Challenge : Mister Fantastic of the Fantastic Four

Opale

Hellooo heroes and fellows !

my players and I had a long discussion about abilities and powers of known super-heroes, and how to build them into HERO system.

And Mr Fantastic came to our mind, and I said just ooops...

How would you build such a character, providing you get enough points to make it so indestructible he seems to be ?

I recently discovered the expensive builds of Hulks from Enforcer, and I tell myself prolly Mr Fantastic would need such an interest.

By extension, maybe how to build the entire team, without a real cost limit, just to make them fit to their reputation.

:)

Here is a start for savant Reed Richards :

Powers :

Mister Fantastic can shift his body (or portions of same) into a super-malleable state, enabling him to stretch, compress, expand, deform, elongate, contract or otherwise reshape his physical form at will. He can stretch his limbs, neck and torso to incredible lengths, though extending himself beyond approximately 1500 feet is a serious physical strain. When assuming non-humanoid shapes, he tends to favor simple constructs such as barricades, canopies, cylinders, cubes, nets, parachutes and spheres, generally assuming a volume of no greater than 1.7 cubic feet (though he can expand far beyond that volume if the shape he forms is thin-shelled and hollow). He can render himself paper-thin, or become slim enough in diameter to thread the eye of a needle. His malleable form renders him relatively immune to most conventional impacts; for instance, bullets fired into his body tend to bounce back at the shooter, and he can bodily contain small explosions. It is almost impossible to lacerate or puncture his skin unless he consciously allows such penetrations. By reshaping his features, Reed can disguise himself at will.

Opale

Making more Yoga for suppleness.

Re: Challenge : Mister Fantastic of the Fantastic Four

Mister Fantastic - Matt's Champions Page - The 250 Point Project

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi2/mathew/csmisterfantastic.html

Mister Fantastic - Dejay's Champions Write Ups

http://www.mactyre.net/scm/deejay/champs/characters/FF/mr_fantastic.html

Mister Fantastic - Marvel Database Project

http://marvel.wikia.com/Reed_Richards_%28Earth-616%29

Cheers

QM

DIGITAL HERO #13, p. 63

Commando Rubberbando by Ed Hastings

Val Char Cost Roll Notes

10 STR 0 11- Lift 100 kg; HTH 2d6 [1]

18 DEX 24 13- OCV: 6/DCV: 6

15 CON 10 12-

15 BODY 10 12-

13 INT 3 12- PER Roll: 12-

13 EGO 6 12- ECV: 4

10 PRE 0 11- PRE Attack: 2d6

12 COM 1 11-

5 PD 3 Total: 14 PD (9 rPD)

5 ED 2 Total: 14 ED (9 rED)

4 SPD 12 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

6 REC 2

30 END 0

30 STUN 2

Total Characteristics Cost: 82

Movement: Running: 20”/26”

Leaping: 20”/22”

Swimming: 2”/4”

Cost Powers END

23 Rubberbando Body: Elemental Control, 46-point powers

15 1) Rubberbando Reach: Stretching 6”, Reduced Endurance 0 END (+½); No Noncombat Stretching (-¼),Range Modifier Applies (-¼) 0

22 2) Rubberbando Flight/Slingshot: Leaping +14” (6”/20” forward, 3”/10” upward) (Accurate), Combat Acceleration/Deceleration (+¼), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½), Usable Simultaneously (+½); No Noncombat Movement (-¼) 0

15 3) Rubberbando Stride: +13” Running (20” Total), Reduced Endurance (0 END, +½); No Noncombat Movement (-¼), Turn Mode (-¼) 0 6 Snap-back: Knockback Resistance -4”;

Nonpersistent (-¼) 0

Martial Arts: Commando Training

Maneuver OCV DCV Notes

4 Charge +0 -2 8d6 +v/5, FMove

4 Choke -2 +0 1 Limb; 4d6 NND

4 Crush +0 +0 10d6 Crush, Must

Follow Grab

5 Flying — +4 Dodge; Abort; Dodge FMove

5 Flying Grab -2 -1 2 Limbs, 40 STR to Hold; FMove

3 Flying +0 -1 6d6+v/5; Both Tackle Fall; FMove

4 Hold -1 -1 3 Limbs, 40 STR to Hold

4 Martial +2 +2 Block, Abort Block

5 Passing -1 -1 Disarm, 40 STR to Disarm Disarm; FMove

5 Passing Strike+1 +0 6d6 +v/5; FMove

5 Passing +0 +0 6d6 +v/5; Target Throw Falls; FMove

4 Reversal -1 -2 45 STR to Escape; 2 Limbs

4 Root +0 +0 45 STR to Resist; Block; Abort

4 Sacrifice +2 -2 6d6+v/5; FMove Lunge

16 +4 HTH Damage Classes (added in)

Perks

2 Reputation: Black Superhero & Civil Rights Activist, 8- (Large Group, African-Americans) +2/+2d6

1 Money: Military Retirement

1 Money: Settlement with Rubbero Rubberband Company

12 Contact: Old Army Buddies 8- (Significant Contacts of Their Own, Useful Skills or Resources, Good Relationship), Group Contact (+2)

Talents

18 Rubbery Body: Combat Luck (9 PD/9 ED)

Skills

10 +1 Overall

9 +3 with Martial Arts

7 Breakfall 15-

1 Climbing 8-

1 Combat Driving 8-

1 Concealment 8-

1 Demolitions 8-

1 Fast Draw 8-

1 Interrogation 8-

2 KS: US Armed Forces 11-

2 Navigation (Land) 12-

1 Paramedics 8-

2 PS: Soldier 11-

3 Stealth 13-

3 Streetwise 11-

3 Survival (Desert, Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical) 8-

3 Tactics 12-

3 Teamwork 13-

1 Tracking 8-

5 TF: Common Motorized Ground

Vehicles, Everyman Rebate, Parachuting, Advanced, Parachuting, Basic, SCUBA, Small Motorized Boats, Wheeled Military Vehicles

6 WF: Blades, General Purpose/Heavy Machine Guns, Grenade Launchers, Shoulder-Fired Weapons, Small Arms

3 Linguist

1 1) Language: Afrikaans (basic)

1 2) Language: Arabic (basic)

1 3) Language: Burmese (basic)

1 4) Language: Slovenian (basic)

1 5) Language: Serbo-Croatian (basic)

1 6) Language: Swahili (basic)

1 7) Language: Turkish (basic)

1 8) Language: Ukrainian (basic)

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 268

Total Cost: 350

200+ Disadvantages

15 Dependence: Rubbero Industrial-Strength Rubber Treatment (Extremely Difficult to

Obtain, 5d6 Damage per Month)

20 DNPC: Ex-Wife Margerie, kids Donel (16), Shaniqua (12), Jacquelyn (9) 8- (Normal, Group x4)

15 Distinctive Features: Lanky, Jointless Body, Moves Strangely (Not Concealable)

20 Normal Characteristic Maxima

20 Psychological Limitation: Patriot (Common, Total)

20 Psychological Limitation: Code of the HERO (Very Common, Strong)

5 Reputation: “Black Gumby” 8-

5 Rivalry: Personal Enmity with ZigZag (Rival is As Powerful, Seek to Outdo, Rival Aware of Rivalry)

10 Susceptibility: Cold Weather (Common, 1d6 damage per Minute)

20 Vulnerability: 2x BODY and STUN from Cold Attacks (Uncommon)

Total Cost: 350

Here's a similar thread I started back in February but never finished. I just recently purchased Marvel Masterworks Vol 2 containing the early issues of Fantastic Four so I might get inspired again to tackle this.

I would probably take a very similar approach to how I built Plastic Man for the JLA:350 (link in sig below) with minor variations due to defense power changes in 6e. I probably wouldn't have Mr. Fantastic start with any kind of Martial Arts to start out with to help free up points for skills and his "gadgeteering" abilities. (just like Spider-Man/Danger Sense & Wonder Woman/Missile Deflection, Mr. F is probably the poster boy for Gadgeteering being included as it's own distinct ability in early editions of Champions).

What era Mr. Fantastic are you looking for? 'Cause he can do a whole lot more now than he did in the '60s...all the characters seem to have used superpower steroids since then!

Last version, full powered, so to speak

• 1 year later...

Here's a version of Mister Fantastic from a set of Fantastic Four builds I worked up recently.

His Gadget Pool was a bit of a quandary for me. I felt it had to be large enough to accomplish some of the really major effects he's managed in the comics like massive Negative Zone portals and time machines that can move multiple people. That sort of stuff takes a lot of prep/build time, but he's also occasionally pulled gadgets out of his hat on short notice like the thought projector helmet that helped them beat Gladiator in FF #250. I opted for the Can Only Be Changed In A Laboratory Limitation rather than some specific amount of Extra Time.

Here's a version of Mister Fantastic from a set of Fantastic Four builds I worked up recently. His Gadget Pool was a bit of a quandary for me. I felt it had to be large enough to accomplish some of the really major effects he's managed in the comics like massive Negative Zone portals and time machines that can move multiple people. That sort of stuff takes a lot of prep/build time' date=' but he's also occasionally pulled gadgets out of his hat on short notice like the thought projector helmet that helped them beat Gladiator in FF #250. I opted for the Can Only Be Changed In A Laboratory Limitation rather than some specific amount of Extra Time.[/quote']

Where are the point totals?

Here's a version of Mister Fantastic from a set of Fantastic Four builds I worked up recently. His Gadget Pool was a bit of a quandary for me. I felt it had to be large enough to accomplish some of the really major effects he's managed in the comics like massive Negative Zone portals and time machines that can move multiple people. That sort of stuff takes a lot of prep/build time' date=' but he's also occasionally pulled gadgets out of his hat on short notice like the thought projector helmet that helped them beat Gladiator in FF #250. I opted for the Can Only Be Changed In A Laboratory Limitation rather than some specific amount of Extra Time.[/quote']

Where are the point totals?

In the usual places, Total Characteristics at the end of that section on page 1, Total Powers & Skills and Total Cost just before the Complications on page 2.