Rise of the Planet of the Apes

RexMundi

If you have not seen this flick, and are a PotA fan, you need to go see this flick. It's Pure Pulp Awesome, and pays tribute to all the good stuff before while ignoring the Drek Mistake that happened back in 2001.

After seeing this flick twice this weekend, I wanted to rave about it, but I'm still pushing folks to go see Captain America as well, so I say, Double Feature It. :D

Well worth even night prices.

It does have me thinking of possible growing this thread with some Planet of the Apes write ups and campaign stuff. I've done a sort of Pulp/Post Apocalyptic game before back in the BBB days, so might convert that to 6e and post it over here once I clean the rest of the stuff off the plate.

More to come later for this one. Right now, a place holder.

~Rex

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I liked it as well. I like how they set everything up to make the sequel either a continuation of this story or a direct remake of the original. I also liked the prison movie they hid inside the main movie. It was almost as clever as when they did it in the last Toy Story flick.

I can see how folks would see that. To me it was more the Pen's in the Planet of the Apes movie (the real one not the Burton one), firehose scene and all. One of the things I liked about this movie was that every real Planet of the Apes Flick, and even some of the stuff from the cartoon and the comics got a little shout out here and there. It does make me wonder what's gonna be on the DvD though......

~Rex

One thing about this flick is that while it is chock full of a lot of easter eggs, it IS a complete reboot and a nice foundation for a new series. So it doesn't fit into the previous mythology for the series at all really (neither does Burtons thing), and fortunently, it's not a Prequel to the Burton thing either, so it stands on it's own two feet so to speak.

The Changes fit with what's gone on in the world since '68 but it was cool of them to easter egg stuff at appropriate places in the new flick. I hope it takes off as well.

There's also been a lot of REALLY goof Planet of the Apes Comics over the decades that tie into the old continuity really well. The stuff from Boom for example is top notch material and a lot of fun, not to mention very well drawn. If folks haven't seen it it's well worth a perusal on the rack if not at least an outright buy.

PlanetOfTheApes1.jpg

~Rex....says the Movie is a great jumping on point for new fans, and you can't go wrong with an Apes Game either. :D

So, converting some OLD Champions PotA stuff, and I got to thinking. The basic formula, is Ape, which of course limits us to what you see. Chimpanzee, Gorilla, Orangutan, (And Human as far as this is concerned).....

I was thinking though (I know, a rare and dangerous action), What about some of the Larger members of the Monkey family so to speak, The Baboon, Drill, and Mandrill.

Could be some game potential there as well. Anyway back to stating out the packages.

~Rex

Bonobo's and Chimps split off about a Million Years back, and Bonobo's tend to be more...what's the word, gracile. Their not really that much smaller then Chimps, so I wouldn't call them the Hobbits of the Apes, heh. I would however, toss in some behavioral differences, and maybe a few tweaks here and there just to distinguish them a bit.

Chimpanzee's and Bonobo's have a Lot of Different Looks though. Was just at the Zoo the other week and you can really tell individuals apart without to much trouble at all.

Would definitely add to the appearance variety though so food for thought.

~Rex

Just wait, it's a matter of time, heh. One of the things I really liked about this movie, is that though they deviated from the established canon and history in a complete reboot, they kept the easter eggs and the nods to all that came before .......

And in the process set up something that instead of, a Zombie Apocalypse, we can have an Ape Apocalypse. There's a lot of potential here for a franchise, AND a seriously good jumping on point for a game.....

Need to at least finish this Outline for a Con Event or something. Got a few Ideas. One of which, is from the APE perspective. Build and Balance time.

~Rex

I saw the movie and while I'm not as apes about it as Rex (sorry, couldn't help myself), I did enjoy myself and would recommend it as a matinee. My main problem with it is that IMHO it did a poor job fleshing out the human. Heck twenty minutes after leaving the theater I had to struggle remember the name of the human protagonist. On the positive side, Andy Serkis did a great job playing Ceasar, the special effects and stunts were good, and it is great game fodder.

Just wait, it's a matter of time, heh. One of the things I really liked about this movie, is that though they deviated from the established canon and history in a complete reboot, they kept the easter eggs and the nods to all that came before .......

And in the process set up something that instead of, a Zombie Apocalypse, we can have an Ape Apocalypse. There's a lot of potential here for a franchise, AND a seriously good jumping on point for a game.....

Need to at least finish this Outline for a Con Event or something. Got a few Ideas. One of which, is from the APE perspective. Build and Balance time.

~Rex

How long post RotPotA were you thinking of setting your game? Balance will be tricky, but if you carefully limit the equipment and skills available to the apes, you might be able to work something half way fair out.

Yeah I'm thinking of it as an escalated Scale. They did something similar in the BOOM! comics, and it worked well there, so I can start Small, and work my way up in increments. Possibly even start the first arc with Apes, and as things start to progress, you could End the Tournament so to speak, with folks playing the Humans....

There should have been a bit more development of James Franco's character in the flick I think. Still, "x" amount of time, and I thought he did a good job for what he had as far as time to do it. Lithgow I really thought did well in the flick and he has a bit part basically.

Still in the end, it's Rise of the Planet of the Apes and the Apes deserved the attention. I'm not rating the flick as an oscar winner (though Serkis is amazing as usual), but it is FUN, and Fun is something you don't see in movies that much anymore.

~Rex