Invisibility and Radios

quozaxx

A character has invisibility to Hearing (and Sight) groups.

He has a radio to talk to his follower. (Mind Link based on Radio and Hearing Group)

Can he talk to his follower via a his radio without turning off his Invisibility?

Some players say yes.

Some players say no.

Re: Invisibility and Radios

He has a radio to talk to his follower. (Mind Link based on Radio and Hearing Group)

Can he talk to his follower via a his radio without turning off his Invisibility?

As the GM, how do you want it to work? :) I'd rule that if the character voluntarily makes noise (speaking, ringing a bell, etc), it's not covered by Invisibility. However, the character doesn't need to turn the power off to do so.

Some players say yes.

Some players say no.

Does the Invisibility have a Fringe? If so, he should be fine, as he's inside the Fringe.

If no Fringe, then to me it may depend upon the special effects. For instance, if he has an armored battlesuit that has a chameleon covering and a white noise generator to dampen any noise he makes, I wouldn't think that would affect him talking on the radio *inside* the battlesuit. If it's a light and sound suppression field he is generating himself, I might allow him a Power skill roll to extend the field far enough away from his head to allow him to use the radio unimpeded. If he fails the roll, no talkies on the radio.

Basically, though, he did get the Limitation on the Mind Link, so I could see the meta-game argument for not allowing the radio use while Invisible to Hearing.

If I were the GM I would base the answer on the special effect of both powers, but in general unless there was something blatant I would let him use both powers at the same time. If the character spent the points and didn't take a limitation then the default position should be to give them the benifit of the doubt. Lets assume the radio has a throat mike so he can whisper and still be heard, and whatever special effect masks the other noises he makes could certainly mask that as well. But again, its probably about the specific special effects.

Using a perceivable power can expose an Invisible character’s position.

So, is the Mind Link a perceivable power? If so, it could give away his position despite the Invisibility to Hearing Group.

If not, I'd say he's fine.

I would probably allow the player to redesign his powers to allow for what he wants here though, unless the radio isn't part of his normal equipment.