A curse that returns?

Steve

Re: A curse that returns?

Why could he not be affected by Transform? Transform can do anything' date=' inlcuding taking an Inherent Power away. There is no absolute way to make a power un-affectable, the same way there are no other absolutes.[/quote']

I believe it was stated in the Ultimate Metamorph that while someone could be transformed, if they had Shape Shift they could use the power to change shape on their next phase. I read that to be that an always on form of shape shift would just snap the character back to the shape shift form on their next phase.

So, yes, they can be affected by Transform attacks and be turned into chairs or whatever, but Shape Shift should bring them right back, unless it was a Transform that would remove that specific power. If no such form of the power exists in the game, then it works like an absolute.

All Transforms have to have a defined way to remove them, so presumably there is a way to permanently remove this curse, but you would not want it to be obvious if you want to keep it going.

To have it reoccur even after being "dispelled", buy a Transform with a couple of levels of Difficult to Dispel, but then add a limitation "Temporarily suppressed if a Dispel would have worked on the base power. Returns at a rate per normal healing." (-¼). Now it looks like the curse can be removed over and over, but keeps returning, when it fact it is always in effect.

That's an intriguing notion. It would be a chronic condition that could be alleviated temporarily.

I suppose a similar ability could be done to write up a chronic illness that can afflict characters.

To have it reoccur even after being "dispelled"' date=' buy a Transform with a couple of levels of Difficult to Dispel, but then add a limitation "Temporarily suppressed if a Dispel would have worked on the base power. Returns at a rate per normal healing." (-¼). Now it [i']looks[/i] like the curse can be removed over and over, but keeps returning, when it fact it is always in effect.

Transform still can't be dispelled. The only things that can counter it are it's healing condition or a Transform on similar level.

So' date=' yes, they can be affected by Transform attacks and be turned into chairs or whatever, but Shape Shift should bring them right back, unless it was a Transform that would remove that specific power. If no such form of the power exists in the game, then it works like an absolute.[/quote']

I know very little chairs with inherent Shapeshifting, both in RL and CU. And I think most others don't know of such chairs either. As such, a Severe Transform (Living being to Chair) would totally disable that power as well (because chair's dont have it). The same way a "Turn to Stone" or "Turn to Frog" does.

Besides, Shape Shift has no effect on the powers of the being. It only changes appereance. So even if you still have it after being transformed to a chair, you would only "look" like yourself but still have the physical powers of a chair (some body, PD, ED - nothing else).

I know very little chairs with inherent Shapeshifting, both in RL and CU. And I think most others don't know of such chairs either. As such, a Severe Transform (Living being to Chair) would totally disable that power as well (because chair's dont have it). The same way a "Turn to Stone" or "Turn to Frog" does.

Besides, Shape Shift has no effect on the powers of the being. It only changes appereance. So even if you still have it after being transformed to a chair, you would only "look" like yourself but still have the physical powers of a chair (some body, PD, ED - nothing else).

That's an interesting ruling you've asserted on how Transform and Shape Shift interact. Do you have a quote from the rulebooks or Steve Long to back up that assertion?

Transform still can't be dispelled. The only things that can counter it are it's healing condition or a Transform on similar level.

How the character returns to normal has to be defined when the Transform is bought. Healing is one common way, but no amount of healing would help the Frog Prince; he required a kiss from a princess. Since this is a curse, a Dispel seemed to me to be a reasonable way to define the reversal condition. It could be something else, but if I were a player trying to get rid of a curse, a Dispel would seem like a logical choice to try.

How the character returns to normal has to be defined when the Transform is bought. Healing is one common way' date=' but no amount of healing would help the Frog Prince; he required a kiss from a princess. Since this is a curse, a Dispel seemed to me to be a reasonable way to define the reversal condition. It could be something else, but if I were a player trying to get rid of a curse, a Dispel would seem like a logical choice to try.[/quote']

I agree that an appropriate Dispel should work on a curse Transform.

That's an interesting ruling you've asserted on how Transform and Shape Shift interact. Do you have a quote from the rulebooks or Steve Long to back up that assertion?

"A character with Shape Shift can change his form as perceived by one or more Sense Groups without altering his powers or other abilities." - 6E1 277, Shape shift. First sentence.

"For example, Transforming a superhero into a frog deprives him of his powers." - 6E1 306, Adding/Removing powers with transform.

How the character returns to normal has to be defined when the Transform is bought. Healing is one common way' date=' but no amount of healing would help the Frog Prince; he required a kiss from a princess. Since this is a curse, a Dispel seemed to me to be a reasonable way to define the reversal condition. It could be something else, but if I were a player trying to get rid of a curse, a Dispel would seem like a logical choice to try.[/quote']

A Dispel isn't the logical way. It's a gameconstruct to stop Constant or Persistant Powers. At tops it can "counter" an instant power during activation.

Since only Transform can coutner a transform, the simpelest way is a GM definition that "every Transform aming to counter this, must be defined as 'heals over time'". That way it is simply defined that there is no way other than using the healing condition of the Transform.

"

A Dispel isn't the logical way. It's a gameconstruct to stop Constant or Persistant Powers. At tops it can "counter" an instant power during activation.

Since only Transform can coutner a transform, the simpelest way is a GM definition that "every Transform aming to counter this, must be defined as 'heals over time'". That way it is simply defined that there is no way other than using the healing condition of the Transform.

Being kissed by a princess isn't a logical way to cure a Transform either. From a game mechanics standpoint, you are correct: Dispel shouldn't affect Transform. But from a sfx standpoint if someone has a magical curse on them and I have a Dispel Magic spell, then there is some logic to the idea that I should try and dispel it since it is magical. Basically I am banking on the hope that the reversal condition is that someone casts Dispel Magic. If the reversal condition isn't someone using a Dispel, then I am out of luck, but it doesn't hurt to try.

In a question I posed to Steve Long, I asked about the interaction of Shape Shift and Transform. He said that while Shape Shift can't directly negate the Transform, it would still allow other abilities to work that didn't directly negate the Transform. So a superhuman transformed into a frog could still use Flight or Stretching unless the Transform is specifically set up to remove powers.

The curse I am trying to build is for a man turned into a woman in an Urban Fantasy Hero setting. It changed him physically, and any 'cures' he finds just don't seem to last. The curse always seems to return, transforming him back into a woman.