Champions Villains for 6th - help me decide.

Boll Weevil

The Champions Villains for 6th are here (HD packs, PDF's and one in hardcopy)!! As I mentioned in another thread, this will be the 4th (some more for those in Ultimate books) time I have bought many of the character write-ups. I bought Enemies I, II and III, Classic Enemies and CKC. I must admit, the new style of the books since Book of the Machine is pleasing to the eye and I look forward to seeing the 6th ed updates. I could have all the characters in HD format right now or pay a little more for all three PDF's. Or I could wait and pay even more for the books.

First question: Is there a complete list of the characters included in each of the three books?

Second, how is the art? The appeal of the hardcopy books is the beautiful visual style. If the art is recycled or not as good as previous I am not really interested. This is just personal style preference, but I strongly dislike anime or animated-series, Bruce Timm or similar art. Tell me there is more Storn Cook, Andrew Cremeans, Chris Stevens etc I will buy the books in a heartbeat.

Third, are ANY of the backgrounds different than 5th ed or significantly added to? If the art is recycled and/or the backgrounds haven't changed, I think I will just get the HD files and be happy knowing I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

BW

Re: Champions Villains for 6th - help me decide.

The Champions Villains for 6th are here (HD packs, PDF's and one in hardcopy)!! As I mentioned in another thread, this will be the 4th (some more for those in Ultimate books) time I have bought many of the character write-ups. I bought Enemies I, II and III, Classic Enemies and CKC. I must admit, the new style of the books since Book of the Machine is pleasing to the eye and I look forward to seeing the 6th ed updates. I could have all the characters in HD format right now or pay a little more for all three PDF's. Or I could wait and pay even more for the books.

First question: Is there a complete list of the characters included in each of the three books?

Second, how is the art? The appeal of the hardcopy books is the beautiful visual style. If the art is recycled or not as good as previous I am not really interested. This is just personal style preference, but I strongly dislike anime or animated-series, Bruce Timm or similar art. Tell me there is more Storn Cook, Andrew Cremeans, Chris Stevens etc I will buy the books in a heartbeat.

Third, are ANY of the backgrounds different than 5th ed or significantly added to? If the art is recycled and/or the backgrounds haven't changed, I think I will just get the HD files and be happy knowing I didn't miss anything.

Thanks!

BW

I have the Master Villains book. I'd say most of the artwork is of a style you'd like based on what you wrote....a few were the "animated" style and not quite as good, but most were of high art quality. The backgrounds were similiar to the 5th ed ones with updates in the time frame(more stuff has happened) and to account for stuff that related to the MMO. Hope that helps. For the record...I liked the book. Can't comment on the other two as I don't have them yet.

Got the PDF of Villains (solo) and I reiterate what he says. The "Animated style" which I don't mind at all but really jars next to the other styles present is only for maybe 5 or six of the dozens of characters.

In color, backgrounds are good. There's a bit of a business to it...to keep the page count down, but I didn't see it as a rehash of the 5th edition stuff. The art was not recycled in any case that I can recall...but in at least a few that's too bad. :)

There is an index in each of the three books as I have all three of them.

There is only one piece of recycled art and that is Pantera. If you followed Storn's thread you would know it from there.

Storn was allowed to do a complete team ie Eurostar and there are other examples of his work in all three books.

Like you I have old Enemies books from each of the different eras of Champions. And the artwork being in colour is a major improvement on the 5th edition book.

Would you say there are a lot of new (non-5th ed) villains, a few, or none at all? I do like the new format of the books, but I'd like to see some new stuff. I'm also not a huge fan of the Champions setting. Steve Long is perfect for the "crunchy" stuff, the how's, the why's, and the how many's... Original, creative stories, not so much.

well I can't claim to have all 5th edition stuff...

but there seemed to be between 30-40 villains in the solo book that were either unknown to me or who were mentioned but never before statted out. Several of the villains mentioned in the Until Super Powers Database.