Creating a Linked power... need some advice

frogboy7

Hey all, im creating a power armored villain. One of his powers is that he can "ball up" and roll, moving faster and doing damage as he goes. Also when he does this i though that it would be cool if he were simi-invincible. Think something like sonic the hedgehog crossed with transformers. But heres the problem... ive read the listings for all the involved powers, and such but am a little confused as to how i would pull this off. Heres what i've done thus far but im almost positive i've screwed my bad guy in some way :confused:

Battle Roll: HA+4d6; Area of Effect (Trail; +1), Hand-to-Hand Attack (-1/4), OIF (armor; -1/2), Linked (-1/4), plus Running +20m; OIF (-1/2), Linked (-1/2), plus Physical & Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%; OIF (-1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Linked (-1/2).

By my math thats a cost of 54pts, and 10 END. PLEASE! let me know if ive made a mistake in this power or if anyone knows of a better way. Thanks in advance :)

Re: Creating a Linked power... need some advice

use Resistant Defense (AKA Armor in 5er) instead of Damage Reduction. around 10 PD (and ED)should be enough to be pretty darned "invulnerable". This assumes that you have OK defenses.

To save more points you could make the additional PD and ED non resistant (by buying PD and ED characteristic, linked to the running). If your character already has 20rPD and ED, piling on more resistant defenses isn't that significant for most campaigns and can save a bunch of points.

Effectively you are trying to protect yourself while doing a move through. You could simply purchase added defence and movement (only while moving through). You might want to do it as move-by instead as it means you get to move the path you intend even if you do not knock targets back or to the side...

I like the idea of the move through and if you cannot knock back or knock down then the movement comes to an end.

You might also want to look at whether you simply do an area effect attack with a linked teleport, the bashing into things and invicibility are all part of the special effects of the attack....

Doc

Deja Game: I've fought this boss before.

The HA is a little low key for my tastes (I'm a KA kinda guy, what can I say?) but you've got the gist of it. In turn, there's no "wrong" way to build this -- the 50% DR is a perfectly valid way of doing it. You may also want to build in a limitation-as-side-effect so that when he stops, he becomes more vulnerable/that's when to hit him, that kind of thing.

But... I thought AOE: Trail was there to handle TRON bikes, and Speedster "Walls" and such. Am I misremembering? That happens. I'm not about to question it, but I'm just saying. Trail does assume a "wall" that follows behind the creator which deals damage to those in the wall, yes?

But... I thought AOE: Trail was there to handle TRON bikes' date=' and Speedster "Walls" and such. Am I misremembering? That happens. I'm not about to question it, but I'm just saying. Trail does assume a "wall" that follows behind the creator which deals damage to those in the wall, yes?[/quote']

AOE Trail is just a speedster specific variant of AOE that allows the character to attack a series of hexes as they move through them. The primary benefit is the reduction of the targeted DCV per normal AOE rules. It does not leave any 'lingering' effects like a TRON lightcycle. That type of effect would require a separate linked build.