Pixar's the Incredibles

martin4frogs

Anyone out there ever run a game based on the world/events from the Incredibles?

I'm going to try run a game for my brother and his 11 year old daughter at some point here. Neither have ever tried HERO and I thought it would be a good way to get them into the game.

Anyway, my real reason for posting is this:

What do you think that world would present for stories/hooks and what kind of social environment do you think they would face. I'm thinking of the game happening after the end of the first movie.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Re: Pixar's the Incredibles

The Incredible's world seems to lend itself to some very simple builds as well. It seemed that most folks, except Jack-Jack and Syndrome only had one power or a real tight group of powers based on a theme. Ideal for beginning players and GMs.

Check out these as a starting point. I must always show Surbrook's Stuff love when it comes to movie write-ups.

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationswesternanimation/wanimatedchar.html

@csyphrett - I did a search and all I came up with was something about best movies of 2004, if you could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome.

@assault - I have seen that one and I agree that it would work to a point, as well.

@lapsedgamer - That site is awesome, thanks.

And would they be allowed back? Legislation can take a while to repeal, especially when it was based around such a heated topic. As for government funded, I'm not so sure about that one. I guess each group/team could have a government liaison to keep them in check, or something. Just looking to see if people have ideas on it that I might be overlooking.

Also, it seems like several of the heroes were "eliminated" by Syndrome. Would that make more of the heroes reluctant to start back up?

The Incredible's world seems to lend itself to some very simple builds as well. It seemed that most folks' date=' except Jack-Jack and Syndrome only had one power or a real tight group of powers based on a theme. Ideal for beginning players and GMs.[/quote']

Mostly true, though Violet has invisibility and purple force fields, which really have nothing to do with each other other than being an homage to Sue Storm.

Mr. Incredible has invulnerability, super strength and... danger sense...

Some of the killed off screen characters had somewhat odd power combinations as I recall:

- Everseer was a telepath with super vision powers

- Stratogale could fly, had super strength and could talk to birds (but was obviously not invulnerable, due to her cape based death)

- Splashdown was basically Aquaman, if Aquaman could fly and be killed by having a cape.

- Meta-Man had a really odd, almost random collection of powers.

Most of the heroes were already gov funded, many of the old school would be retired and doing well in their second career.

I think Gazerbeam was a lawyer for super rights before he was killed.

Their kids might want some action, so I can see a second generation like Dash and Vi with a third gen after Jack Jack grew up some.

CES

Mostly true, though Violet has invisibility and purple force fields, which really have nothing to do with each other other than being an homage to Sue Storm.

Mr. Incredible has invulnerability, super strength and... danger sense...

Some of the killed off screen characters had somewhat odd power combinations as I recall:

- Everseer was a telepath with super vision powers

- Stratogale could fly, had super strength and could talk to birds (but was obviously not invulnerable, due to her cape based death)

- Splashdown was basically Aquaman, if Aquaman could fly and be killed by having a cape.

- Meta-Man had a really odd, almost random collection of powers.

I didn't realize those characters had been done up in any detail. Are you basing that on the Incredible DVD extras from the two-disc set, or is there another source? I have to admit that I only watched part of the extras though I own that set. I do remember some lists of powers in that. I might dust it off an take a closer look.

I forgot to mention Violet because basically I think those powers go together now after reading the Fantastic Four for so long.

Also, strength and toughness together are a given in supers builds. The only time you don't see them together is when they are trying to subvert the trope.

I didn't realize Mr. Incredible had actual Danger Sense. I just thought he was supposed to be really good. You know, I'm still geeking out over it.

I didn't realize those characters had been done up in any detail. Are you basing that on the Incredible DVD extras from the two-disc set' date=' or is there another source? I have to admit that I only watched part of the extras though I own that set. I do remember some lists of powers in that. I might dust it off an take a closer look. [/quote']

Yep, the DVD has government profiles for a bunch of the Supers.

Also, strength and toughness together are a given in supers builds. The only time you don't see them together is when they are trying to subvert the trope.

I didn't realize Mr. Incredible had actual Danger Sense. I just thought he was supposed to be really good. You know, I'm still geeking out over it.

Yeah, they pretty much always go together and have gone together since Hugo Donner. Danger Sense, on the other hand, is pretty uncommon in a brick. That detail was also hiighted on the DVD extras and I THINK it was mentioned during the commentry.

It should also be notd that Violet may have some kind of flight/tk/anti-grav power, since she can seemingly levitate stuff inside her bubbles. And Dash arguably has some degree of super toughness, considering the stuff that happens to him yet doesn't really seem to hurt (i hink that's on the DVD too).

Yep, the DVD has government profiles for a bunch of the Supers.

Yeah, they pretty much always go together and have gone together since Hugo Donner. Danger Sense, on the other hand, is pretty uncommon in a brick. That detail was also hiighted on the DVD extras and I THINK it was mentioned during the commentry.

It should also be notd that Violet may have some kind of flight/tk/anti-grav power, since she can seemingly levitate stuff inside her bubbles. And Dash arguably has some degree of super toughness, considering the stuff that happens to him yet doesn't really seem to hurt (i hink that's on the DVD too).

All the supers in the Incredibles universe seemed to have a fairly high degree of resiliency.

Increased toughness is a required secondary power of superspeed. Without it they'll kill themselves in no time at all.

Believe he was that world's Daredevil. In his civilian ID he was Bob's lawyer when he was being sued in the opening.

yep, and he was the lawyer fighting to lift the ban in the paper, and the skeleton in the cave with the burned password on the wall.

Which leaves a question or two. How did he get in the cave? Why didn't he try to leave? Did he starve to death, or was he wounded by an earlier version of the omnidroid?

CES

was he wounded by an earlier version of the omnidroid?

That would be my guess. He knew he was dying and left a clue, just in case.

It might seem improbable that someone found it, but you know how probability works in a superheroic universe.... and at some level, he probably did too.

Increased toughness is a required secondary power of superspeed. Without it they'll kill themselves in no time at all.

Oh yeah, it's common that speedsters have some kind of extra protection in their build so that they don't die from random impacts.

Dash seems to go a bit beyond the norm though.

In one scene he falls a great distance after catapulting him self into the air at super speeds. He lands on a metal vehicle that is also moving really fast in the opposite direction.

Not only is he not hurt, he barely registers what just happened to him.

Oh yeah, it's common that speedsters have some kind of extra protection in their build so that they don't die from random impacts.

Dash seems to go a bit beyond the norm though.

In one scene he falls a great distance after catapulting him self into the air at super speeds. He lands on a metal vehicle that is also moving really fast in the opposite direction.

Not only is he not hurt, he barely registers what just happened to him.

While I agree he's tough, I don't think I'd read too much into things like this in the Incredi-verse. Either all of the supers have some sort of resistant protection, or the rules of physics are generally played much looser (maybe both). The only person I saw who really suffered the effects of derring-do was Mr. Sansweet, and that was part of the gag. People were worried about dying, but it didn't seem like it was actually that easy to kill a super by accident unless it was funny. Dash clearly did not want to be shot, but he shrugged of damage that would kill most folks. You assume that Syndrome had a forcefield or armor in his costume, even little Buddy got a pass when he was flying around on those jet boot.

I smell house rules that make supers exceprionally tough except when confronted by super powers and super tech. The damage done to them by the normal environment and incidentals should be played down to keep things going briskly. "What could happen? We're superheroes."

Doesn't the Champions genre book state that its assumed as part of the genre? So you wouldn't actually need to buy additional toughness to represent friction resistance, eyes that can withstand the pressure, etc. Buying toughness separately would be a separate type of all-around toughness rather than "tough enough to withstand my speed power's effects on my body." Otherwise Flash could never carry anyone or they'd die unless they were super tough too.

Unless that's what you meant anyway.

Doesn't the Champions genre book state that its assumed as part of the genre? So you wouldn't actually need to buy additional toughness to represent friction resistance, eyes that can withstand the pressure, etc. Buying toughness separately would be a separate type of all-around toughness rather than "tough enough to withstand my speed power's effects on my body." Otherwise Flash could never carry anyone or they'd die unless they were super tough too.

Unless that's what you meant anyway.

Sure, to some extent that's true. However, you also have to take into account the mechanics of the game system. If you are playing someone who may use Move Through and Move By on a regular basis or my have a turn mode related accident, you need to be somewhat tough. Also, you don't want to fold like Kleenex when a low-level NPC gets in a lucky shot.

I haven't watched the movie for a while so I don't remember all the background you guys are talking about, or was that in some kind of "extras" stuff? Sounds neat.

Does Dash do move-throughs and move-bys? I don't really remember him doing much fighting, just running. But like I said, I haven't watched it in a long time. Next chance I'll get to see it will probably be when my son's old enough to sit through a movie and enjoy it.

It sounds like it would be pretty neat to play in a game set in their world, or a similar homemade setting.