Spells/Powers only useable when mark exposed

CrosshairCollie

Suppose that only people born with a particular mark (Distinctive Feature) can cast spells or are born with innate magical abilities. These abilities can only be used if the mark is exposed; so, to use one example from the thing I'm thinking of converting, some people have an 'evil eye'; one eye that is just white, with no iris or pupil. If that eye is covered, they can't use their magic. Another type of character has a black hand; if they're wearing a glove on that hand, none of their magical abilities function.

Would this be best handled with a Power Limitation on all the powers, or a Physical Limitation? it seems like a variant of restrainable (probably the -1/4 version), but I'm not sure if it's legal to combine that with Gestures (which some people still need).

Re: Spells/Powers only useable when mark exposed

I'd just use Conditional Power - Does not work when mark is covered. But Restrainable sounds like it would fit the bill pretty well. I don't see why gestures would be a problem. If you have Restrainable Flight, (in the form of wings), you can't fly if you can't flap your wings, but if you can perform spells with your wings by using Gestures, then even if you are free, you still have to make those obvious arcane Gestures to do the spell. Restrainable means that you need a certain part of your body free to use a power, Gestures means that you have to be unencumbered and unconfined but also means that people can clearly see that you are up to something.

Anyway, if you have to use your hands to perform your gestures and unveil your evil eye to use a power then that is clearly to separate Limitations.

I'd say that it would be easier to use Power Limitations. An apprentice who has barely mastered one power should not get the same points for a Physical Limitation on their magic as a Grand Master would and it would be tricky to have to work out how big each character's Physical Limitation should be.

I like the concept. I would use both distinctive features "spell touched," and the 1/4th Restrainable.

The reason? Paranoid mage haters may just cut off the offending hand, or put out that evil eye...Of course the mage haters wouldn't use "Spell touched" they would call them, "witch marks" or "demon signs"...or something colorfully negative.

Would this be best handled with a Power Limitation on all the powers' date=' or a Physical Limitation? it seems like a variant of restrainable (probably the -1/4 version), but I'm not sure if it's legal to combine that with Gestures (which some people still need).[/quote']

You might also model it with Dependence - Loss of Power.

Suppose that only people born with a particular mark (Distinctive Feature) can cast spells or are born with innate magical abilities. These abilities can only be used if the mark is exposed; so, to use one example from the thing I'm thinking of converting, some people have an 'evil eye'; one eye that is just white, with no iris or pupil. If that eye is covered, they can't use their magic. Another type of character has a black hand; if they're wearing a glove on that hand, none of their magical abilities function.

Would this be best handled with a Power Limitation on all the powers, or a Physical Limitation? it seems like a variant of restrainable (probably the -1/4 version), but I'm not sure if it's legal to combine that with Gestures (which some people still need).

Hmm, the first FullMetal Alchemist anime had a character named Siren like that. She had a tattoo on her chest just above the breast that she kept covered up with her suit. When she unzipped she would give a nasty little explosion. In fact, when the police whe used that to get away, by asking the policeman to unzip her a little because it was "hot and stuffy". (course, she had a few other tricks, so she wasnt defenseless w/o it, overall)

Course, given your opinions on most anime.....:doi:

Hmm, the first FullMetal Alchemist anime had a character named Siren like that. She had a tattoo on her chest just above the breast that she kept covered up with her suit. When she unzipped she would give a nasty little explosion. In fact, when the police whe used that to get away, by asking the policeman to unzip her a little because it was "hot and stuffy". (course, she had a few other tricks, so she wasnt defenseless w/o it, overall)

Course, given your opinions on most anime.....:doi:

True, but there's no denying that there are similarities.