Energy Absorber/Blaster

lord_salamander

Hey there, I'm looking to make a energy absorbing character that can then transform the power he gets from the energy he absorbs into energy blasts and/or additional strength. I'm new to the HERO system, so I'm somewhat in the dark here.

So, some question I have are:

- What type of adsorption should I use? What stat should it link to for the effect I want (I was thinking a seperate END pool just for the energy powers).

- I'm looking to make a blast power that has several settings, so that the more END he spends on it, the more powerful it becomes. What is the best way to do that?

Cheers,

LS

Re: Energy Absorber/Blaster

Hello and welcome. I'm far from an expert but I will try to get you started. I'll keep the point totals in my suggestions around what I might use for a typical Champions game. I am using the 6e rules for these examples.

"I'm looking to make a energy absorbing character that can then transform the power he gets from the energy he absorbs into energy blasts and/or additional strength."

Your off to a good start with Absorption power.

"- What type of adsorption should I use? What stat should it link to for the effect I want (I was thinking a seperate END pool just for the energy powers)."

I would take as broad an Absorption as possible as you will need to absorb energy before you can attack at full effect. I would even suggest building the Absorption as two powers. The bonus of this is that you can then use the Defensive Absorption Advantage to use these two powers as your defenses, which will save a few points. I might even buy some additional defenses as (unlike most other characters) you need to be hit before you can attack at full effect.

"Kinetic Energy Absorption" 15 pts. of Absorption (PD to STR), x4 Maximum Effect (+1/2), Defensive Absorption (+1) (37 APs)

"Energy Absorption" 15 pts. of Absorption (ED to Blast), x4 Maximum Effect (+1/2), Defensive Absorption (+1) (37 APs)

You can throw in a few Limitations like Perceivable (-1/4) and/ or Unified Power (-1/4) to keep costs down. The separate END pool can be bought as an END Reserve with the extra STR and Blast power being defined as drawing from the Reserve and not youe personal END.

"Energy Reserve" 60 END/ 15 REC END Reserve (25 APs)

A flavorful Limitation might be something like Limited Recovery: Only while Absorption currently has Character Points absorbed (-2).

"- I'm looking to make a blast power that has several settings, so that the more END he spends on it, the more powerful it becomes. What is the best way to do that?"

As far as the Blast goes, powers already kind of work this way. You can choose to spend less END and use the power at a lesser effect. I suggest buying the Blast as the lowest value the GM allows as your Absorption will add to it.

"Energy Blast" 1d6 Blast (ED) (Draws END from Reserve) (5 APs)

If the GM allows you to boost this even higher, perhaps you can buy an additional +2d6 Blast with the x10 END Increased Endurance Limitation (-4) to simulate easier access to Pushing (6e2 pg.134).

I hope this helped. please let me know if I explained something poorly.

I think (someone correct me if I am wrong :)) that if you have absorption to Endurance this will increase your endurance total. So if you have the normal absorption every body absorbed will increase your endurance by the amount. 10 absorption would increase it by 10 (10 max a hit to 20 maximum total). But if you then expend endurance the total will go down but then can be recovered to that amount. So to get the best out of it you should also have a high recovery as well (possibly split between the two?).

So it would be better to boost your own end than make another end pool.

So to take the maximum advantage would be to have extended time on the absorption and then spend time to keep your endurance to the maximum with regular recovery phases.

For the energy blast you could have one that is cheaper by having the limitation of having it cost double endurance so can only be used when endurance is high.

Or talk to the GM to get a "higher than average dice" energy attack but can only be used when you have maximum absorbtion and use up most of your endurance in one go and then possibly have charges with it as well to simulate the all or nothing attack.

Sounds like a cool energy attack character concept ;)

Well, as an alternative for 5th edition and just because I like to be different, I would propose the following:

Absorption- 10d6 Absorption, Varying Effect (+3/4)- points go to End (87 Active Points)

Absorption Defense- 20/20 Armor, linked to Absorption (-1/2), Only to the Body Rolled on Absorption Dice (-1/2) (60 Active points/30 Real Cost)

PLUS:

Absorbed Energy Release Mutipower (75 active points), All powers can only be paid for with End added through Absorption power (-1/4) (60)

Energy Absorption- 10d6 Energy Blast, Variable SFX (Any, +1/2); Can only be used in rounds that character absorbs energy damage (-1/2), (3u) 7 End

Cannot do more damage than the damage of the Absorbed attack (-1/2), SFX of Blast Must be same as Abosrbed attack (-0)

Kinetic Absorption- +50 Strength; Can only be used in rounds that character absorbs kinetic damage (-1/2), Cannot add more points of (2u) 5 End

Strength than the damage of the Absorbed attack (-1/2)

Total: 183 points but does allow for what you asked for and then if the character refines their power they could always add additional slots such as:

10d6 Flash to any one sense group at a time (+1/2); Can only be used in rounds that character absorbs energy damage (-1/2), Cannot do more Body than the Body of the Absorbed attack (-1/2), Flash must be appropriate to the Absorbed attack (ie. Taste/Smell would likely require checmical or gas attack, light for sight, Sound for hearing, etc, -0)

After reading over the advice I have put together this for the character. I'm still working on the skills/background and tweaking the characteristics, but what do you guys think so far?

----------------------------

Pulsar

Characteristics

40 STR 10

14 DEX 8

16 CON 6

20 BODY 10

16 INT 6

14 EGO 4

16 PRE 6

10 PD 8

10 ED 8

4 SPD 20

20 REC 16

40 END 4

50 STUN 15

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 167

Powers

27 Energy Absorption: Absorption 15 BODY (Energy, END), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Absorption As A Defense (Normal; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (41 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4)

27 Kinetic Absorption: Absorption 15 BODY (Physical, END), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Absorption As A Defense (Normal; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (41 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4)

40 Energy Flight: Flight 40m

100 Energy Control: Multipower, 100-point reserve

3f 1)
Energy Sheath
: Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; Damage Shield; +1/4), Constant (+1/2) (70 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2)

7f 2)
Energy Maelstrom
: Blast 8d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Area Of Effect (16m Radius; +3/4) (100 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

5f 3)
Energy Blast
: (Total: 80 Active Cost, 49 Real Cost) Blast 4d6 (Real Cost: 20) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) (Real Cost: 10) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x6 END; -2 1/2) (Real Cost: 6)

Stages:

I: 4d6 Damage (2 END)

II: 8d6 Damage (6 END)

III: 12d6 Damage (12 END)

IV: 16d6 Damage (24 END)

2f 4)
Charged Punch
: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)

1f 5)
Increased Strength
: +20 STR (20 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 212

Skills

Military Officer Training

2 1) KS: Military 11-

0 2) PS: Military Officer 11-

3 3) Tactics 12-

3 4) Teamwork 12-

Scientist

2 1) PS: Military Scientist 11-

2 2) Science Skill: Advanced Particle Physics 11-

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Climbing 8-

0 3) Concealment 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 5) Language: English (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)

0 6) Paramedics 8-

0 7) Persuasion 8-

0 8) Shadowing 8-

0 9) Stealth 8-

0 10) TF: Everyman Skill, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

0 11) AK 8-

Skills Cost: 12

Perks

4 Fringe Benefit: Captain

Perks Cost: 4

Total Character Cost: 395

Disadvantages

• 15 Hunted: [NPC Group] (Frequently; As Pow; Harshly Punish)
  • 15 Psychological Complication: Hatred of [NPC Group] (Common; Strong)
  • 10 Psychological Complication: Vengeful (Uncommon; Strong)
  • 15 Social Complication: Subject to Orders Frequently, Major
  • 15 Social Complication: Public ID Frequently, Major
  • 5 Dependent NPC: Daughter - Skilled Hacker (Infrequently; Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 400

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Well, as an alternative for 5th edition and just because I like to be different, I would propose the following:

Absorption- 10d6 Absorption, Varying Effect (+3/4)- points go to End (87 Active Points)

Absorption Defense- 20/20 Armor, linked to Absorption (-1/2), Only to the Body Rolled on Absorption Dice (-1/2) (60 Active points/30 Real Cost)

PLUS:

Absorbed Energy Release Mutipower (75 active points), All powers can only be paid for with End added through Absorption power (-1/4) (60)

Energy Absorption- 10d6 Energy Blast, Variable SFX (Any, +1/2); Can only be used in rounds that character absorbs energy damage (-1/2), (3u) 7 End

Cannot do more damage than the damage of the Absorbed attack (-1/2), SFX of Blast Must be same as Abosrbed attack (-0)

Kinetic Absorption- +50 Strength; Can only be used in rounds that character absorbs kinetic damage (-1/2), Cannot add more points of (2u) 5 End

Strength than the damage of the Absorbed attack (-1/2)

Total: 183 points but does allow for what you asked for and then if the character refines their power they could always add additional slots such as:

10d6 Flash to any one sense group at a time (+1/2); Can only be used in rounds that character absorbs energy damage (-1/2), Cannot do more Body than the Body of the Absorbed attack (-1/2), Flash must be appropriate to the Absorbed attack (ie. Taste/Smell would likely require checmical or gas attack, light for sight, Sound for hearing, etc, -0)

What do you mean by "rounds"? Phases? Turns? Combats/Encounters?

After reading over the advice I have put together this for the character. I'm still working on the skills/background and tweaking the characteristics' date=' but what do you guys think so far?[/size']

----------------------------

Pulsar

Characteristics

40 STR 10

14 DEX 8

16 CON 6

20 BODY 10

16 INT 6

14 EGO 4

16 PRE 6

10 PD 8

10 ED 8

4 SPD 20

20 REC 16

40 END 4

50 STUN 15

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 167

Powers

27 Energy Absorption: Absorption 15 BODY (Energy, END), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Absorption As A Defense (Normal; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (41 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4)

27 Kinetic Absorption: Absorption 15 BODY (Physical, END), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Absorption As A Defense (Normal; +1/2), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (41 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/4), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4)

40 Energy Flight: Flight 40m

100 Energy Control: Multipower, 100-point reserve

3f 1)
Energy Sheath
: Blast 8d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; Damage Shield; +1/4), Constant (+1/2) (70 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2)

7f 2)
Energy Maelstrom
: Blast 8d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Constant (+1/2), Area Of Effect (16m Radius; +3/4) (100 Active Points); No Range (-1/2)

5f 3)
Energy Blast
: (Total: 80 Active Cost, 49 Real Cost) Blast 4d6 (Real Cost: 20) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1) (Real Cost: 10) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x6 END; -2 1/2) (Real Cost: 6)

Stages:

I: 4d6 Damage (2 END)

II: 8d6 Damage (6 END)

III: 12d6 Damage (12 END)

IV: 16d6 Damage (24 END)

2f 4)
Charged Punch
: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)

1f 5)
Increased Strength
: +20 STR (20 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2)

Powers Cost: 212

Skills

2 1) KS: Military 11-

0 2) PS: Military Officer 11-

3 3) Tactics 12-

3 4) Teamwork 12-

Scientist

2 1) PS: Military Scientist 11-

2 2) Science Skill: Advanced Particle Physics 11-

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Climbing 8-

0 3) Concealment 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 6) Paramedics 8-

0 7) Persuasion 8-

0 8) Shadowing 8-

0 9) Stealth 8-

0 10) TF: Everyman Skill, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

0 11) AK 8-

Skills Cost: 12

Perks

Total Character Cost: 395

Disadvantages

• 15 Hunted: [NPC Group] (Frequently; As Pow; Harshly Punish)
  • 15 Psychological Complication: Hatred of [NPC Group] (Common; Strong)
  • 10 Psychological Complication: Vengeful (Uncommon; Strong)
  • 15 Social Complication: Subject to Orders Frequently, Major
  • 15 Social Complication: Public ID Frequently, Major
  • 5 Dependent NPC: Daughter - Skilled Hacker (Infrequently; Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)

Disadvantage Points: 75

Base Points: 400

Well it would depend on the GM and his campaign maximums. Normaly for 400 points the usual maximum is 12D6 / 60 points active but if he has upper limits as you have 100 active limits 16D6 energy attack and possibly 18D6 HTH with the 40 strength then increased +20 strength boost and then +6D6 HTH. You cound do with some resistant defence (unless I missed it). Some GM's may not allow the two absorbs to stack so each one will have to be tracked separately.

I discussed with the other players about what we wanted to do with our game (I'm actually GMing it, whilst running this character as a major NPC/GMPC), and have decided to go low-powered, with the characters just developing their powers and having very little control over them. With this in mind I have revised the character (ignore over cost, characters will be going up to 300 points shortly after the game start).

Pulsar

Characteristics

16/30 STR 6

14 DEX 8

16 CON 6

20 BODY 10

14 INT 4

14 EGO 4

16 PRE 6

10/25 PD 0 (23r)

10/25 ED 0 (23r)

3 SPD 10

10 REC 6

20 END 0

30 STUN 5

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 107

Powers

14 Biosteel Body Armour: (Total: 24 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) +8 PD, Resistant (+1/2) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus +8 ED, Resistant (+1/2) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

66 Energy Absorption: (Total: 98 Active Cost, 66 Real Cost) Absorption 15 BODY (Energy, END), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Absorption As A Defense (Resistant; +1), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (49 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 33) plus Absorption 15 BODY (Physical, END), Increased Maximum (x2 points) (+1/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1), Absorption As A Defense (Resistant; +1) (49 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 33)

40 Energy Control: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2)

2f 1)
Charged Punch
: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)

1f 2)
Increased Strength
: +14 STR (14 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2)

3f 3)
Energy Blast
: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 31 Real Cost) Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8) [Notes: Stages: I: 4d6 Damage (2 END), II: 8d6 Damage (6 END), III: 12d6 Damage (12 END)]

19 Uncontrolled Energy Discharge: Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Constant (+1/2) (67 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Activates when END pool (80+) overflows, deactivates when pool drops below half; -2), No Range (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 145

Skills

3 1) Climbing 12-

3 2) KS: Military 12-

3 3) Oratory 12-

3 4) Persuasion 12-

4 5) PS: Military Officer 13-

3 6) Stealth 12-

3 7) Tactics 12-

3 8) Teamwork 12-

2 9) WF: Small Arms

Everyman Skills

0 1) AK 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Concealment 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 6) Paramedics 8-

0 7) Shadowing 8-

0 8) TF: Everyman Skill, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Skills Cost: 27

Perks

Total Character Cost: 283

Disadvantages

10 Hunted: The Government Frequently (Mo Pow; Watching)

10 Psychological Complication: Angry at Steel Vipers (Uncommon; Strong)

10 Psychological Complication: Vengeful (Uncommon; Strong)

15 Hunted: Steel Vipers Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Social Complication: Public ID Frequently, Major

Disadvantage Points: 60

Base Points: 250

Experience Required: 33

Welcome

Defensive Absoprtion:

It is still subject to the limis of any other Adjustment power. Moreover, if you already are at your Absoprtion Limit (absorbed your limit that segment or are at the limit what it can Aid), it offer no Protection (I asked Stevee Long about it).

I think it could be easier/better to build energy absorbers with Triggered Aid (self only) and normal Defenses.

Also that characters CON and Stun are simply to low to survive being hit often (or maybe even twice).

Ooops' date=' sorry- phases then.[/quote']

In that case he could only benifit from the power in the same Phase he was hit (going by how you worded it). What's he supposed to do, hold his action every phase until he gets attacjed, then retaliate? Hope he doesn't get stunned often or he'll never be able to use it... :)

Hmm ok. With the triggered aid how does 4d6, limited to END, self only, with 2x pool size, limited to the amount of damage done sound? Is that more or less what you were suggesting? What values would the modifiers have?

Also, what are good vales for CON and STUN would be suitable?

Edit: just read about adjustment powers. So aid would do 1/2 the value of the roll in points, not pure END? Does that mean for every point you get 5 END?

Hmm ok. With the triggered aid how does 4d6' date=' limited to END, self only, with 2x pool size, limited to the amount of damage done sound? Is that more or less what you were suggesting? What values would the modifiers have?[/quote']

HSMA has variant of the Transfer Power (Drain, with linked, Triggered Aid) in wich teh Aid uses (Standart Effect: The amount of points Drained). You could do this for your Aid too, but it would of course be limited to the amount one Roll can Aid.

As Trigger I think this would work:

Trigger ("Whenever being hit"; Activates as Action that takes no Time; automatically resets as action that takes no time; Can't controll activation of personal trigger; +1/2)

Upper Limit:

4d6 gives him 24 upper Limit. Doubled to 48 Aid Effect. Endurance cost 1 CP per 5 END, but since it's a defensive Power it is limited to 24 Maximum Effect wich results in +120 Endurance. On average it would require 4 hits to get that much (asuming no fading is in the picture and the enemy does at least 24 Damage).

Also' date=' what are good vales for CON and STUN would be suitable?[/quote']

Closer at the Brick end, both with this and defenses. But you could save in the areas of DCV and Dexterity, since they only prevent you form powering up.

Ok, here is what seems to be the completed version. Tell me if you think it has enough CON and STUN, as well as the other attributes being balanced.

Pulsar

Characteristics

30 STR 8

12 DEX 4

18 CON 8

20 BODY 10

14 INT 4

12 EGO 2

16 PRE 6

7 OCV 20

6 DCV 15

3 OMCV 0

5 DMCV 6

25 PD 0

25 ED 0

3 SPD 10

10 REC 6

20 END 0

50 STUN 15

12m RUN 0

4m SWIM 0

4m LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 114

Powers

14 Biosteel Body Armour: (Total: 24 Active Cost, 14 Real Cost) +8 PD, Resistant (+1/2) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7) plus +8 ED, Resistant (+1/2) (12 Active Points); OIF (-1/2), Requires A Roll (14- roll; -1/4) (Real Cost: 7)

50 Energy Absorption: (Total: 89 Active Cost, 50 Real Cost)

+15 ED, Resistant (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

plus
+15 PD, Resistant (+1/2) (22 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4) (Real Cost: 12)

plus
Aid END 2d6, Standard Effect (END gained equals damage done) (+0), Expanded Effect (x2 Characteristics or Powers simultaneously) (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates, Character does not control activation of personal Trigger; Whenever hit with attack; +3/4), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1) (45 Active Points); Perceivable (-1/2), Unified Power (Energy Absorption; -1/4) (Real Cost: 26)

Note:
Absorb (2d6)*2.5 Damage and Convert to END. Maximum +60 END at anyone time.

40 Energy Control: Multipower, 60-point reserve, (60 Active Points); all slots Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2)

2f 1)
Charged Punch
: Hand-To-Hand Attack +6d6 (30 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/4)

1f 2)
Increased Strength
: +12 STR (14 Active Points); Costs END To Maintain (Full END Cost; -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2)

3f 3)
Energy Blast
: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 31 Real Cost) Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) (Real Cost: 13) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Blast 4d6 (20 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Requires A Roll (11- roll; -1/2) (Real Cost: 8) [Notes: Stages: I: 4d6 Damage (2 END), II: 8d6 Damage (6 END), III: 12d6 Damage (12 END)]

19 Uncontrolled Energy Maelstrom: Blast 6d6, Personal Immunity (+1/4), Area Of Effect (8m Radius; +1/2), Constant (+1/2) (67 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Activates when END pool (80+) overflows, deactivates when pool drops below half; -2), No Range (-1/2)

Powers Cost: 129

Skills

3 1) Climbing 11-

3 2) KS: Military 12-

3 3) Oratory 12-

3 4) Persuasion 12-

4 5) PS: Military Officer 13-

3 6) Stealth 11-

3 7) Tactics 12-

3 8) Teamwork 11-

2 9) WF: Small Arms

Everyman Skills

0 1) AK 8-

0 2) Acting 8-

0 3) Concealment 8-

0 4) Deduction 8-

0 6) Paramedics 8-

0 7) Shadowing 8-

0 8) TF: Everyman Skill, Small Motorized Ground Vehicles

Skills Cost: 27

Perks

Total Character Cost: 274/275

Disadvantages

10 Hunted: The Government Frequently (Mo Pow; Watching)

10 Psychological Complication: Angry at Steel Vipers (Uncommon; Strong)

10 Psychological Complication: Vengeful (Uncommon; Strong)

15 Hunted: Steel Vipers Frequently (As Pow; Harshly Punish)

15 Social Complication: Public ID Frequently, Major

Disadvantage Points: 60

Base Points: 275

"Tell me if you think it has enough CON and STUN, as well as the other attributes being balanced."

I might try to squeeze in a few more points in to CON. In a 12d6 average game, attacks will hit for about (12 x 3.5 =) 42 STUN. 42 STUN - 25 (your) PD or ED means you will take about 17 damage when hit. While you will not be Stunned by an average attack, even slightly above average attacks may Stun you. Almost every non-Brick gets stunned sometime but its less fun if it happens frequently.

The game will be initially low powered' date=' with Attacks ranging from 6-8d6. So that means avg dmg is 21-28, which is just over my defenses. That should be OK initially, right? As the game continues I will invest more points into defenses and STUN.[/quote']

Actually, for an 6d6 to 8d6 game your defenses are too high. You are immune to 6 and 7d6 attacks on average. You would need to get hit by like 17 8d6 attacks to get knocked out, not too mention that you will recover 10 STUN (about 3 attacks worth of damage) per Turn. Assuming everyone's SPD and CVs are comparable, combats are going to take a very long time.

Just an FYI, the character you posted will be able to do a 12d6 in a 8d6 campaign. This means he will be doing roughly (28-25 = 3 vs. 42 - 25 = 17) 6 times the damage of the other characters.

Ah, I see your point. More tweaking it is then!

I guess my next question is: on avg, how much damage should a brick type character be taking per attack against him? What about a non-brick?

EDIT: Ok, Ive adjusted the damage to be 8d6 max, with 20 PD/ED. Is that more suitable?

I think a base defense of 20 is good for a 40 AP (8d6) game. A very rough estimate I have seen used is that basic defenses should be around half the value of attacks.

Some GMs will allow bricks to go a little higher with defenses but if you do I would play a typical combat out in your mind to make sure the brick doesn't become too hard to bring down. Other options, like Damage Reduction or Damage Negation in place of part of the basic defenses, can allow a brick to take a little more of a beating without the fear that he or she will simply shrug off all attacks.

The way you are writing it up, you are paying full price for a power that you cannot use, and then paying extra to use that power at reduced effectiveness.

I would recommend a more straightforward approach such as:

6d6 EB, only usable after being hit by an attack in the last turn, -1/4.

+2d6 EB, Only usable after being hit by two attacks in the last turn, -1/2.

+2d6 EB, Only usable after being hit by three attacks in the last turn, -3/4

+2d6 EB, Only usable after being hit by four attacks in the last turn, -1

+2d6 EB, Only usable after being hit by five attacks in the last turn, -1 1/4

That way you are always getting the exact effectiveness that you are paying for.

• 6 months later...

Absorption offers one other possibility. If you lower the base amount, and use the Expanded Effect advantage to include the Absorption itself, you can achieve an open-ended power.

e.g. Absorption (1 pt), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1), Expanded Effect (4 Abilities, +2), Increased Maximum 16 pts (+3/4), Defense (+1) ... Real Cost 5pts. After absorbing 5 pts, your power just doubled.

This is open to abuse. But it does lend itself to a) Phoenix or B) simply more efficient builds. Extra points could be used for a defenses, to better represent your concept.

Absorption offers one other possibility. If you lower the base amount, and use the Expanded Effect advantage to include the Absorption itself, you can achieve an open-ended power.

e.g. Absorption (1 pt), Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1), Expanded Effect (4 Abilities, +2), Increased Maximum 16 pts (+3/4), Defense (+1) ... Real Cost 5pts. After absorbing 5 pts, your power just doubled.

This is open to abuse. But it does lend itself to a) Phoenix or B) simply more efficient builds. Extra points could be used for a defenses, to better represent your concept.

No, thsi won't be open ended. You cannot aid a power or characteristic to more than twice it's starting Active Points, no matter how much AID effect you accumulate (so Increased Maximum has no effect on this).

Could you cite the rule/page for that? I re-read Absorption' date=' and the section on adjustment powers, and didn't see anything like that.[/quote']

That is odd, can't find it either.

Perhaps it was just my interpretation of "The maximum he can Absorb is two times the BODY he purchased". So no matter how much you aid it, that maximum never increases. But I better ask Mr. Long.