Emotional Rescue

Enforcer84

I'm puttering about with the concept of an empathic energy sculptor. Similar to yer Green Lantern type but using psychic energy - primarily emotional.

There are a few abilities that are unique to her powerset though and I can think of various ways to use them but I'd like opinions.

One power I'm trying to grok is the ability to soothe crowds. It's not so much a combat ability but it does make it so our hero can, say more easily evacuate a building - allowing people to calm down

Anothe version, or use, of the power would be to counteract mass fear effects or similar abilities.

Additionally, though the character's own emotions are sufficient for them to operate they get a boost from being in a highly charged event with lots of people, a great battle, a well attended sports event or concert, etc. (kind of like a psychic version of Dazzler's Sound to light conersion). Was thinking of a VPP that enhances powers/attributes No Conscious control...but could look at other builds.

Thoughts on how I might put these together would be appreciated.

Re: Emotional Rescue

Giving your character some more thought, I think your idea of a VPP that enhances powers/attributes No Conscious Control is the way to go. You could have a second add on VPP that requires 10 or more people experiencing a similar emotional response to kick in, and possibly a third VPP for over a hundred people being emotionally on board.

Question though, what if the emotion those 100 people are experiencing is fear of some villain or monster? Does the villain/monster get a power boost to make them even more frightening?

Giving your character some more thought, I think your idea of a VPP that enhances powers/attributes No Conscious Control is the way to go. You could have a second add on VPP that requires 10 or more people experiencing a similar emotional response to kick in, and possibly a third VPP for over a hundred people being emotionally on board.

Question though, what if the emotion those 100 people are experiencing is fear of some villain or monster? Does the villain/monster get a power boost to make them even more frightening?

Or does it reduce the villain from Pennywise to Ronald McDonald? I cite Stanley's visit to hell from Phil Foglio's Stanley and his Monster.

CES

Well the "emotional Energy" isn't so much amplified as her power is. She converts her own emotions to physical might as well as some Green Lantern Style energy fields (Barrier, Blast, etc.) the VPP would kind of apply to her overall abilities...she's not a psychic vampire who steals emotions or a mimic who reflects them, she channels the energy kind of like an ultra-extrovert.

Oh, when you said a VPP that enhances powers/attributes you were talking about her powers and attributes. Since you had been talking about soothing crowds and negating mass fear effects, I was thinking that her abilities had more to do with the powers and attributes of others. Well, never mind then.

You were right, actually.

Like Dazzler could turn loud noises into more powerful light bursts, Sanctuary can channel, for example, the fear of a crowd in a typical Tokyo street when Godzilla attacks into enough power to protect them from said cranky lizard.

Her power set includes the ability to (rather than use their fear for power) keep them rational enough to evacuate...

I think I may be confusing in my examples...The concept is bouncing around in my head.

• 1 year later...

*blows of dust*

well! That didn't turn out the way I had planned it at all.

I was all over the place and finally I looked back at Sanctuary's origin and powersource and decided to change most everything.

I'm still not 100% done...Debating whether or not to convert some of the Multipowers to VPPs. I also nixed the increased power due to crowds emotional state...it was too clunky whenever I tried to envision using it in game. It might make for an interesting plot device.

But I dinked around HD last night for a while and got the even 1000pts I was looking for.

SANCTUARY

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

50 STR 40 19- Lift 25.6tons; 10d6 [2]

20 DEX 20 13-

40 CON 30 17-

20 INT 10 13- PER Roll 13-

20 EGO 10 13-

30 PRE 20 15- PRE Attack: 6d6

10 OCV 35

8 DCV 25

7 OMCV 12

8 DMCV 15

5 SPD 30 Phases: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12

30 PD 18 Total: 30 PD (10 rPD)

25 ED 13 Total: 25 ED (10 rED)

15 REC 11

100 END 16

20 BODY 10

60 STUN 20 Total Characteristic Cost: 337

Movement: Running: 12m/24m

Flight: 53m/212m

Leaping: 8m/16m

Swimming: 4m/8m

Cost Powers END

108 Cosmic Light: Multipower, 108-point reserve

1f 1) Clothes Horse, Party of Four: Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (one set of clothing into any other clothing, method of healing back varies based on character), Improved Results Group (Any Clothing; +¼), Trigger (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; +¾), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +¾) (8 Active Points); Limited Target (Clothes; -½) 1

8f 2) Heaven's Gate: Blast 10d6, Area Of Effect (16 2m Areas; +1), Selective (+¼), Fixed Shape (-¼) (100 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -¼) 10

7f 3) Smiting: Blast 14d6, Alterable Origin Point (75 Active Points) 7

7f 4) The Sanctuary: Barrier 20 PD/20 ED, 20 BODY (up to 20m long, 6m tall, and 1m thick) (108 Active Points); Costs Endurance (to maintain; -½) 11

3f 5) Warmace of Unrequieted Love: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6, Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+½) (52 Active Points); Restrainable (-½), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-¼) 2

60 Empathy Suite: Multipower, 75-point reserve, (75 Active Points); all slots Unified Power (Empathy; -¼)

4f 1) Crippling Depression: Entangle 3d6, 3 PD/3 ED, Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +¼), Works Against EGO, Not STR (+¼), Takes No Damage From Physical Attacks (+¾) (67 Active Points); Mental Defense Adds To EGO (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 7

5f 2) Ecstasy Overload: Mental Blast 6d6 (Human class of minds) (60 Active Points); Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 6

3f 3) Emotion Sculpting: Major Transform 4d6 (alter, remove, or add Psychological Complications related to or reflecting emotional states, heals back normally [or through repeated applications of this power, character's choice at purchase]), Attack Versus Alternate Defense (Mental Defense; +0), Alternate Combat Value (uses OMCV against DMCV; +¼), Works Against EGO, not BODY (+¼) (60 Active Points); Limited Target (; mental "objects" pertaining to emotions in the minds of sentient beings; -½), No Range (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 6

2f 4) Empathic Healing: Simplified Healing BODY 7d6 (70 Active Points); Side Effects, (character automatically takes damage identical to damage healed; -1), Others Only (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 7

1f 5) Empathic Psychometry: Retrocognitive Clairsentience (Mental Group) (40 Active Points); Emotions Only (-1), Retrocognition Only (-1), No Range (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 4

3f 6) Inspire: Aid 4d6, Characteristics (any one emotion-related Characteristic at a time; +½), Ranged (+½) (48 Active Points); Only to Aid Others (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 5

5f 7) Instill Fear: Drain PRE 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (60 Active Points); Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 6

4f 8) True Emotion Reading: Telepathy 15d6 (75 Active Points); Empathy (any emotion) (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 7

3f 9) True Empathic Manipulation: Mind Control 12d6 (60 Active Points); Only To Alter/Inflict Emotional States (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 6

50 Mobility: Multipower, 50-point reserve

5f 1) Combat Flight: Flight 40m, Position Shift, x4 Noncombat (50 Active Points) 5

4f 2) Sonic Flight: Flight 13m, MegaScale (1m = 10,000 km; +2) (39 Active Points) 4

Cosmic Entity

12 1) Effortless Power: Reduced Endurance (½ END; +¼) (12 Active Points) applied to STR

30 2) Iron Tower of the Mind: Mental Damage Reduction, 50% 0

10 3) Iron Will: Mental Defense (10 points total) 0

20 4) Resilience: +10 ED, Hardened (+¼), Impenetrable (+¼), Resistant (+½) (20 Active Points)

20 5) Resilience: +10 PD, Hardened (+¼), Impenetrable (+¼), Resistant (+½) (20 Active Points)

10 6) Stubborn: Knockback Resistance -15m (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-½) 1

30 7) Superhuman Physiology: Life Support (Eating: Character only has to eat once per week; Extended Breathing: 1 END per 20 Minutes; Immunity All terrestrial poisons; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases; Longevity: Immortal; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in High Radiation; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Safe in Low Pressure/Vacuum; Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 8 hours per week) 0

30 8) Toughness: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% 0

15 9) Toughness: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25% 0

Empath, all slots Unified Power (Empathy; -¼)

5 1) Calm Demeanor: +15 PRE (15 Active Points); Only to Defend Against Presence Attacks or Other Fear Effects (-1), Costs Endurance (-½), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 1

8 2) Detect Emotions: Detect Emotions 13- (Mental Group), Discriminatory (10 Active Points); Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 0

16 3) Social Chameleon: +6 Interaction Skills (24 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -¼), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 2

6 4) Power Defense (20 points) (20 Active Points); Only to Defend Against Fear Effects (-2), Unified Power (Empathy; -¼) 0

Spirit of War

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

5 Fist Grab +1 +1 Grab One Limb, Block

3 Grapple -1 -1 Grab Two Limbs, 60 STR for holding on

4 Intercept +0 -2 12d6 +v/10 Strike, FMove

4 Joint Lock/Throw +1 +0 Grab One Limb; 1d6 NND ; Target Falls

3 Legsweep +2 -1 11d6 Strike, Target Falls

4 Parry +2 +2 Block, Abort

4 Root +0 +0 65 STR to resist Shove; Block, Abort

5 Strikes, Defensive +1 +3 10d6 Strike

5 Strikes, Fierce -2 +1 14d6 Strike

4 Strikes +0 +2 12d6 Strike

3 Throw +0 +1 10d6 +v/10, Target Falls

1 Weapon Element: Axes, Maces, Hammers, and Picks

1 Weapon Element: Blades

1 Weapon Element: Clubs

1 Weapon Element: Polearms and Spears

1 Weapon Element: Two-Handed Weapons

Perks

5 A Tidy Stipend: Money: Well Off

6 It's Okay, Sanctuary is here.: Positive Reputation: Popular Heroine (A large group) 14-, +2/+2d6

7 Contact: The Adaal (Cosmic Patrons) (Contact has extremely useful Skills or resources, Very Good relationship with Contact) 11-

Talents

3 Alertness: Lightsleep

9 Beauty So Rare: +3/+3d6 Striking Appearance (vs. all characters)

12 Something's Not Right: Danger Sense (self only, in combat, Function as a Sense, Intuitional) 13-

3 Voice of an Angel: Perfect Pitch

Skills

3 +1 with Martial Arts

18 +3 with all Mental Powers

3 Analyze: Combat 13-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 Charm 15-

3 Conversation 15-

3 High Society 15-

3 Interrogation 15-

3 Jack of All Trades

2 1) PS: Journalist (3 Active Points) 13-

2 2) PS: Sing (3 Active Points) 15-

2 3) PS: Writer (3 Active Points) 13-

3 Oratory 15-

3 Paramedics 13-

3 Persuasion 15-

3 Scholar

2 1) KS: Cleveland Sports (3 Active Points) 13-

1 2) KS: Football (American) (2 Active Points) 11-

2 3) KS: Musical Theater (3 Active Points) 13-

1 4) KS: The Superhuman World (2 Active Points) 11-

3 Tactics 13-

3 Teamwork 13-

2 WF: Common Melee Weapons

Total Powers & Skill Cost: 663

Total Cost: 1000

400+ Matching Complications

10 Enraged: When encounters abusive behavior (Common), go 8-, recover 14-

10 Hunted: Discord Infrequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

20 Hunted: The Adaal Frequently (Mo Pow; NCI; PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find; Watching)

20 Psychological Complication: Defender of the Innocent (Common; Total)

15 Social Complication: Secret Identity Frequently, Major

600 Experience Points

Total Complications Points: 1000

Background/History:

Personality/Motivation: Sanctuary is down to earth and feisty. She isn't sure she was the best choice for the Adaal's guardian, but she wouldn't give up the power and freedom she's been given.

Though she will never forget her past, she is no longer haunted by it and has done something of a 180 turn, seeking to live life loudly. She's more willing to draw attention to herself and stick her neck out in her normal identity.

As sanctuary she affects a more "noble" front, taking her cue from comic books, movies, and games - though occasionally her impish excitability shows through.

Quote: "Do you see this tiara? It says "I'm in charge;" so get into the Sanctuary and keep yourselves safe!"

Powers/Tactics: Transformed by the Adaal into a super weapon, Sanctuary subconsciously adapted her cosmic powers to the images from her favorite video games, books, movies, etc. Sanctuary is one part Angel, one part Fantasy Priest, and one part Red Sonja: Firstly, her body was transformed into a superhuman specimen, capable of withstanding and inflicting a great deal of punishment; secondly, her nascent empathic powers have been boosted to actual superpower levels; finally, she can wield pure cosmic energy which she uses to fly, fire blasts of energy, summon her weapon, and most impressively summon the Sanctuary from where she gets her name: A translucent purple tower 6 meters tall and 20 meters in circumference.

In addition her fighting style was developed for her and programmed into her body by the Adaal, as was the ability to alter her form in small ways.

Campaign Use:

Appearance: Sanctuary has two forms, though her powers do not depend on the transformation, nor does she revert if she's knocked unconscious. Her true form is an idealized version of her original body, a bit taller, more symmetrical, more athletic, and more attractive. She normally has blond hair and blue eyes, but she changes her hair color and style periodically to suit her moods - the transformation takes roughly 24 hours.

As Sanctuary she's more the image of a warrior angel, close to 6 feet tall with long red hair and violet eyes. She wears a white and gold costume that is fairly daring with a high collar but a "cleavage window" (if you got it...) no sleeves and cut to show her legs. She wears white thigh-high boots with purple trim. Her accessories include a golden tiara, gold arm bands, white gauntlets, and a purple sash at her waist with a purple stone set in silver.

The cosmic energy she controls generally manifests as a purple-white light, her "Warmace" is a manifestation of her powers and appears as an ornate metallic weapon of silver with a faceted Amethyst set in the center and glows with a darker light than her energy beams. When she uses her empathic abilities her eyes take a slight purple glow. When she uses her Empathic Healing translucent purple wings appear behind her along with a circle of runes.