Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device -- How'd I Do?

Susano

This is only the initial rough draft... my research isn't fully done (I'm trying to see what the max range for this thing is), but other than that, any input from the assembled masses? And please, be honest, for this is for science. And besides, once I post the final version, there will be cake.

119	[b]Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device:[/b]  (Total: 447 Active Cost, 119 Real Cost) 
Teleportation 100m, Area Of Effect (2m Radius; +¼), Persistent (+¼), Constant (+½), 
Ranged (+½), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½), Usable As Attack (+1 ¼) (425 Active Points); 
OAF (handheld portal device; -1), Gate (-½), Can Only Create Portals On Certain Surfaces (see text; -½), 
Requires A Seperate Attack Roll For Each Portal (see text; -½), No Noncombat movement (-¼) (Real Cost: 113)
[b]plus[/b] 
Telekinesis (10 STR), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +½) (22 Active Points); 
OAF (handheld portal device; -1), Can Only Lift Objects (cannot crush, throw, punch, and so on; -1), 
No Range (-½), Affects Whole Object (-¼) (Real Cost: 6)

5393d3540374eb64ff022756fde02ebb.png

Re: Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device -- How'd I Do?

It looks good to me. I assume that "Requires A Separate Attack Roll..." is what you're using to create two portals (in other words, one portal here, another somewhere else)? I think I might give that slightly more than -1/2.

Are you using Usable As Attack to represent something like the attacker being able to open up a portal under someone?

I don't know enough about the source material to be able to help further, but that looks good from what I can see.

Looks good. I'd agree that requiring you to have LoS to both ends is worth more than -1/2; maybe -1. Not being able to go through walls is pretty big. You could also have a limitation for the "only one pair in existence at once" thing.

I'm not sure about the Usable as Attack part. You don't actually make other things or people teleport, you just make gates. Then other things fall into the gate or not, it's up to them (and gravity). I'd use something like the gate power from USDB, with the added lims that you must establish the other side of the gate first (so one floating location?) and that also only certain surfaces can be used (GM's option which).

It looks good to me. I assume that "Requires A Separate Attack Roll..." is what you're using to create two portals (in other words, one portal here, another somewhere else)? I think I might give that slightly more than -1/2.

Are you using Usable As Attack to represent something like the attacker being able to open up a portal under someone?

I don't know enough about the source material to be able to help further, but that looks good from what I can see.

1) Yes, Requires A Separate Attack Roll represents the fact you need to create two portals to create a Gate.

2) Yes, Useable As An Attack should allow me to create portals under a target.

Looks good. I'd agree that requiring you to have LoS to both ends is worth more than -1/2; maybe -1. Not being able to go through walls is pretty big. You could also have a limitation for the "only one pair in existence at once" thing.

How about a -1 for needing two Attack Rolls? And I forgot about only being able to create on Gate at a time. That might be another -1. Except... I'm not sure you can create more than one Gate using the rules as written.

I'm not sure about the Usable as Attack part. You don't actually make other things or people teleport' date=' you just make gates. Then other things fall into the gate or not, it's up to them (and gravity). I'd use something like the gate power from USDB, with the added lims that you must establish the other side of the gate first (so one floating location?) and that also only certain surfaces can be used (GM's option which).[/quote']

Except you can create portals under, say, the Companion Cube and/or Sentry Turrets and drop them somewhere. I'm pretty sure that's Usable As Attack.

How about a -1 for needing two Attack Rolls? And I forgot about only being able to create on Gate at a time. That might be another -1. Except... I'm not sure you can create more than one Gate using the rules as written.

I don't think you can. (If by more than one you mean more than one set.)

I don't think you can. (If by more than one you mean more than one set.)

Yeah, more than one set. Now, the nice thing is, you can switch the end points of the portal/gate simply by firing a new portal location, which will cause the old one to vanish.

Except you can create portals under' date=' say, the Companion Cube and/or Sentry Turrets and drop them somewhere. I'm pretty sure that's [i']Usable As Attack[/i].

Hmm, I would have handwaved this as GM (I mean, how often are Companion Cubes laying around in real life?), but I see your point, it would likely occur often enough to warrant the advantage.

Required Hands: Two?

You know, that thing is bigger than I remembered it, I think you may be correct. The game doesn't make it seem difficult to aim or carry but it does look somewhat bulky there.

Yeah' date=' more than one set. Now, the nice thing is, you can switch the end points of the portal/gate simply by firing a new portal location, which will cause the old one to vanish.[/quote']

Oh, that's cool! I'd say special effect for that, or else covered by what you've already got.

What does the Telekinesis represent?

You can use the device to pick up objects -- like radios playing Still Alive, Companion Cubes (which will not attack you, and in fact, cannot speak), or Sentry Turrets (which don't hate you.)

I'm not sure about the Usable as Attack part. You don't actually make other things or people teleport' date=' you just make gates. Then other things fall into the gate or not, it's up to them (and gravity).[/quote']

Sounds to me like UAA, Area of Effect, and the Gate modifier. You actually need some form of UBO/UAA for anyone else to be able to take advantage of your Teleport power, since it is normally Self only.