Dude, Where's My Country?

Nightfly

Well lets discuss the old I come from odoboravia thing.

What do you do when a character wants to be from some ficticious country?

I've been doodling for some time, and sometimes I just rename different countries like The Netherlands became the Republic of the North Sea, or how I turned an area of land on the borders of F.Y.R.O.M, Greece, and Albania into the war torn contry The B.F.S (Balkan Free State).

But then again creating your own country in the middle of No where can help as well, I've found its easy to do in pacific Ocean as its just so darn big.

One of my new characters for a FTF game (Called, Icon- who is a non brooding Batman figure with a spea) Comes from the Pacific nation of Paitara... It's major expolit( before Icon industrialised it) was bread fruit and fish.

what are your thoughts on the subject?

Or for that matter what would happen if Doc D got high and mislaid Canada or something?

Originally posted by Rage

what are your thoughts on the subject?

Or for that matter what would happen if Doc D got high and mislaid Canada or something?

Well, personally I created a "laundry list" of ficticious countries. It suited my desires for there to be a number of small but rich warring countries in my current campaign, but I have this thing about pulling stuff like this from an inconvenient orifice. So I plotted out several "postage stamp" countries so the players would have wars to fight for money if they chose to do so.

As a personal conceit, I stole most of the names from other fictional sources. So there is a Latervia, Markovia, Slovenkia, and such.

Originally posted by Rage

Depends on how large this country has to be. There's plenty of room in Europe for small countries due to tradition like Monoco or all the recent breakups of larger countries.

One can always wedge something into Africa or parts of Asia. Like you said, the Pacific is a great spot to put an island kingdom, some which have only recently been visited by the outside world.

Damn, I need to get a decent map of the world and redesign. I've got lots of changes to make for mine.

Originally posted by Agent X

I think he made a push button error. I'm sure he knows it would be better on NGD.

I guess I shouldn't have been sure.

As to fictional countries: I've created a Southeast Asian Island kingdom and a small nation in the Alps bordering Switzerland and Germany.