To Get or Not to Get That Is The Question

Well of course you are coming to a place where people are a bit biased

BUT

The hero system is the greatest RPG of all time, not hyperbolie, simple truth

The system does what GURPS wants to do, just better

The biggest issue with the system is that character creation is on the long side, and as a point based system it is suseptible to Min-Maxing

The Hero system can pretty much do any type of game you want, but you will need to put the work in at the begening to set up the world. The book is just the rules.

I would also suggest if you are going to be running picking up the appropriate Genre book (Fantasy, Champions/Super Heroes, Star Hero/Sci-Fi, Ninja/Martial Arts) and maybe a setting book (Champions Universe or Terrian Empire) I beleive a fantasy setting is do out soon and a second Sci-Fi setting

Champions provides you with lots of versatility in design and is, in many ways, the easiest to prepare for. Star Hero and Terran Empire would be a handy way to go if you really enjoyed Alternity, some have remarked that Alternity was heavily influenced by Hero though I wouldn't know firsthand. I would not recommend Fantasy Hero as your first jump in unless you have plenty of time to prepare. The FH genre book is HUGE.

What finally got me to go and buy was a review on a RPG site. I had played Hero 10 years ago but a good review of Fantasy Hero got the wheels rolling. Just be honest with yourself as to what you are looking for. When a reviewer says that Fantasy Hero needs a lot of preparation, that is a big plus for me where it is not so great for others. If your not sure what you are looking for, then Hero is perfect too.

If you do get into Hero I have to recommend Hero Designer (from the online store). The biggest drawback to Hero you will hear is the math, Hero Designer solves that and makes character creation a breeze.

The HERO System was originally created for Champions, so if as a newbie you don't know what you really want to do with HERO, I'd suggest that. If you find the math intimidating or think your players will, also get the UNTIL Superpowers Database, which is filled with many premade superpowers. If you want a premade superhero world, there's Champions Universe, too. -- Pteryx, who'd like a chance to play Champions, herself...

I think that you will have enough of a challenge using the rules for the first time, so I would reccomend that you run the genre that you and your players are most comfortable with.

Start off small and work your way up. By that I mean, don't design characters which are too complicated or have powers which might unbalance the game. (Telepathy in a cop campaign is never good news)

Don't introduce too many rules concepts until you have a good handle on the basics. make sure that you and your players understand how to attack, block and apply defences before you start with optional rules like bleeding and impairing.

Have fun and if you have any questions don't be shy.

Chicken9999999

I would suggest, based on what has been said so far the following books:

Hero 5th Edition Rules (The Core book, sometimes called Fred)

This is the only book that is needed, what follows would be useful for a starting GM

Hero System Bestiary

Fantasy Hero

Fantasy Hero Grimoriome (In final production)

There is also an enemies book in Playtesting right now for a Fantasy book of Enemies/Monsters (IIRC)

Or if you decided to go with Star Hero instead I would suggest:

Hero System Beastiary

Star Hero

Spacer's Tool Kit

and if you like the bit on the back Terrian Empire

A different setting book called "Alien Wars" just entered playtesting as well

Oh yeah, another piece of advice from a novice HERO gm... don't be too suprised if the first few fights your group is either too strong, or seems to weak against opponents. I've found this to be one of the trickier bits. Personally I see it as another form of black magic all it's own, tied into character creation etc all. :)

Edit: Of course I didn't have Bestiary.. that'd help, and so would the 3M book of baddies as well. Benchmarks.. yeah that's the ticket!

To the original poster - why are you thinking of getting HERO? Perhaps we could advise you even better if we knew that. If it's just general curiousity, the answers here are pretty helpful "as is", but I'm curious if you have a particular agenda and/or if you like particular "types" of game systems and part of your question relates to that?

• 2 months later...
I think Steve must have done a Summon with Slavishly Loyal on this poor dude.

First, I dispute the use of the adjective "poor." I think a more appropriate term would be "lucky to be entering the Wondrous Worlds o' Hero." :)

Second, while my powers are many and varied, Summon Customers is not among them. :( If it were, I would be driving a sportscar, all Hero's books would be printed in full color, and our company retreats would be held in Aruba besides James Bond movie-style pools. ;)

Or perhaps I should say, if I do have Summon Customers as a power, it has way too many Limitations for my taste. ;)

You need more experience

Originally posted by Steve Long

Or perhaps I should say, if I do have Summon Customers as a power, it has way too many Limitations for my taste. ;)

Perhaps you can buy the limitations off as you gain experience. Perhaps you should learn kung-fu, wander the country for a year, you know, gettin' into adventures and stuff. Hey, if it will work for Sam Jackson in Pulp Fiction I see no reason for it to not work for you. Once you've attained say 30 "eeps" you should be able to buy at least 6 of those x2 multipliers! That will up your growth rate 128 fold!

Also you may want to get rid of slavishly loyal. Look at how the D&D crowd moans on an on about that product ... and yet they keep on buying it!

Also, perhaps Summon is too expensive and not appropriate for what you want your character to achieve. I suggest looking at the various mental abilities and trying to come up with some sort of commercial charm power. You may be going about it the hard way trying to summon customers when all you really need is their money. Summon money might be better since the loyalty of money isn't an issue once it's in your wallet. I mean what's Washington going to do, glare at you from the dollar bill?

At the next Gencon might I suggest hiring minions, chaining the doors and taking 25,000 hostages until your truck load of gaming material has been sold. I know a certain Serpentine group that could assist in this...