Magic Bow Using Monster Hunter

Dr. MID-Nite

I'm creating a new hero loosely based on the bow using character of Savior from the 4th ed module,Shadows of the City. I plan to make the bow mystical in nature...so it cannot be separated from him permanently(no focus). Beyond that..looking for ideas...I'll probably skip making the character a major spell user...only minor spells to enhance his craft...so just what skills and abilities DO bow using monster hunters have these days?

Re: Magic Bow Using Monster Hunter

Depends on the monsters they're hunting' date=' really. KS: Occult Lore seems to be a no-brainer, KSs for various types of monsters (lycanthropes, vampires, zombies, goblins), Tracking, Stealth ...[/quote']

I'm thinking stealth tracking concealment WF:ranged and common HtH Shadowing Breakfall...possibly Streetwise(to get tips)...ranged penalty levels...some levels with his main attack(probably all used to add damage). Still thinking up the concept for the bow...beyond being magical...

Also maybe some defensive training:

Hardened Will - +15 PRE, Only vs Supernatural Terror

Slippery Mind - +5 to Breakout rolls

I made one organization with a "monster fighting" MA style. Based on the idea that you want to avoid the foes as much as possible, and definitely not be in a grab with them. I don't have it anymore, but IIRC, the main maneuvers were:

Duck and Roll - Flying Dodge

Escape the Coils - Martial Escape

Careful Jab - Defensive Strike

Hit and Retreat - Passing Strike

Smash the Idol - Offensive Strike

Also maybe some defensive training:

Hardened Will - +15 PRE, Only vs Supernatural Terror

Slippery Mind - +5 to Breakout rolls

I made one organization with a "monster fighting" MA style. Based on the idea that you want to avoid the foes as much as possible, and definitely not be in a grab with them. I don't have it anymore, but IIRC, the main maneuvers were:

Duck and Roll - Flying Dodge

Escape the Coils - Martial Escape

Careful Jab - Defensive Strike

Hit and Retreat - Passing Strike

Smash the Idol - Offensive Strike

I like these ideas. You're right. The training should be defensive....as ideally..a bow user will take his opponent out from 100 yards away.

I like these ideas. You're right. The training should be defensive....as ideally..a bow user will take his opponent out from 100 yards away.

Well, the Quincy in Bleach have similar skills (bows and arrows formed from energy) and have some close quarter/alternate techniques:

- A superfast movement (well, everyone of relevant powers has some sort of it in bleach). "Teleport, passes trhough space".

- a special arrow/focus for their power. "the only edged weapon" they have. can be used as crude shortsword, but main use it beign fired.

- when combining 5 of them into a special symbol, they hit the enemy with a very strong attack.

- one area of effect attack, similar to the archer class in champions online

- at least one entangle spell

- at lesat one spell/power to move arms, even if they are paralysed

Some more things:

As a Blaster/Ranged combatant Sight Flash Resistance/Alternate targetting sense shouldn't be missing.

HSMA has rules for Ranged Martial Arts, wich can include things like tripping shots or modifiers against range penalty.

Some, preferibly unusual, profession/hobby where manual dexterity helps (one of the quicys is doctor. the other is good at seewing).

Well, the Quincy in Bleach have similar skills (bows and arrows formed from energy) and have some close quarter/alternate techniques:

- A superfast movement (well, everyone of relevant powers has some sort of it in bleach). "Teleport, passes trhough space".

- a special arrow/focus for their power. "the only edged weapon" they have. can be used as crude shortsword, but main use it beign fired.

- when combining 5 of them into a special symbol, they hit the enemy with a very strong attack.

- one area of effect attack, similar to the archer class in champions online

- at least one entangle spell

- at lesat one spell/power to move arms, even if they are paralysed

Some more things:

As a Blaster/Ranged combatant Sight Flash Resistance/Alternate targetting sense shouldn't be missing.

HSMA has rules for Ranged Martial Arts, wich can include things like tripping shots or modifiers against range penalty.

Some, preferibly unusual, profession/hobby where manual dexterity helps (one of the quicys is doctor. the other is good at seewing).

Speaking of anime, you could also go the Inuyasha route, and the arrows can be blessed someway or another. Given the bow is mystical it might be redundant.

Champions 6E book has a weapon master build at the back which gives super bow and arrows. Gadgets section has a super bow and arrow MP.

For looks idea you can always go and watch the old Dungeons and Dragons animated strip. The "Ranger" I think just drew the bow and it would glow and then would have various effects. He never had any arrows.

:)

You could have a similar effect as any normal super bow and arrows but it will be a bit more costly as you will not have the focus to make it cheaper.

You are of a similar age as myself so you may remember it being around.

:)

You could have a similar effect as any normal super bow and arrows but it will be a bit more costly as you will not have the focus to make it cheaper.

Price will be a mayor concern. He is basically a Blaster/EP, not a archer (who can use OAF and Charges on most of his powers). This means you need good END and REC or have to buy reduced endurance.

OIAID and Restrainible/Both Hand Gestures seem to be the only working Limitations and should fit his shtick pretty well.