Eclipse Phase conversions to Hero

Steve

From the Eclipse Phase website:

"Eclipse Phase is a pen & paper roleplaying game of post-apocalyptic transhuman conspiracy and horror.

An "eclipse phase" is the period between when a cell is infected by a virus and when the virus appears within the cell and transforms it. During this period, the cell does not appear to be infected, but it is.

Players take part in a cross-faction secret network dubbed Firewall that is dedicated to counteracting "existential risks" — threats to the existence of transhumanity, whether they be biowar plagues, self-replicating nanoswarms, nuclear proliferation, terrorists with WMDs, net-breaking computer attacks, rogue AIs, alien encounters, or anything else that could drive an already decimated transhumanity to extinction."

Characters in this setting have a form of immortality by making backup copies of their minds (what the game calls the Ego) that can be downloaded into new bodies (what the game calls Morphs). However, while this backup can be made as recently as the moment of death by means of a cybernetic implant, it can alse be days or weeks out of date.

I'm thinking of converting the character creation rules by using spirits from Hero for the characters, and then having standard packages for the Morphs.

Re: Eclipse Phase conversions to Hero

Could be interesting.

How do you see forking being handled?

Before anybody else gets ideas, EC's "forking" is basically where a copy is made of a character's ego for download. Sometimes, it is done without the original's consent for nefarious purposes (VERY illegal). Oftimes, a character might do it voluntarily - basically be in two (or more!) places at once, or to direct a remote in a high-risk situation, etc..

I've played Eclipse Phase. I think that translating it into HERO is the right move and am very interested in your results. I would build each PC as a computer (AI with EGO score) and each morph as a vehicle. That way you can change from one body to another, and bodies are fairly disposable.

The two most important setting issues to me are (i.e. things you want to be on the same page as your players)

Forking: Some places (anarchs, outer rim) are cool with multiple forks. Or rather, have no reason not to be cool with it. Players will want to do it unless you tell them running multiple alpha forks won't be happening for NPCs either.

Cornicopia Machines: Figure out what they can and can't do. How closely can they replicate stuff? Do PCs have access to them? Is gear bought with "energy" or super heroically?

I could fire up a wiki or google site and we could start posting all of this in a structured fashion right along side the core material. It's all available under CC and as long as we provide attribution we could do it pretty plainly, much like http://www.firewall-darkcast.com/. Anyone interested?

I think that characters (the Ego portion) could be easily built as AIs since they are functionally equivalent as far as Hero mechanics go. As for morphs, I was picturing them as being constructed using standard character rules, only with zeroes for INT and EGO.

As for forking, I'm inclined to make that a special effect of the campaign and not cost points. But I'm not sure how to handle merging forks. Maybe as a possible explanation for spending XPs to gain new skills?

One way I would create morphs would be to mine Kazei Five for source materials. For example, I would base a Fury morph off of a Puma replicant, strip off the skills and other abilities that aren't somehow inherent to the physical form and finish by modifying the complications to better reflect a Fury.

I think that characters (the Ego portion) could be easily built as AIs since they are functionally equivalent as far as Hero mechanics go. As for morphs, I was picturing them as being constructed using standard character rules, only with zeroes for INT and EGO.

As for forking, I'm inclined to make that a special effect of the campaign and not cost points. But I'm not sure how to handle merging forks. Maybe as a possible explanation for spending XPs to gain new skills?

You can use psychic implant power from the powers book to implant new skills/memories when the forks are put back together.

CES

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thank you. I intend to. Just ran an EP adventure to get the hang of things, test some builds. I have some ideas and am running an event on 5/14 so I will be working towards that. I think I am going to do the morphs as Package Deals built with lists in HeroDesigner. I can then apply a .2 cost multiplier to the list and treat it like a vehicle/multiform. I think that is the simplest way that approximates "resleeving". In one of the adventures the characters resleeve in the middle of the adventure. If I build things in this way, I can just delete one list, add the new morph (list) and print a new sheet. Simple.

In other words, an Automaton.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes, almost by definition

That doesn't quite work out. I've built a couple of characters and if you are trying to capture how EP works, your Ego still has STR (and arguably CON) as well as some other non-AI/Automaton traits. Additionally, Morphs also have mental traits, so that doesn't work all that well either.

It is true that the majority of physical stats comes from the morph and the majority of mental stats comes from the ego. So far the easiest way to do this is to buy down all of the physical traits to 0-5 and then have morphs provide the standard base or more (10-20) and do the opposite with mental stats. If you do the morphs as package deals, you can easily add/remove morphs from a character to create different combinations, and the ability to do that quickly and easily, with everything calculating out the way it should (skills, etc.) I think is very important. Having an Automaton sheet and a separate morph sheet would be clumsy.

Overlays, very basically. You have the "core" stuff (the character's ego), and the rest is just plug-ins.

For some reason, I have this vivid mental picture of posthumans enthusastically salvaging, restoring and "pimping out" morphs; much as people do today with vehicles of all kinds. Yeah, I KNOW that ain't EP, but it is still funny as hell to imagine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, I've started. I've roughed out my conversion guidelines and have started putting it all together. I think it's going to work out very nicely.

http://www.legendsmiths.com/eclipse-phase

As one of his players, I can tell you that it worked out very well. That game was the kick in the pants I needed to continue learning the Hero system. Thanks Shane!