/quote']

Depends on the mentalist. Also depends on if you allow the mentalist an attack roll using a 'non-targeting sense'.