In need of your help and guidance: Power Question

Tin_Foil

Howdy all. I'm working on a character that has charges to boost his strength by taking a pill/potion. I've been reading and searching for a while now, but I can't seem to get the point total to come out correctly. Here's what I have so far:

STR Pill: +20 STR (20 Active Points); 4 charges (-1), IAF (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristics)

I'm using Hero Designer 1.47 and it ends up costing me a whopping -6 points. The point cost changes, for some reason, whenever I raise/lower my actual Strength cost on the Characteristics screen. If I unclick the "Add Modifiers to Base Characterestics" check box, it ends up costing 7 points.

Another question/problem I'm having is I'd like the effects to last for 20 mins, but to my understanding, when you use a "charge" of something, it only last until the end of the phase. Any help/insight in this matter would be greatly appreachated.

Since this is a "how to" and not a rules question, I've moved it.

What ideas do you have, Herodom Assembled? I suggest the following:

1. Re: problems you're having with Hero Designer, post a question on the HD board and someone will set you straight.

2. Re: the lasting Charges, look at the "Continuing Charges" option on 5E 182-83.

As far as HD issues, I have no idea.

As far as the basic design, I've done an "Hourman" clone similarly. Extra stats w/continuing charges lasting 1 hour, IIF Miraclo Pills (went w/IIF since could not "take it away" from him once power started, even though could interfere with pill taking), gestures (can't get to pill/put it in mouth if hands restrained). Worked out pretty well.

I, personally, would do something like ...

10d6 Aid, Standard Effect (30 points) to STR, return rate 5pts/20 minute, Self Only, 4 charges, (Pillbox Focus), gestures (must swallow pill).

It makes more sense to me (though it's a LOT pricier), since the continuous charges require some way to deactivate them (a stun or knockout, maybe?), and the Aid will just, y'know, be there. This will last at full effect for 20 minutes, then fade (you could possibly put another limitation that it all fades at once?), which is pretty close to what you wanted.

Re: In need of your help and guidance: Power Question

Originally posted by Tin_Foil

STR Pill: +20 STR (20 Active Points); 4 charges (-1), IAF (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4) (Modifiers affect Base Characteristics)

I'm using Hero Designer 1.47 and it ends up costing me a whopping -6 points. The point cost changes, for some reason, whenever I raise/lower my actual Strength cost on the Characteristics screen. If I unclick the "Add Modifiers to Base Characterestics" check box, it ends up costing 7 points.

Another question/problem I'm having is I'd like the effects to last for 20 mins, but to my understanding, when you use a "charge" of something, it only last until the end of the phase. Any help/insight in this matter would be greatly appreachated.

First, you correctly pinpointed the problem with the cost of the Power; unless you uncheck the "Add Modifiers To Base Characteristics" box, then it's adding all those limitations to your NORMAL Strength, as well. Since you don't have any Advantages listed there, this will give you points *back* since your normal Strength will end up costing less.

As far as how long the Charge lasts, you have two options:

1) Continuing Charges. They are less of a limitation the longer they last, and you must define a reasonably common or obvious way to turn them off. Once turned off, the charge is considered expended, even if there was still time remaining. As a side note, for a "strength pill", I'd have a hard time picturing a "reasonably obvious" way to let someone *else* cause it to turn off!

2) Fuel Charges. Like Continuing Charges, they are worth less of a Limitation the longer they last, but they have some *terrific* good points. First, you can turn them on and off at will, using the Charge only when you need it. If you have a Continuing Fuel Charge that lasts 1 minute, you get one minute total use out of it, even if you break that up into 20 3-second spurts. Second, you get a *lot* of "bang for your buck". For instance, if you have one that lasts 1 minute, that's actually *60* phases of use! So if you're a Speed 12 character, that's five full Turns; if you're a Speed 4 character, that's *fifteen* full Turns! (You only use the Fuel Charge on *your* active phases.)

Re: In need of your help and guidance: Power Question

By leaving "Modifiers affect base characteristics" checked, your are applying all the limits to your regular strength score as well as the boosed score. Since you get a certain amount of Str for "free" Herodesigner compensates by pushing the cost of this power into the negatives. THis checkbox is mainly intended for characters that have Hardened defences or advanages on their Strength.

According to my math, 7 points is what this power ought to cost, so unchecking the "add modifers" box is working the way it ought to.

You need a Continuing Charge. FREd P.182, last paragraph in the right column.

I don't think the Fuel Charge makes any sense at all. How's the character going to save the rest for later? By regurgitating it? I guess maybe if he just held it under his tongue and it slowly disolved over the 20 minutes it could work.

I also really don't think Gestures should be applied: how long does it really take to pop a pill in your mouth, and is it really a clearly unusual and easily observed movement which obviously has no purpose other than the activation of your power? No. Your Focus Limitation already takes care of the detriments of the pill. I very rarely see Gestures justifiably applied other than in Heroic games for things like spells (or Incantations either, for that matter).

Re: Re: In need of your help and guidance: Power Question

Originally posted by Dr. Anomaly

2) Fuel Charges. Like Continuing Charges, they are worth less of a Limitation the longer they last, but they have some *terrific* good points. First, you can turn them on and off at will, using the Charge only when you need it. If you have a Continuing Fuel Charge that lasts 1 minute, you get one minute total use out of it, even if you break that up into 20 3-second spurts. Second, you get a *lot* of "bang for your buck". For instance, if you have one that lasts 1 minute, that's actually *60* phases of use! So if you're a Speed 12 character, that's five full Turns; if you're a Speed 4 character, that's *fifteen* full Turns! (You only use the Fuel Charge on *your* active phases.)

Note, though, that if someone dispels your fuel charge, or it turns off for any reason other than you deliberately turning it off, you lose *all* remaining time on the charge.