Spirit Companion

IndianaJoe3

As a design exercise, I'm adapting the shaman from D&D 4e to Hero. I'm having some trouble with the, "Spirit Companion" class feature.* Summon doesn't work well because the spirit has no abilities of its own. Focus isn't appropriate because the spirit can't be taken away, and Only In Alternate Identity won't work because the shaman only has one identity. Calling the spirit the SFX of Indirect doesn't work because the spirit is only as mobile as the caster unless dismissed and re-summoned. Physical Manifestation is a good fit conceptually, but would require a large amount of hand-waving to work in practice.

Anyone have any other ideas?

*For those who don't have the 4e PHB2, the spirit companion is a focal point for the shaman's spells. It is a summoned being that can be moved about the battlefield by the shaman, and attacked by enemies. It has no powers of its own. Some of the shaman's powers originate from the spirit companion.

Re: Spirit Companion

As I recall, the Spirit Companion could attack on its own, and conferred some DCV (AC) to adjacent allies. Which, to me, gives it some abilities - I would actually use a Summon, with some Physical Limitations based on it only being able to move at the Casters Direction, and a requirement that it have the same DEX/SPD as the Caster as well.

As I recall' date=' the Spirit Companion could attack on its own, and conferred some DCV (AC) to adjacent allies. Which, to me, gives it some abilities - I would actually use a Summon, with some Physical Limitations based on it only being able to move at the Casters Direction, and a requirement that it have the same DEX/SPD as the Caster as well.[/quote']

There are some opportunity actions the shaman can take that operate through the spirit that have the SFX of the spirit taking the action, but the spirit still can't initiate anything.

Rather than extra limb with stretching, I'd go for naked advantage indirect, with the limitation "must originate/affect from spirit companion": I'd rate the whole indirect aspect at +1/4, since it always originates form the spirit companion, but the spirit companion can be anywhere within range. The same mostly goes for other powers as well: I'd ignore summon. The spirit isn't a seperate being in any useful way - it mostly operates as a focus and a limitation on some of the caster's powers.

cheers, Mark

IMO the Spirit Companion class feature from the 4E Shaman class is not a distinct Follower. Instead, it's a specific Power, which Power is determined by whichever form of Companion Spirit the character chooses.

Companion Spirit

As part of your initiation as a shaman, you acquired a spirit companion, an animal spirit that accompanies and assists you. Many shaman powers have the spirit keyword (PHB 2, page 220). Your spirit companion must be present when you use such a power.

You gain the call spirit companion power, which allows you to call your spirit companion to your side.

In addition, choose one of the following Companion Spirit options. Your choice provides you with a Spirit Boon as well as a special attack made through your spirit companion, and your choice determines one of your at-will attack powers. Your choice also provides bonuses to certain shaman powers, as detailed in those powers.

Protector Spirit

You draw on the strength of the bear or a similar protective spirit to defend and bolster your allies.

Spirit Boon: Any ally adjacent to your spirit companion regains additional hit points equal to your Constitution modifier when he or she uses second wind or when you use a healing power on him or her.

This is an Aid to REC for all nearby allies.

Stalker Spirit

You call on the stealth and cunning of the panther or a similar stalking spirit to empower and position your allies.

Spirit Boon: Any ally adjacent to your spirit companion gains a bonus to damage rolls against bloodied enemies equal to your Intelligence modifier.

This one's a little trickier. Your best bet is to make it an Aid to STR for all nearby allies, with the limitation that the extra STR is only for doing extra damage.

Both of these Aids are best modeled as Area Of Effect (2m Radius), Selective, Mobile, so you can move them around the battlefield.

The Call Spirit Companion power says:

You conjure your spirit companion in an unoccupied square in the burst (i.e., some square within five of the one your character is in). The spirit lasts until you fall unconscious or until you dismiss it as a minor action. The spirit occupies 1 square. Enemies cannot move through its space, but allies can. When you take a move action, you can also move the spirit a number of squares equal to your speed.

The spirit can be targeted by melee or ranged attacks, although it lacks hit points. If a single melee or ranged attack deals damage to the spirit equal to 10 + one-half your level or higher, the spirit disappears, and you take damage equal to 5 + one-half your level. Otherwise, the spirit is unaffected by the attack.

So, the modifiers granted by whatever power the Spirit Companion becomes are Nonpersistent, Physical Manifestation, and some form of Feedback (so you take damage when the spirit is hit.) Since you get the spirit back at-will at the start of any Phase that it isn't in existence, it should be a 0 END power.

Both of these Aids are best modeled as Area Of Effect (2m Radius)' date=' Selective, Mobile, so you can move them around the battlefield.[/quote']

The problem with a Mobile AoE is that moving it requires an Attack Action, instead of a Half-Phase (Move) Action.

I'm still leaning towards an Extra Limb/Stretching combo. Here's what I'm working with right now.

Call Spirit Companion: (Total: 57 Active Cost, 23 Real Cost) Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Nonpersistent (-1/4), Extra Time (1/2 Phase to Activate; -1/4), Limited Manipulation (-1/4), Unified Power (Call Spirit Companion; -1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Stretching 30m, Does Not Cross Intervening Space (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (52 Active Points); Limited Mobility (12m/Phase; -1/2), Limited Body Parts (Extra Limb Only; -1/4), no Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4), Unified Power (Call Spirit Companion; -1/4) (Real Cost: 21)

The shaman can summon the spirit at any point within 30m, but only move it 12m/Phase thereafter (unless he dismisses and resummons it, which takes a Half Phase). The shaman can make melee-range attacks against targets adjacent to the spirit. An attack that would damage the spirit damages the shaman because, from a game mechanics standpoint, it's part of him.