Dueling

zonk

Re: Dueling

A version of the Fencing Martial Art should do you good. ^^

Good. Perhaps you can put that into words with fewer syllables :idjit: for me?

Is there a product called Fencing Martial Art? I assume it might be in one of the combat books? Would it provide a cinematic fencing style?

Is there a product called Fencing Martial Art? I assume it might be in one of the combat books? Would it provide a cinematic fencing style?

Fencing and other martial arts are found, I believe, in the Hero System Martial Arts book.

edit: I think I recall hearing it was out of print you can probably order an electronic copy.

Lucius Alexander

House of the Palindromedary

While there is a Martial Arts book with tons of pre-made styles and, I believe some optional maneuvers, the rules for Martial Arts are in the core books.

For my Musketeer game I set up thease schools

The French

defensive

the British

sword and buckler, broad sword (useful for the knight on horseback)

the German

two handed

the Italian

movement, main gauche

the Spanish

buckler and against multipul oppents

I used a core with some of the special maneuvers from page 25 so each school had a real style difference.

I took a lot of information from the 5th ed Ultimate Martial Artist pg 25 to 26

I'd like to point out that the OP has only two posts to his name, both of which are in this thread.

So a more general introduction to HERO and explanation of combat and "cinematic" experiences might be more conducive to his goal. For instance, no list of maneuvers is inherently cinematic. It's how the GM narrates, how the PCs chose to use their abilities, etc.

I love the Hero combat system

However is there any subsystem for dueling with rapiers?

Pirates, Musketeers, D'Artagnan, Athos, Porthos, and Aramis oh my

There's not a separate subsystem for dueling -- the Hero system's martial arts rules can do a good job of simulating the back-and-forth of rapier dueling as-is. As others have mentioned, there is a Fencing martial art style with maneuvers selected for this task; there is a basic version on 6E2, p. 93 but a more complete version in a different book, though I don't know which one for 6th edition off the top of my head. As Manic Typist said, a lot has to do with the GM (and players) keeping the action cinematic rather than rules-bound, but that's not something you'll find in a rules book.

Beyond the Fencing MA, you can also use other rules (Skills, Powers) to add custom features to the duelists -- for instance, using an Aid to OCV or DCV with Requires a Roll (Analyze Style or Tactics) to simulate someone who quickly learns an opponent's style and how to better defeat him. Or with GM permission, a Weapon Element (objects of opportunity) with the Fencing Martial Art to create a Jackie Chan-style fighter fencing with a broom handle or umbrella. Throw in some swashbuckling-style Powers, Skills, and Talents (e.g. Swinging, Charm, and/or Environmental Movement: Supreme Balance) and you're good to go.

In general, think of the things you'd like to simulate (for instance, Wesley dueling Inigo in The Princess Bride) and pick apart how you'd handle each piece. In the Princess Bride example, you have the general Fencing maneuvers, along with a number of Combat Skill Levels (which can be split among OCV, DCV, and damage as desired) for the fight itself; no Ambidexterity, since each got better once he switched to the right hand; Acrobatics (gotta stick that landing after doing the bar-spin thing); Analyze Style (the comments throughout the fight); maybe a little Combat Luck -- I think you get the picture.

And don't hesitate to post a question on these boards if you're not sure how to do something. The people here are pretty friendly, and I'll bet you get 3-4 different suggestions for how to do the same thing. And none of them will be wrong, just different ways of looking at the same thing.

For my Musketeer game

8< snip!

I used a core with some of the special maneuvers from page 25 so each school had a real style difference.

I took a lot of information from the 5th ed Ultimate Martial Artist pg 25 to 26

Used a core ... from page 25? Would that be 6th ed and which core book? It seems quite confusing about which is a core book since we are talking combat.

So a more general introduction to HERO and explanation of combat and "cinematic" experiences might be more conducive to his goal. For instance, no list of maneuvers is inherently cinematic. It's how the GM narrates, how the PCs chose to use their abilities, etc.

Cinematic. En Garde! is what I would like to mimic but with a broader range of options and a wilder world in which to play.

And yes I know this is a cheat double posting but... :eg:

From the Ultimate Martial Artist which is a great book and really helps flesh out combat. On page 24-page 26 Fencing is discussed.

of course in my gathering of information (wiki great) for my Musketeer game I used this information and built my own schools which the players never really look at and all bought MA Maneuvers from the French school.

I also used realistic reload times for my wheel locks and matchlocks so range weapons did not over power the game.

The start of my campaign was at the Inn of the Dancing pig (look over door)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/LordGhee/Musketeer/DSC00784.jpg

Here Sargent Porthos (under the block(table that he lifts) he is gray as he was not yet painted) threw a table over the wall at the Huguenots who have come to murder the Duc Du Orleans who leaps in his coach as it arrives in the morning to pick him up. Sargent Porthos of the kings Musketeers (just established months ago) tables some of the villains (he threw a giant oak table over the wall!) and takes a smashed Huguenot's horse and Arquebus and pursues the pursuing Huguenots Nobles: Duc Henry and other Huguenots nobles.

Porthos timely arrival at the Duc's crashed coached chased off the attackers just as they where going to fire the coach

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/LordGhee/Musketeer/DSC00785.jpg

The coach and paint job was a wonderful Christmas gift.

here are some other links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_school_of_fencing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_school_of_swordsmanship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destreza

I have the 5th Edition Ultimate Martial Artist and it lists 17 different fencing manuevers plus things like a suggestion for using Sleight of Hand for an advantage in combat.

If I'm not mistaken, the current edition's version is called something like Hero System Martial Arts. Whatever they call it, I doubt it's inferior for the purposes of someone who is enthusiastic about including cinematic sword fighting in their games.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary on the other hand does not respect fencing unless it's electrified or barbed wire.

I have the 5th Edition Ultimate Martial Artist and it lists 17 different fencing manuevers plus things like a suggestion for using Sleight of Hand for an advantage in combat.

If I'm not mistaken, the current edition's version is called something like Hero System Martial Arts. Whatever they call it, I doubt it's inferior for the purposes of someone who is enthusiastic about including cinematic sword fighting in their games.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary on the other hand does not respect fencing unless it's electrified or barbed wire.

I don't have 6th and I'm not sure exactly what the differences are between 5th and 6th other than comeliness has been removed :eek: I believe that my local friendly gaming store might have a used... no a previously owned :thumbup: copy of 5th edition ultimate martial artist.

This is obviously the wrong discussion group to ask the question about edition differences so I'll adjourn to another for that.

But thank you for the suggestions. I might, after perusing UMA 5th, be pestering you with additional questions.