Western Hero

jimthegray

Working on a westernhero malafaux like campaign.

I was wondering if anyone has run any western themed games with 6th and if they had and advice or experiences that might be insightful?

I already have a decent magic system worked out with the group using the actual spells as equipment but needing certain talents and skills in oder to cast, that we have been using to good effect in our fantasy hero game.

thanks

jim

Re: Western Hero

I haven't run any western games in 6e (although I did in 4 and 5e). I have run a Steampunk game in 6e, with a lot of success. The 6e Equipment Guide has a goodly section on weapons of the 19th century, so you might want to check that out if you have the chance.

Good luck!

I've got a once a month Weird West game I run with 6th. Goes over real well but it helps if you have folks that are familiar with the Western genre in general on top of whatever you have in the game for tweaks and such. Folks tell me the 6e Equipment guide has a lot of good stuff in it, but since Western runs as much in my blood as Pulp and a few other things (currently a lot of Guinness for example), and I'm intimately familiar with the history of the gun for example, I just wrote up my own stuff and cribbed some structure from the old Western Hero and of course, fun products like Aces and Eights and Boot Hill.

The rest is just game play, and throwing a lot of Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey books at folks on top of a pile of Jonah Hex and Lone Ranger comics, heh. Eventually they get it.

~Rex

• 2 weeks later...

There were a lot of great Western Radio Drama's as well. The nifty thing about those is a lot of Libraries will have them in one format or another, And, since their presentation is as an Audio Drama, one can pick up a lot of good ways to present such materials to the players in both style and delivery. No Reading required.

~Rex

There were a lot of great Western Radio Drama's as well. The nifty thing about those is a lot of Libraries will have them in one format or another, And, since their presentation is as an Audio Drama, one can pick up a lot of good ways to present such materials to the players in both style and delivery. No Reading required.

~Rex

Here's a site with some of the radio shows(not just westerns) that you can download and listen to:

http://www.radiolovers.com/

~Rex

Indeed. On a semirelated note, one of the links in my signature, The Monster Club, goes to an archive of old time radio horror and sci-fi shows, which comes in handy for "monster of the week" games.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm running a 5.5 game with a Weird West feel. It's a real mashup, inspired by Deadlands, Nightbane, an episode from some SF anthology or another I can't remember the name of, and of course, the old Western Hero. Cole Younger is sentenced to the mines to dig up a mineral with alchemical properties called eldricite. It's a death sentence, no one lasts more than a few years in the eldricite mines. Nine years later, Cole comes out with strange (and somewhat contagious) powers, he has become a 'Dust Devil'. Over a hundred years later, the Dust Lords (each over a century old, much more powerful than newer Dust Devils) rule a world ravaged by their vast powers and bitter conflicts. The immortal Cole turns his attention to a parallel earth with more advanced technology where events unfolded without his interference.

The earth is being invaded by super-powered cowboys from another dimension.

I wish I could find some western genre gaming tips myself, besides just watching more westerns, which never hurt anyone.

Similarly, if only there was a new Western HERO, even though I understand why there isn't one.

As per Steve Long's post in the Revised 2011 Release Schedule:

Time Travel Hero: Take a journey through the centuries with Time Travel Hero! This subgenre book for Star Hero discusses the nature of time from a scientific and dramatic standpoint, how to run time travel campaigns, and more. It also includes “mini-genre books” covering important periods in time such as the Wild West and the era of swashbucklers and pirates.

Author: Steven S. Long

Tentative Release Date: Late 2011

As per Steve Long's post in the Revised 2011 Release Schedule:

Time Travel Hero: Take a journey through the centuries with Time Travel Hero! This subgenre book for Star Hero discusses the nature of time from a scientific and dramatic standpoint, how to run time travel campaigns, and more. It also includes “mini-genre books” covering important periods in time such as the Wild West and the era of swashbucklers and pirates.

Author: Steven S. Long

Tentative Release Date: Late 2011

Ooh... Mister Long you sly dog. ;)