Fantasy Superheroes

Alcamtar

Re: Fantasy Superheroes

I always thought that superheroes was the correct way to run Fantasy Hero.

To get back to the thread though, I couldn't really imagine running a Fantasy Hero game without doing it as superheroes.

Its infinitely appropriate for the high fantasy genre. For other flavors of fantasy, not so much.

I had come up with an idea for a Dark champions style Fantasy hero game. Sort of inspired by the Iron Monkey movie. The players would play masked vigilantes in a large fantasy city. There would be your normal Vigilante tropes of corrupt city guards, and corrupt city officials and various thieves guilds fighting to be the top dog.

There would be magic of course and in a gadget heavy Dark Champions game magical items would replace technological gadgets.

As for being superheroes? I was aiming more towards Batman and the Punisher.

I do agree though that certain fantasy games particularily the high level ones can have many superhero tropes.

Like it was said before though make sure your players are on board with your concept or vision of the game. Without that you may have a difficult time.

Dave

Thundercats and He-man/She-ra are excellent examples as are Galtar and the Golden Lance, Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light, Vytor: The Starfire Champion etc.

There are a whole host of Anime that fit that bill: Bastard!, Elementalors, Magic Knight Rayearth (the OAV is worth checking out if you don't want to watch the whole series), Escaflowne: The Movie (they give the characters special powers in the movie that they didn't possess in the series), Slayers, Hero Tales (very Exalted-like. Definitely super powered fantasy) Saint Saiya, Basalisk (super powered Ninjas) Ninja Scroll (more ninjas!) Yotoden (ninjas again!) and if you want to see what Super Powered swordsmen should be capable of in a high fantasy type campaign, watch Rouroni Kenshin, Samurai Deeper: Kyo and Claymore. All three of these series can give you serious inspiration on how to make fighter-types compete with super powered mages in high fantasy campaigns. Claymore is especially high powered and I highly recommend it to give one an idea of what they might be getting themselves into. It can be found via Netflix (I watched it streaming through my PS3)