The Fad-man strikes!

FenrisUlf

HI all,

Looking at the main Champs rulebook, I found myself wondering about 'fad heroes' and their powers, especially if you updated them to the present. Just what amoounts to a 'fad' right now, and roughly what sort of powers would they have? (Keeping in mind that such heroes tend to be on the comical side...)

For instance -- what would 'The Amazing Goth' be like?

"Fads" I've used/seen used in games:

I used a villain named "Bass" with vibration/sonic powers - got fried by experimental super-amplifier/subwoofer and absorbed its powers...penetrating EB's and such.

Ran into an "Arcade" type villain that used robotic 'Pokemon' monsters on us.

Other ideas:

Hero/Villain team set up along 'Boy Band' lines.

Anything from the various card-game crazes.

"Incredibly Pierced Guy" Hey hey hey...it's PRIIIIIINCE Albert! Bah da dwon ba da dwon...and we're gonna **** our ****** for you...And we're gonna show you a thing or twooo...Come join da fun now with me and all da gang....learning from each other while we do our thanggg...naahh..naaah..naah..have a good time..hey..hey..hey...

Re: The Fad-man strikes!

Originally posted by FenrisUlf

For instance -- what would 'The Amazing Goth' be like?

'hHmmph, if you're really Goth, where were you when we sacked Rome?" :)

Seriously, I don't keep up with fads so I couldn't tell you which ones were current. I think the secret is to find something universal within a fad, so when the fad fades, the hero might have something to fall back on.

A Superfad Goth type might start out smoking clove cigaerettes and spouting dark poetry, perhaps his powers are related to causing apparent apathy, or sorrow. Even if Goth Guy decides the fad is over, he can still hold fast to some aspects of angst etc :)

Another suggestion is massive use of Transforms and Change enviroments. You're only out of fashion if you're alone, right? Someone on these boards once mentioned a super hero who was the living incarnation of the 80s. Tech that came after 1990 was adjusted, women's fashions changed in his presence...that sort of thing.

That could apply to any Fad villain or hero.

Imagine your PC's horrors when they must fight "The Amazing Disco Godfather" and find the boots on their costumes turning to stacks and the urge to dance to the Bee Gees.

I played in a campaign that had a villain called The Phantom Menace/Pokemaster. He changed his name with whatever fad was hot at the time. As the Pokemaster, he had a 'Poke-Ball' that induced siezures.

Some of my own Fad styled characters:

Ravenstorm: A Goth with a minor super stats that had everyone convinced he was a real vampire.

Headrush: Inspired by Mountain Dew ads, an 'extreme' athlete who gains heightened strength, reflexes and invulnerability after ingesting caffine.

One of the historical teams from the 80s in my campaign were all based on fads. They are in the flavor of the Lame JLA of the 80s. They were called the Starwarriors, which of course caused Lucasfilm to sue and get a restraining order barring the team for using the name. The members were Material Girl, Dayglo, Joystick, Breakdance and Mohawk.

Originally posted by Enforcer84

The Thugz

Some guy with a super powered Cell Phone

some fads don't equate to heroes but what about the Reality Superhero shows that have popped up in Millenium CIty and an actual comic called WildForce.

The comic is actually called WildGuard...

Funny you should mention Supers Reality Show, as I am currently running on as a side campaign along with my regular campaign. My players have been enjoying it so far.