God of Redemption

mayapuppies

Re: God of Redemption

As far as the tenants of the religion' date=' I would be pulling from very early Christianity - peace, love, kindness, meekness, forgiveness, honesty, etc.[/quote']When was this time period? After Christianity took over the Roman Empire (when it pretty much became a religion) there was forced conversions, a purge of non-Christians, destruction then conversion of their temples to churches, the Donation of Constantine (a fake document giving the Church power of the State), and other similar acts. When was this peace, meekness, honesty, etc you mentioned?

I might take issue with this' date=' if I knew where to take it.[/quote']The problem with lawful good is "which laws" and "who decide what's good". One could argue the Borg and the Nazis were LG because they were very fond of law and order. Freedoms aren't a big part of lawful good.

Since this is part of the Fantasy Hero thread, it does raise the question of how often this god makes personal appearances. Does he/she/it only appear in important cases and when called upon, and by "appear" I mean actually appear (if there were cameras, you could snap a photo) or is he/she/it only show up in visions by the person in question. A successor will always deviate from the goals of the founders. This can be good and bad depending on if the successors adapt religious doctrine for changing times so it stays true to the intent or if they change dogma into being more "fundamental" and hampering social progress.

Think about this, during biblical times women were married in their early teens. Today that is considered immoral and criminal. At what point did it become unacceptable and who made that decision? When a god says, "OK, things have changed so I'm updating the rules of morality." What happens to those who are being punished under the old rules? What about those who were rewarded under the old rules?

The problem with lawful good is "which laws" and "who decide what's good".

Laws are naturally both arbitrary and plastic. No argument there.

Morality (goodness/evil) is not relative. An act is either moral (right/good), immoral (wrong/evil), or amoral (neither moral nor immoral/bad).

One could argue the Borg and the Nazis were LG because they were very fond of law and order.

Ethically (along the law/chaos axis), both the Borg & the Nazis are generally well ordered. So they may be called, "lawful," as long as they are maintaining this order.

War/battle/conflict is chaos. Waging a war is thus chaotic. As warriors, both the Borg & the Nazis are chaotic. Their seeming "lawfulness" is only the pragmatic means by which they use to promote war/chaos.

Morally, they are bad/evil. They exploit people they hate. It makes them feel good, but it is not moral/good.

Freedoms aren't a big part of lawful good.

There are limits to how much law/freedom is good.

There are 2 kinds of 'freedom': liberty (freedom from), & autonomy (freedom to).

Ideally (in a LG society), people would be free from the threat of death/enslavement/worse. This is called, "living in a state of being that has been liberated from oppressive chaotic conditions."

Furthermore, people should be free to be themselves (to pursue happiness).

Autonomy must be recognized & cultivated within limits, otherwise it gets wild & goes south sharply.

~ Mister E ("The root of all evil is freedom.")

One thing I'd offer up is that a god of redemption is probably not a nice deity. He isn't your friend, he isn't interested in cheering you up or making you feel better. Redemption, depending on your views regarding the subject, is hard. He would be very demanding and harsh, because he's dealing with people who are guilty and are trying to make up for that. I'd imagine this sort of treatment would just be part of the price paid to attempt this journey.

One thing I'd offer up is that a god of redemption is probably not a nice deity. He isn't your friend' date=' he isn't interested in cheering you up or making you feel better. Redemption, depending on your views regarding the subject, is [i']hard[/i]. He would be very demanding and harsh, because he's dealing with people who are guilty and are trying to make up for that. I'd imagine this sort of treatment would just be part of the price paid to attempt this journey.

Absolutely.

If he has a home, it would be Purgatory - and you're his "guest".

He would probably also be god of prisons and torture. Leading sinners to repentance is one of the jobs of organisations like the Inquisition, and you can't have redemption without repentance.