Need to comense with a player smack down

JmOz

Okay,

Started my first Hero Campeign last weekend with adults (I have been playing with my son & Daughter for the last few years).

First over half the group did not show up (Two had to work, one who knows). The adventure was a simple misdirection Museum heist of some mystical artifacts by grab and Talismen.

One player through his Secret ID out the window to start lobbying fireballs at Talismen

The other player managed to get captured by the mind controlled GRAB as they were stealing sacrificial daggers

I'm trying to figure out what I am doing to mage boy now...

It sounds like some of your players aren't on the same page with you for some reason. Have the played Champions before? I think it might be useful for you to call "time" during the next session, and go over what the campaign is about and cover some of the genre conventions. Highlight some of the blunders made last session and find out why they did that. You might need to hold the their hands in the early days ("You do realize that will kill your secret id, don't you?"). If nothing major happened last session, it might be best to call it "spring training" and declare that it doesn't really count.

Did you have advanced warning of the no-shows? Maybe the schedule needs to be made clearer?

Of course, if these folks are experienced players who should know better, than proceed directly with Chuckg's Black Paladin beat down.

Some questions:

About when did the robbery take place? Did Talisman and crew do this in the dead of night like they should have or were they gauche enough to attempt a daylight robbery with a large number of patrons inside?

Are the members of GRAB going to remember anything after the MC spell wears off?

Talisman + knowing someone's Secret ID? Heh heh heh.

I don't see why BP needs to be brought in; Talisman alone should be able to make this guy's secret ID life a living hell. Mind controlling/threatening loved ones, showing up at the wrong moment, etc. Heck, just have her call a reporter in advance and then commit a crime at the guy's workplace. "Gosh, I hope no heroes start shooting fireballs at me!" :)

But as others have said, if this is part of the learning curve for a new campaign, I'd set it up to be a temporary problem. Perhaps the Council intervenes and clears her memory or something, so the player gets a scare but isn't permanently screwed.

It could be your players weren't familiar with the genre?

One thing I like to do with new players is to play out their "backstory". It usually only takes a couple hours to do. Its set a few months or years prior to the start of the campaign, and plays out why they became a hero. Since both of you already know generally where you are going, this just helps flush out the details.

Most characters usually have a pivotal point in their lives that details why they became what they are.

Now, as for the trashing...

You could always have him contacted by the secretive "Select sub Committee on Paranormal Activities". Meeting in the basement of the US Senate, they investigate, control, and eliminate Paranormal threats to America. Their chairman is Senator Strom Thurmond.

Think of them as like the guys who cover up UFOs, only for mystical stuff. Remember the Indiana Jones movie, where at the end they file the "Arc of the Covenant" in the huge warehouse? Those are the guys.

I use them as a contact for many of my paranormal types, that I want to give a little direction to. Also, it means when the demons invade from Unholy Dimension #37D, someone actually shows up to either shoot at them, or search their luggage.

Unless the character is well known in their secret id, or someone who knew them was there when it occured, this isn't likely to merit much "smack down," or have extensive blow back in terms of identity. If they were there with people they know - then how close are they to those people, and how likely are those people to rat them out. People react all kinds of ways.

If they weren't there with people they know then its more likely their unidentified face was caught on camera (much like a bank robbers). The authorities may try to run it down, but without firm leads to back it up. If they make it a major priority then the photo might be broadcast on local television (ouch! - I hope the picture sucks).

I - as a GM - would prefer to 'make them sweat it' without completely blowing their id. Maybe their picture is up with a police press release "do you know this man" (but its not a very good picture), and maybe their love interest or a co-worker were there and the player isn't sure how they will react. Will this terminate their relationship or career? Will said individual rat me out?

If you just want to be mean about it and screw them for making a mistake them give them a Public ID and a hunted who now knows where they live, who they're dating, and whatnot. Next time talisman wants a diversion she can send some goons to mess with his loved ones.

More details on Mystfire (A supermage)

His Girlfriend works at the museum, but knows who he is.

He did think to turn invisible about halfway through the battle (I then realised after the fact that he had it in the same MP he was using for his fireballs, so a small rules issue there), but that was more for the strategic that hiding the ID.

Everyone had been distracted before hand by smoke from the other wing (The F/X for Chesire Cat's TPort in my game).

My goal here is for him to realise that his actions will have consequences (This player, while a good guy, does tend to get the groups he is in into trouble by doing DUMB things.)

Originally posted by JmOz

My goal here is for him to realise that his actions will have consequences (This player, while a good guy, does tend to get the groups he is in into trouble by doing DUMB things.)

Sounds like its time for the girlfriend to put a partial chill on the good-loving. She could be very upset that he put her co-workers and innocents in danger by starting a super-battle in a place with priceless art (and small children durnit!). She could tell him he's has immense power and sloppy impulse control and she needs some time to "think things over" because he might end up hurting innocents and she couldn't live with someone who was so careless (twist the knife a little).

Maybe the police have a picture of him from a security camera that's hazy from smoke and they get the idea its him, but have no proof. A snoopy detective whos asking questions should put him on edge (even if the guy can't prove the pc is the guy).

Originally posted by D-Man

Sounds like its time for the girlfriend to put a partial chill on the good-loving. She could be very upset that he put her co-workers and innocents in danger by starting a super-battle in a place with priceless art (and small children durnit!). She could tell him he's has immense power and sloppy impulse control and she needs some time to "think things over" because he might end up hurting innocents and she couldn't live with someone who was so careless (twist the knife a little).

Maybe the police have a picture of him from a security camera that's hazy from smoke and they get the idea its him, but have no proof. A snoopy detective whos asking questions should put him on edge (even if the guy can't prove the pc is the guy).

Oooooooooh........

Depending on the level 'smackdown' you want to put on mage-boy, you could stick with D-Mans suggestion or take it even one step further...

Small children? Hurting innocents? Thinking things over? How about the girlfriend needing time to think over whether or not he'll be a good father?

Syber "You're WHAT ?!?!?!..." dwarf2