Arabia

薔薇語

I'm not sure where would be best to post this bet thought that the people that frequent this forum would be the most likely to have relevant information; so here's to hoping. ^^

I am currently trying to look up some 'forgotten' peoples and languages of the Arabian peninsula. Something that I could hopefully blend into a origin story for a character that I'm writing up. Unfortunately, my knowledge of this area and its rather ancient (especially less well known) history is quite week. Thus I am calling out for some assistance. Anyone know of ancient peoples and languages that existed in Arabia some 3k+ years ago? In some ways I'd prefer a people that didn't speak a semetic language (afro-asiatic is fine). Anyone have any ideas? How about fictional peoples? They need not be real but a 'real' story of a group of people would also be of interest.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance. : )

la Rose.

Re: Arabia

What about the Sabeans and their neighbours? They lived in what is now Yemen, spoke Sayhadic languages (related to but distinct from Arabic and the other semitic languages - it is/was afro-asiatic though) and had a flourishing civilization with trade routes linking them with Africa, the Med - via the Nabateans, Egypt and India (probably via intermediaries). Their script, which was modified version of phoenician, went on (it is thought) to be the ancestor of Ge'ez, the Ethiopian amharic script.

cheers, Mark

As always, thank you, Markdoc. I think that group will do just fine. Offers me a real group to at least latch onto in terms of having ancient history and language. Still is a Arabic language but C'est le vie. This gives me just enough to add a bit more flavor to the character. : )

Thanks,

La Rose.

The Lost city of Ubar,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubar

A researcher looking a land sat data one day said "hum, thease look like old roads and they all go to this spot in Arbia" and the search for Ubar was on.

Ubar where you had to get your Frankincense from.

Lord Ghee

Who said "humm it that the Ubar of Tarzan fame and read the article more closely".

The interrior of the Arabian Peninsular is not known for throwing up civilizations. That's more of a coastal/riverine phenomenom. You could try going to its northern edge and the Tigris / Euphrates rivers. I think the Epic of Gilgamesh is 3000BC'ish? (IT guys have Wiki blocked, relying on memory), which would seem to be in your time period.

While the history buffs would enjoy hearing of an ancient Yemeni civilization, you'd probably get more more recognition (even if it's only a chariots/Charlton Heston type recognition) if you mention Babylon or Gilgamesh in the back history somewhere.

The interrior of the Arabian Peninsular is not known for throwing up civilizations.

Neither is the Sahara desert, but it happened.

While the history buffs would enjoy hearing of an ancient Yemeni civilization, you'd probably get more more recognition (even if it's only a chariots/Charlton Heston type recognition) if you mention Babylon or Gilgamesh in the back history somewhere.

Sadly probably true. But the Queen of Sheba would work quite well... And all that gold, frankincense and myrrh came from somewhere, and Arabia was one of the main sources of frankincense.