Style: Turakian and Valdorian Ages

FenrisUlf

Hi all,

I intend to use the info on the Turakian and Valdorian Ages (that's the one right after Kal-Turka/Takofanes bites it, right?) in my own games, as I have a PC in Champions who owes his origin to a Turakian artifact.

Just out of curiosity, what do you folks think the 'feel' of the Turakian Age should be like when used? Is it Tolkien, Howard, or whatever? I do get the idea that it's something very ancient, giving me the impression of Lovecraft or Howard myself.

I think that the Turakian Age is going to resemble what some ahve called "tradional fantasy" RPGs. ahemD&Dahem. At least in flavor, if not in details. High magic, plurality of races, dark lord.

The Valdorian Age will be much more Conan-ish. Diifcult and slow magic, barbarian swordsmen running around robbing temples, low tech.

Keith "that's my understanding" Curtis

The Turakian Age is a High Fantasy world in the gaming style. Lots of magic, lots of monsters, lots of opportunity for world-shaking adventure, all that sort of stuff.

The Valdorian Age is a Swords-And-Sorcery setting. Think Conan, Clark Ashton Smith, and to some extent the Elric stories. There'll be more magic than you'd find in Conan, including of course magic in the hands of the PCs, but compared to the Turakian Age or most Fantasy gaming worlds the magic will be pretty sparse and difficult to use. (Same with Tuala Morn, but in a different way.)

Just to be clear, I'm using "High Fantasy" and "Swords And Sorcery" as they're defined in FH. Many people define these terms differently (witness Talon's post, for example), so I'm working off the definitions I've previously set forth. ;)

For my own custom Fantasy Setting Im working on on the side (The Machtig setting and the rest of the world around it),

Ive arranged the worlds history into Epochs that parrallel the common subgenres of Fantasy.

So back in the day it all started out as a very Low Fantasy, transitioned after a few thousand years into a Dark Low Fantasy, then to a Dark Sword & Sorcery, then into straight Sword & Sorcery, then into Epic, and now is just starting to accelerate into High Fantasy within the last 100 years previous to the campaign's starting point.

This allows for a cool natural progression, and for remnants of darker times seperated from the modern (game perspective) time by a long expanse of history "In Which Nothing Majorly Significant Happened But a Few Groups of Individuals Did Some Pivotal Stuff"

Originally posted by Steve Long

The Turakian Age is a High Fantasy world in the gaming style. Lots of magic, lots of monsters, lots of opportunity for world-shaking adventure, all that sort of stuff.

Thanks. I was thinking of something where the heroes get sent back in time and wind up facing whoever was wearing the Crowns of Krim back then -- you know, when they were *really* powerful.

The Valdorian Age is a Swords-And-Sorcery setting. Think Conan, Clark Ashton Smith, and to some extent the Elric stories. There'll be more magic than you'd find in Conan, including of course magic in the hands of the PCs, but compared to the Turakian Age or most Fantasy gaming worlds the magic will be pretty sparse and difficult to use. (Same with Tuala Morn, but in a different way.)

Well, I'm certainly looking forward to the Valdorian and Tuala Morn settings then; the latter sounds a lot like the Imaro stories or Howard's Bran Mak Morn/Valley of the Worm.

Thanks Mister Long.